BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #45
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
I don't know about Norway, but here what you just described would essentially cause another revolution. Probably would not get to that since we would vote them out within 2 years. Americans don't particularly like paying taxes. Especially at that level. Good luck to you and your fellow Norwegians.
As the world is turning nowadays you too will be heavily taxed in the future I think.. Someone has to pay for the huge US deficit due to all the wars and for all the bank-scams.. and in the end it will be the US people the bill is handed to..

Just my 2 cents..

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-18-2011 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #46
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
As the world is turning nowadays you too will be heavily taxed in the future I think.. Someone has to pay for the huge US deficit due to all the wars and for all the bank-scams.. and in the end it will be the US people the bill is handed to..

Just my 2 cents..
Anything is possible, but I'm not seeing that level of taxation here flying very far or for very long.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #47
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Anything is possible, but I'm not seeing that level of taxation here flying very far or for very long.
Hope youre right.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #48
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
The seam is not a big thing but it draws down the overall impression.. I understand you don't care about details as far as the engine and the outside looks good.. god for you, I would not employ you to my team...

Just to quote your own american author,William Feather:

"Beware of the person who can't be bothered by details."

And to quote the American businessman,Sanford I. Weill

"Details create the big picture."
Sorry! I never said "I don't care about details". What I did imply however was that the "details" that matter to me may be "details" that don't matter to you and of course, vice versa. Some people are willing to spend thousands of dollars to experience tiny taste "details" in a bottle of rare wine, and others could care less and are happy with something that costs 2 Euros/liter. It's all a matter of where your preferences lie. In fact, as some people who have followed my posts on this list have said, I’m way too concerned with insignificant details (see my thread about the type of screws used to fasten license plates to the X3).

I’m sorry that you are disappointed with the finish details on your vehicle and suspect that if you bring the issue up with your dealer and state how important it is to you, BMW might replace the sealer sections that are sloppy and repaint them for you. I sincerely hope that this is resolved to your satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #49
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

US wars? Right. That's like calling WWII a US war. Understandable though considering how Norway did in that war. Caved instantly and hung around waiting for the US to free its people. Perhaps that's when you got the notion of the amount of soul the Germans put into their work? I seem to remember they expended a few . . .

Hey, wait, what language are we speaking here? Norwegian? German? Huh, interesting.

I don't defend US auto companies. They produce poor products in my experience. To extend that to Americans and their workmanship and dedication is a mistake.
      06-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #50
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
US wars? Right. That's like calling WWII a US war.
History is always written by the winners, I know my history do you know yours?

In ww2 USA went to wars against Japan and its allies, thus against Germany, never against Germany direct,the US people was at first reluctant to go war against Germany, powers in the US needed an excuse for going to war, Pearl Harbour (1942) was this excuse.. (Do you see an parallel?) BTW Bush grandaddy financed the german war-machine.. ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004...secondworldwar )
And as I can recall the american magazine , the Time magazine, named the german leader "man of the year" in 1938.
Norwegian war history is not an proud moment you're right about this.
Maybe you can update me what happened to the Eisenhower captured german POWs after the war?

And yes there is something called country identity and labels. Does russian quality say the product is top of the class?
You say Swiss watch, German car , Italian Suit ,French fine wine, American Burger etc.. as a label of quality for where the product originally comes from.

I know there has been issues with products from the US compared to products from Germany

just my 2 cents, The car is great otherwise, and I am very pleased.

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-19-2011 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #51
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Isn't it time to call a halt to this intercontinental feuding?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #52
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

Also, you may have heard that Norway's "THINK" electric car company (Aurskog, Norway) (if it survives) is planning on producing its car in the US, not Norway. Hopefully they will bring in a top notch Norwegian caulk line inspector.

They moved the production to Valmet in Finland for a couple years ago. So the finish is probably better :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #53
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Even worse then, they should take time to make an nice finish if its only plastic.. The spikes are terrible. Very difficult to clean for dirt.. and as you can see I have a white car..
So go back to the dealer and demand that they tidy it up for you.
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)

Last edited by thefreeze; 06-19-2011 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: removed unnecessary comment
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 04:26 AM   #54
x99
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D (F25) since 1 of April

hopefully the factory will fix it

Hi,

This not a huge problem as long as corrosion is prevented on your car. BMW is high quality so we except more.. So improvement from the factory is excepted.

This is very simple to fix.. So Mr. Joe Wierda, BMW X3 Product Manager fix it for us!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #55
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

IMHO even the car cost $178,000 in Norway doesn't mean it has the quality of vehicle that cost $150,000 to build. The car's base price is $41,000 in the US, and probably the cost to build the car was only $25,000-30,000 (don't know for sure), the rest are bmw profit, freight, taxes, dealer's profit, and so on.
So it is the heavy taxation in your country that jack the price up to $178,000, therefore you can't expect the car to be built with the same quality of, say Bentley Continental.
I feel your pain though, I live in a country with heavy taxation on cars as well. X3 35i cost around $136,000 here, and the 2.0d i'm planning to get cost about $117,000 here.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #56
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
I don't know about Norway, but here what you just described would essentially cause another revolution. Probably would not get to that since we would vote them out within 2 years. Americans don't particularly like paying taxes. Especially at that level. Good luck to you and your fellow Norwegians.
I need to move to the US The Netherlands are not as worse as Norway when it comes to car prices though, a basic X3 35i starts at €68,300 which makes almost 98k US$. And that is without executive or high executive package, not one option selected. Income taxes looks to be same as in Norway, and salaries here are not particularly high. To add to that are the fuel prices, insane here, just like road tax!
      06-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #57
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
1)no
2) They don't, Norway has the oldest car-park in Europe maybe beaten by some of the old communist countries.. Its an paradox when the country is considered to be one of the wealthiest in the world considered pro capita...
3) 40-50%
4) 25% on food

Yes life sucks.. I know
Seems the Vikings are still pillaging, only it is their own villagers now.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #58
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
History is always written by the winners, I know my history do you know yours?

In ww2 USA went to wars against Japan and its allies, thus against Germany, never against Germany direct,the US people was at first reluctant to go war against Germany, powers in the US needed an excuse for going to war, Pearl Harbour (1942) was this excuse.. (Do you see an parallel?)
1. Pearl Harbor was bombed on December 7th 1941. (not 1942)
2. The US declared war on Japan on December 8th
3. Germany and Italy declared war on the US first, on December 11th (not the way around)

Pearl Harbor in and of itself was not an "excuse" to go to war with Germany. Germany declaring war on the US was.

It seems to me this thread is really about bashing America. If that is the case I suggest there are more apprropriate places to do that. These forums are for people to share their enthusiasm and love for their BMW. There is no reason this can't be done with out personal attacks or attacks on a particular group or nationality.

If you truly believe American products are so inferior, try living without any product that was invented, designed or produced in America for a month. You'd be shocked at what you had to live without. We're quite adept at many things other than burgers.

I hope you can find a way of enjoying the forums without the attacks.
      06-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #59
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
1. Pearl Harbor was bombed on December 7th 1941. (not 1942)
2. The US declared war on Japan on December 8th
3. Germany and Italy declared war on the US first, on December 11th (not the way around)

Pearl Harbor in and of itself was not an "excuse" to go to war with Germany. Germany declaring war on the US was.

It seems to me this thread is really about bashing America. If that is the case I suggest there are more apprropriate places to do that. These forums are for people to share their enthusiasm and love for their BMW. There is no reason this can't be done with out personal attacks or attacks on a particular group or nationality.

If you truly believe American products are so inferior, try living without any product that was invented, designed or produced in America for a month. You'd be shocked at what you had to live without. We're quite adept at many things other than burgers.

I hope you can find a way of enjoying the forums without the attacks.
Thanks, my mistake
Not bashing, one thing leads to another.. Pearl Harbor date was wrong and an type error, war declaration on Japan was also on Germany due to the Tripartite Agreement signed on 27 September 1940, Germany was obliged to join with Italy to defend its ally Japan.Adolf Hitler made his announcement at the Reichstag in Berlin saying he had tried to avoid direct conflict with the US. So technically war on Japan was war on Germany.

You must not forget that many million american citizens have german descent.. So the war issue was tricky..

The big question here is why you drive german cars with your attitude against germans..

I only complaint over bad finish on the welding seams... The car is great otherwise

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-19-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #60
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

I don't think BMW would allow the build quality to be different from one plant to another. BMW Group has around 20 different manufacturing facilities. Reports suggest that in the near future 40-50% of all BMW cars sold will be "soft off-roaders" from the X-range. Producing all these cars in a plant which would build "inferior" cars would not be very clever.

The facility in Spartanburg is one of the most modern and up-to-date. I don't think it looks very good. On the other hand I have no idea how they look compared to a E90.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #61
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Just have to answer this.
During the years after ww2 german engineers were captured and moved to the US,(space program by the nazi Von Braun who used slave labour in germany and was rewarded with amnesty and a fat salary, new identity by the US etc) also a lot of the inventions made by the US was made by foreign scientist recruited to the US for large salaries and unlimited science funds.
The brain-drain from al the corners of the world to the US is really the answer behind the technical leap, you had the money and paid for the science.
The problem is that the US could never hold on their inventions and now lately China and other asian countries are getting ahead while the US wards against bankruptcy .. Just my 2 cents..

And really, the car is great.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #62
x99
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D (F25) since 1 of April

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
I don't think BMW would allow the build quality to be different from one plant to another. BMW Group has around 20 different manufacturing facilities. Reports suggest that in the near future 40-50% of all BMW cars sold will be "soft off-roaders" from the X-range. Producing all these cars in a plant which would build "inferior" cars would not be very clever.

The facility in Spartanburg is one of the most modern and up-to-date. I don't think it looks very good. On the other hand I have no idea how they look compared to a E90.

That is true - a minor update to production instructions for BMW X3 would fix the these issues.

It is a great SAV/SUV - It looks even better as it should be displayed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #63
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Let's not feed the troll.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #64
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x99 View Post
That is true - a minor update to production instructions for BMW X3 would fix the these issues.

It is a great SAV/SUV - It looks even better as it should be displayed
beautiful car! Congrats!
Ser väldigt pen/fin ut i silver!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #65
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
You must not forget that many million american citizens have german descent.
I fall into that group.

Quote:
The big question here is why you drive german cars with your attitude against germans..
Please show me where I said anything disparaging about the Germans or any other group for that matter.
      06-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #66
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I fall into that group.
Me too, grandmother with german descent living in the US.. and an aunt and cousins in Toronto Canada.

The world is small...
Appreciate 0