BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
njman83
335 power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 & 2011 e90 335xi

Skipping/glitches with Bluetooth - Galaxy s4

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with the bluetooth audio using a Galaxy s4? While streaming music (regardless of pandora or just mp3), after 5 or 10 minutes, the audio/bluetooth connection starts skipping and dropping signal. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue? I've moved the phone around, restarted the car and nothing seems to fix it. Just wondering before I go back with our brand new car (literally less than 2 weeks old).

Also, new to the forum and been watching this for some while! Glad to be a member here!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njman83 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with the bluetooth audio using a Galaxy s4? While streaming music (regardless of pandora or just mp3), after 5 or 10 minutes, the audio/bluetooth connection starts skipping and dropping signal. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue? I've moved the phone around, restarted the car and nothing seems to fix it. Just wondering before I go back with our brand new car (literally less than 2 weeks old).

Also, new to the forum and been watching this for some while! Glad to be a member here!
It isn't the car. It is the bluetooth stack in the phone. It is pretty widely known that the version of Android on the S4 and other android 4.2.x phones have a bluetooth stack that leaves a little to be desired. If you are the adventurous type, there is a community-based version of Android called Cyanogenmod. I have it on my S4 and it works flawlessly over bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
njman83
335 power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 & 2011 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
It isn't the car. It is the bluetooth stack in the phone. It is pretty widely known that the version of Android on the S4 and other android 4.2.x phones have a bluetooth stack that leaves a little to be desired. If you are the adventurous type, there is a community-based version of Android called Cyanogenmod. I have it on my S4 and it works flawlessly over bluetooth.
Thanks! Thats what I was hoping. Loving the new car and don't want to think there was a flaw with the new X3!

I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
im having same issues with S4, i was told my phone isnt compatible with X3 lol
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

A couple months back I actually tracked down one of the Cyanogenmod developers and offered my X3 and phone as test bed to help with the abysmal bluetooth, and with us working together we got the contact pictures and SMS send/rec via I-Drive working.

Now if I can get the BMW devs to pull their collective heads out of their a$$es and make an update available so my (pre-july build) '14 X3 will work with bmw apps, I'll be a happy man!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
rcliffor
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28

I don't use my S4 for music, but I have made many phone calls via Bluetooth and it has worked great.
Appreciate 0