BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #23
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

BMW should be on the hook for this unless they can prove the maintenance was not performed. Despite what dealers like you to think, you don't have to have your vehicle serviced by them to maintain the warranty. You can perform the maintenance yourself if you want too as long as you follow the service intervals and use the correct filters and oil. Obviously you should keep records to make it easier but in most states the manufacture is on the hook for proving the maintenance wasn't followed when denying the warranty.
      07-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

I believe the BMW service record for these vehicles is stored electronically in the key fob. Have you taken the key to a BMW dealership to have it scanned? If by chance it was serviced at a BMW dealership, the service record should be there. If not, the Georgia DMV should be able to put you in contact with the previous owner.

Another thing that can give you a blue puff of smoke on cold start is worn valve stem seals.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Iowa X3 - I don't know the design of the seal in question, but usually seals in similar applications are two ceramic rings under spring pressure, one stationary and the other spinning against it. On a microscopic level, the seal faces don't actually touch but ride on a thin film of oil. It seems to me that microscopic grit in the oil from combustion and engine wear could act as an abrasive and wear out such a seal.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
You can try a different service center, explain your case and bring your bill of sale to show date of ownership. Not all dealership run the same way. They are all own privately
Appreciate 0