BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Virually unlimited music via the USB

I have the USB port in the Centre Armrest that can play music from a memory stick etc.

The Handbook says not to use USB hard Drives or to charge an external device via the USB Port - I assume that the current drain for a USB Hard Drive or external charging device could be too high.

Therefore I am limited in number of tracks to my largest Memory Stick.

However
My USB Hard Drive (250GB came with an odd USB cable with an extra flying USB A connector specifically to pick up power. I also have a Cigerette lighter to USB Power adapter. Therefore I can power the USB Hard Drive from the adjacent Cigarette Lighter socket and connect the Hard Drive to the USB Port. See 1st jpg

The result is thaat I can have music (and I assume video) upto the storage capability of the spare USB Hard Drive.

The only limitation I found is that the iDrive doesnt seem to like the album folders not being at the root level.

I have dumped 20GB onto the hard drive and it seems very happy to randomly play from all the album folders. The lower jpg shows that I am playing 1 of 3752 tracks - that should take awhile before it repeats
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
I was able to find a 32G USB stick for $25 that holds the majority of my music. You are right - folders must be at the root level so I opened my iTunes folder and copied them directly out of there. Only difference between this and using an iPod is no playlist support and bands starting with "The" (i.e. The Band) are grouped in the "T's" instead of by band name as on the iPod
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
I was able to find a 32G USB stick for $25 that holds the majority of my music. You are right - folders must be at the root level so I opened my iTunes folder and copied them directly out of there. Only difference between this and using an iPod is no playlist support and bands starting with "The" (i.e. The Band) are grouped in the "T's" instead of by band name as on the iPod
I have playlists in each folder that show up when I go under Playlists. Definitely easier than navigating the folder structure for me.

BTW, I don't have have the root limitation described. Most of my music files are a couple levels deep without much problem, oriented like: "Artists" is the top level, with a folder for each artist, and each album is a sub of that like : Artists->King's X->Gretchen. Hasn't been an issue since day 1.

For full disclosure, here's what I'm using: Verbatim Store 'n' Stay 16GB. Doesn't fit 100% of my music, but only the 6-8 GB I love to listen to all the time.

P.S. Roger, you'll find that your drive requires more power than a single USB port will provide. I'm pretty sure it requires both for the drive's power threshold (above 5V, I assume).

Last edited by roundtree; 03-23-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Stupidity
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Why is this better than plugging an iPod Touch into the center armrest and being able to access all it's music and playlists? Or is it that you don't have an iPod Touch (or similar) and are looking to use what you have already?
      03-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtree View Post

P.S. Roger, you'll find that your drive requires more power than a single USB port will provide. I'm pretty sure it requires both for the drive's power threshold (above 5V, I assume).
No doubt this is drive dependent. I have had an 80GB 2.5" HDD plugged in to the USB only for the last 5 months without any problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
PGB
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
No doubt this is drive dependent. I have had an 80GB 2.5" HDD plugged in to the USB only for the last 5 months without any problems.
I have a 250Gb drive connected to the USB drive in the centre console. Have had it plugged in for about 6 months and its doing fine.

Main thing to think about is you have to use a 5400rpm drive instead of a 7200 rpm drive as the faster drive needs more power than the USB port puts out. I did this so I would still have the lighter port for charging phones or using the ipad (by the passenger!). I use the front port for SatNav when needed.

My drive has 25,000 songs and I have it on random and its great. The only issue is the spin up time can a minute or two given its a slow drive with a lot of songs. I've had no issues with folder structures on the drive.

Last edited by PGB; 03-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Added more content
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Why is this better than plugging an iPod Touch into the center armrest and being able to access all it's music and playlists? Or is it that you don't have an iPod Touch (or similar) and are looking to use what you have already?
The point is why waste money on an Ipod when a usb stick works just as well.

So thanks to OP for the details - My X3 arrives in May and I have a 64gb USB fully loaded ready for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In my case my iPod died and I didn't want to connect my iPhone all the time as I would probably forget to take it out. So, a new iPod was a couple hundred dollars versus a USB stick at <$30. A "no brainier" in my opinion (I already spent $$ adding a trailer hitch)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In my case my iPod died and I didn't want to connect my iPhone all the time as I would probably forget to take it out. So, a new iPod was a couple hundred dollars versus a USB stick at <$30. A "no brainier" in my opinion (I already spent $$ adding a trailer hitch)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hmm. No delete.....sorry for the multiple posts. iPhone issue....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
That was the main reason I went for a really, really small drive. Leave it in place and it doesn't take up any substantive space in the console. My only real gripe is the lag from the time the car starts to the time the drive is mounted and fully usable, but it's not unbearable (maybe, 60 seconds tops?).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
The point is why waste money on an Ipod when a usb stick works just as well.

So thanks to OP for the details - My X3 arrives in May and I have a 64gb USB fully loaded ready for it.
Gotcha. Cool deal!!