BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
bf360
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

F25 X3 Brake pad differences

I am looking to replace and upgrade the rotors and pads on my 2016 X3 35i, I was looking at the Centric GCX and the Hawk HPS 5.0. I am seeing on some websites that the HPS only fit "For vehicles with a production date from 08/2015" and have seen these on a couple different pad brands. Was there a change at all for the f25 x3 pads throughout the model years? My X3 is a 2016 with a June 2015 production date.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i M | 09 Mazda RX8 R3

I just replaced our rear brakes on our '13 35i Msport. Ordered coated Brembo rotors from rockauto for roughly $195 shipped CAD, EUR1473 Akebono Ceramic pads from amazon for $95 CAD shipped and had a local indy install for $140 CAD.

I did a lot of research and Akebonos seem to be the way most people go for aftermarket. They would fit your 2016. Pads weren't changed in the facelift i believe

Still have OEMs on the fronts. Brake feel has lost a bit of the BMW bite but I prefer that. Also expecting way less brake dust now with the coated/ceramic setup
Appreciate 1
pokerface432.50
      03-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

OP- what is your goal/purpose in terms of the 'upgrade'?

Stock pads and rotors on Bimmers are generally quite adequate fir street/daily driving in terms of stopping power. Stock pads tend to dust quite a bit but stock pad material is generally best for grab/initial bite, particularly when pads/rotors are cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
bf360
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post

Stock pads and rotors on Bimmers are generally quite adequate fir street/daily driving in terms of stopping power. Stock pads tend to dust quite a bit but stock pad material is generally best for grab/initial bite, particularly when pads/rotors are cold.
The stock braking has felt inadequate and is one part that I always felt was lacking, both in feel and in performance. I was looking to upgrade to something of a more street performance pad and saw many good reviews of the HPS 5.0 on other bmw platforms and they usually outperform other options.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post

The stock braking has felt inadequate and is one part that I always felt was lacking, both in feel and in performance. I was looking to upgrade to something of a more street performance pad and saw many good reviews of the HPS 5.0 on other bmw platforms and they usually outperform other options.
I've never used Hawk pads but have seen several posts indicating they are good performer- you'd need to give them a try and see for yourself. Perhaps Hawk is a better choice than Akebono as the ceramic pads from what I've read don't have the initial bite/pedal feel comparable to stock pads, most go ceramic in order to reduce dust.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
bf360
Rep

Anyone have any insight on the brake pad differences? Or is this a website error and all F25 X3 Pads are the same?
Appreciate 0