BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Bimmer65
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M Sport

All black interior or...

I have ordered a Mineral silver X3 SE xDrive20d with all black interior, that is black leather, Fineline Wave trim, BMW individual anthracite roof and M-sport steering wheel. My reflection is, will it be too black? Should I change to Titan silver and go for red brown leather instead? Any suggestions wich will look best in real life? Does any have real pictures of the combinations? I´ve got visualizations from BMW German website, see pictures attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

It all comes down to personal preference. Personally, I like the all black. Perhaps that's because I have all black leather and carpet in my BMW

All in all I don't regret getting all black, I think it looks very sharp. My last Bimmer was beige leather, and it looked elegant. Obviously the all black doesn't do away with the elegance, but it does certainly show evey speck of dirt and blade of grass you drag into it! So if you don't shampoo the carpets and clean your seats, black might not be the option for you. (BMW is my hobby, so cleaning my cars is a joy. How many 21 year olds say that?! )

I would also add that all black interior does attract some heat from the sun... naturally. But it comes down to what you like personally and can continue to like for the duration of your ownership / lease. Frankly, the colors you posted above all look good to me. And if you have a wife stashed away somewhere, I highly advise consulting her concerning your seat options. Aparently, my racing seats are "just too much," for my fiance
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

I might also add that mineral silver and Titanium silver (they may be the same over in Europe, honestly not sure) look gorgeous on Bimmers, and although you didn't ask my opinion I think the new X3 F25's look great with it. Awesome choice!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

All black!

But then again, almost anything looks good with Titanium Silver.
      02-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

All black if you have the slightest doubt about the excessive redness of the red brown/chestnut color. Also, black will probably have a better acceptance if and when you decide to sell the car...
      02-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I have Mineral Silver, Black, Fineline Wave Wood and I really enjoy it. Couldn't imagine changing, really (and that's not to comment negatively on the color combos others like, this is just what works for me). I've owned several black interior cars, so it is definitely something I'm already accustomed to.

I would say that the vehicle feels more open than my 330i so I don't feel as much like I'm sitting "down" in the car (not that that was particularly the case in the 330i). While driving, particularly with a passenger, I almost exclusively dash, window, pillar, and headliner so it is not dominated by the interior. I'd suggest it's more about what you'd like to see as you approach and enter (or what would be good for rear passengers). The black looks great to me in that regard.

Need a bit of color for flare? Throw in colorful road blankets for your passengers.

Don't know if that all helps at all, but it's what came to mind.
      02-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
JamesBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

I really like the white stitching contrast with the black (I went with black, but also like the other colors). I was originally concerned because I just sold a Lexus (IS) with black leather and it scratched quite easily. The standard X3 leather is not nearly as comfortable (I actually thought it was leatherette when I first sat on it), but it seems a lot more durable so that eased my concern. With a kid and dog, durability is higher on my list than plushness.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Adding a sunroof help will help a black interior seem lighter. I've ordered titanium silver + black + alu + sunroof. I also like the look of the wood trim in the first pic above

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Reecie
Rep
Drives: Avant

Our test drive was Titanium Silver, black leather and Fine line wave. Seemed fine. The general sense of space in the car means it isn't a claustrophobic combo and it looks nice and smart.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

DO NOT get the Red/Brown leather, My wife saw a new X3 in dark (******* gray with it in her parking lot and said it looked HORRIBLE, she said its orange looking and the pictures on BMW.com do not show you the true color out in daylight. Probably only looks okay with black exterior, maybe white. Whoever ordered it probably didn't realize you can refuse a car even if special ordered if you don't like it (at least in the US you can).

As far as all black, my C63 has black leather, black wood trim and anthracite headliner and it is fine, especially if you have a sunroof, plenty of light will get into the car. Silver and black out interior is a pretty nice combo.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Black leather with dark wave wood looks very smart and classy

http://www.3dinterior.net/gallery/mo...3f25-002p.html

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody65 View Post
I have ordered a Mineral silver X3 SE xDrive20d with all black interior, that is black leather, Fineline Wave trim, BMW individual anthracite roof and M-sport steering wheel. My reflection is, will it be too black? Should I change to Titan silver and go for red brown leather instead? Any suggestions wich will look best in real life? Does any have real pictures of the combinations? I´ve got visualizations from BMW German website, see pictures attached.
I myself ordered the black on black interior with fineline wave.
Looks great. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490596
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #13
Bimmer65
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M Sport

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I´ll stick to the all black interior, but maybe adding the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
All black interior but lose the wood trim - the aluminum trim is much more contemporary. It's personal preference, but I find wood trim a little dated and pretentious.
      03-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
All black interior but lose the wood trim - the aluminum trim is much more contemporary. It's personal preference, but I find wood trim a little dated and pretentious.
Funny, this is my first car to order wood trim on purpose. I have had enough of aluminum and chrome and am excited for the wood...

I ordered mineral silver with the dark brown seats (not the reddish brown). Don't have it yet so can't tell you if it was a good idea, but I am replacing a white car with all black leather and aluminum trim, I just needed to shake things up a bit!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
Funny, this is my first car to order wood trim on purpose. I have had enough of aluminum and chrome and am excited for the wood...

I ordered mineral silver with the dark brown seats (not the reddish brown). Don't have it yet so can't tell you if it was a good idea, but I am replacing a white car with all black leather and aluminum trim, I just needed to shake things up a bit!
My interior choice was the dark wave wood and the Mojave dark brown Nevada leather and absolutely love it. You will be happy with your choices.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #17
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post

No worries man, at the end of the day there's no right or wrong answer. Personal preference is king. Still doesn't change the fact that the vehicle is sweet.