BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
drmd
Rep
Drives: X3

Question Problem in Nav on new X3!!!

I picked up my X3 2012 yesterday. Navigation is completely bizarre, shows current location 150 miles from real location. Sucks!!! will be contacting dealer today. Happen with anyone else?

Rest of idrive seems fine...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Have not experienced that. Was it that way from the start? Have you sat still someplace outside with a good satellite view and let it try to find itself for some time?

What's it do when you're driving? Does it show the vehicle going along off the roads in that incorrect location?

Hoping there's an easy "reset" or something that clears it right up for you.
      11-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think I read somewhere that it needs to calibrated before first use. Perhaps yours hasn't been calibrated.

Could also try an iDrive reset. Hold down the power button (volume knob) for 30s

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
drmd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Have not experienced that. Was it that way from the start? Have you sat still someplace outside with a good satellite view and let it try to find itself for some time?

What's it do when you're driving? Does it show the vehicle going along off the roads in that incorrect location?

Hoping there's an easy "reset" or something that clears it right up for you.
Thanks. It shows incorrect location while driving. I will try reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
drmd
Rep

Reset didn't help. Never thought dealer visit will be so soon!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

It seems you have satellites locking issue. Move your car to a location under a clear sky, park it there. Switch on Nav and wait for Nav to lock the satellites and show you correct location on map. Some times it takes about 15 minutes to get the first time lock with 3 to 4 sattelites, have patience. Once it gets locked, you will not see this issue in future.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
drmd
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
It seems you have satellites locking issue. Move your car to a location under a clear sky, park it there. Switch on Nav and wait for Nav to lock the satellites and show you correct location on map. Some times it takes about 15 minutes to get the first time lock with 3 to 4 sattelites, have patience. Once it gets locked, you will not see this issue in future.
Tried everything. Stood stationary for 30 mins. Still shows me 150 miles from my current location.

Hopefully dealer can fix it. Service guy on phone said he has never seen such issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmd View Post
Tried everything. Stood stationary for 30 mins. Still shows me 150 miles from my current location.

Hopefully dealer can fix it. Service guy on phone said he has never seen such issue.
When you drive does the position change?
If so, then my guess would be that the antenna is ok, but the processing unit is defective.

Anyhoo, take it in and get it fixed...let us know what they found.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

I had a similar problem with a GPS receiver (not my X3 GPS) and it was the hardware itself that was broken (the antenna). Basically the receiver couldn't lock enough satellite to precisely determine my position. While I was driving, the position was updated but always off (by around 2-3 km).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
drmd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
When you drive does the position change?
If so, then my guess would be that the antenna is ok, but the processing unit is defective.

Anyhoo, take it in and get it fixed...let us know what they found.
Today somehow it shows correct location and navigation. Hopefully I wont have problem ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
I had a similar problem with a GPS receiver (not my X3 GPS) and it was the hardware itself that was broken (the antenna). Basically the receiver couldn't lock enough satellite to precisely determine my position. While I was driving, the position was updated but always off (by around 2-3 km).

That reminds me... With my Garmin I can bring up the screen that shows which and how many satellites are locked, and the accuracy. Is there a way to do that with BMW Nav?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Unfortunately not.
      11-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
shaikh_sakib
Sak
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

Any updates on this that you can share?

I was drving in Toronto core and found the GPS icon of my vehicle was off by 10-15 metres or so.

I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but with my Tom Tom I have been use to just looking at the GPS and know precisely where to turn vs. having to read the street signs and confirming if this is the correct street... this is more of an issue when you are in a city where you have interesections that are fairly close and 10-15 metres apart so it gets confusing which street to turn on

In many cases, I found that the beacon detailed that I was in the middle of an intersection, 5-10 meteres after passing it.

Is it just me, or is the Nav messed up?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikh_sakib View Post
Any updates on this that you can share?

I was drving in Toronto core and found the GPS icon of my vehicle was off by 10-15 metres or so.

I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but with my Tom Tom I have been use to just looking at the GPS and know precisely where to turn vs. having to read the street signs and confirming if this is the correct street... this is more of an issue when you are in a city where you have interesections that are fairly close and 10-15 metres apart so it gets confusing which street to turn on

In many cases, I found that the beacon detailed that I was in the middle of an intersection, 5-10 meteres after passing it.

Is it just me, or is the Nav messed up?
I’ve only encountered that when I’m in Downtown Chicago and the tall buildings and narrow streets block out the satellites. Otherwise I am where it says I am.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #15
arvid
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M-sport

I also have the same problem, my car is at the dealer, they have ordered a new antenna...
Appreciate 0