BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

Dinan Performance Software +X3 35i M Sport

Folks, I just received a 15% discount for my local BMW Dealer (Thompson BMW in Doylestown PA).

After giving them a call yesterday I spoke to the person who heads up Dinan BMW installments which they've been doing for many year - authorized BMW Dinan dealer/installer.

I asked what this would mean for my 2015 X3 and he said you can expect 76 hp increase and 80 torque increase - a very noticeable performance boast especially in the Sport + mode.

Total installment cost - $1998 (including labor). BMW factory warrantee maintained and I can remove the equipment when selling the car (eyes on the new X3 M in 2 years)

Has anyone installed this upgrade and do you think the performance is worth the cost?

thanks...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I think it is worth it for the warranty aspect and to some extent the performance ... It changes the car completely ... Of course there are other tunes on the market that maybe cheaper and faster but dinan puts enough extra power to change the driving characteristics but has the warranty to back it up. I had it installed on my n20 28i and havnt regretted spending that much because it is worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the quick response and your 'personal' experience with Dinan. The fact that BMW stand by the product and will perform the install is quite comforting. I figure this will get me by 2 years until the X3 M releases and I can trade in for the new model.

Most who I speak to say 60-70 hp increase along with torque is huge! So should be a lot of fun particularly in the sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

I wonder how much faster will the x3m be to justify the purchase of that car if you mod the current x3 with the dinan package?

I do want to mod my own 35i with dinan. But I could never fully enjoy the full potential to make it worth it for me.

The 35i is plenty fast for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep

Great point, and something I have to consider as I mull this over the next few weeks. I'm thinking if I can get at least 50% the cost back when I trade up, I'd be more positive about the purchase. Regarding HP and Torque, I really don't know what BMW has spec'd for the X3M. Will it be as much as 370hp????
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
mtbmaniac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, 2013 X3 MSport

I did the Dinan upgrade on my 2013 X3 M-Sport about two months ago. It really pulls now under wot acceleration runs. I have not timed my 0-60, 0-100, or 1/4 mile times as I'm not really into that kind of stuff, but my butt dyno tells me it's much faster. Overall drivability is about the same and my mpgs are about the equal if I don't have a heavy foot. My only complaint is that when it's cold in the morning the shift points in the first three gears both on upshifting and downshifting seam a bit more clunky and less smooth than before the upgrade. Overall I think the upgrade is worth the money given the warranty, the quality of Dinan products, and their R&D that goes into them. My local dealer gave me 15% off as well for being loyal customer and a BMW CCA member.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
mtbmaniac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, 2013 X3 MSport

Forgot to mention in my previous post that my X3 is the X35i.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytnt View Post
Thank you for the quick response and your 'personal' experience with Dinan. The fact that BMW stand by the product and will perform the install is quite comforting. I figure this will get me by 2 years until the X3 M releases and I can trade in for the new model.

Most who I speak to say 60-70 hp increase along with torque is huge! So should be a lot of fun particularly in the sport mode.
In the past Dinan would just flash the software onto the ECU (or at least thats what I thought) - is this new Dinan product for the N55 engine something that could be taken off of one car by the original owner and sold to someone else later?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmaniac View Post
I did the Dinan upgrade on my 2013 X3 M-Sport about two months ago. It really pulls now under wot acceleration runs. I have not timed my 0-60, 0-100, or 1/4 mile times as I'm not really into that kind of stuff, but my butt dyno tells me it's much faster. Overall drivability is about the same and my mpgs are about the equal if I don't have a heavy foot. My only complaint is that when it's cold in the morning the shift points in the first three gears both on upshifting and downshifting seam a bit more clunky and less smooth than before the upgrade. Overall I think the upgrade is worth the money given the warranty, the quality of Dinan products, and their R&D that goes into them. My local dealer gave me 15% off as well for being loyal customer and a BMW CCA member.
The dinan unit doesn't kick in till your engine is up to temperature according to Dinan tech. Not sure whether its your transmission or the engine or maybe just a loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
In the past Dinan would just flash the software onto the ECU (or at least thats what I thought) - is this new Dinan product for the N55 engine something that could be taken off of one car by the original owner and sold to someone else later?
The unit is transferable but only to another car with the same engine I believe but of course if you did put it in another model with the 35i a change in harness might be needed ... Not 100 % sure but 90% sure
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
The unit is transferable but only to another car with the same engine I believe but of course if you did put it in another model with the 35i a change in harness might be needed ... Not 100 % sure but 90% sure
You can sell the unit, but the warranty isn't passed along. DINAN's piggy back touches more parameters than the bargain names and comes with the support of your Dealer. For 60-70 reliable, largely risk free, hp, it's a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep

Great response from you all - many thanks. I'm feeling the love to make the investment. BMW dealership indicated I could trade-in the X3 35i M-sport with the upgrade or simply take the unit off and transfer to another vehicle (or sell) however you may be correct that the warranty is invalid at that point.

I too am a BMW CCA Member, perhaps that's worth another 5-10% discount... I'll have to check this out.

I'm pretty excited... now, can I convince my wife to make the investment
Appreciate 0