BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Parking Brake Issue After Rear Pad Change

Hey guys,

So I did a DIY rear brake pad change on the X3 last weekend and I just have an issue with the electronic parking brake.

During the pad change, I disconnected the cable and used a torx bit to turn the gear all the way until it stopped. Then I continued as usual and finished up connecting the motor and finally connecting the cable. However, while I was installing the pads, my wife sneaked into the car without me noticing and opened the driver door to get something out of the car. I immediately heard the gong and checked and it was the dreaded parking brake malfunction warning. Nothing I can do about that now so I hoped it will go away once I finish everything up.

After the job, I got into the car, pumped the brakes, then pulled the parking brake switch. Took a few seconds to engage as I expected and the warnings went away and I thought everything is back to normal.

I was wrong.... Yesterday the warning came back up again out of nowhere. TODAY... I started my car and pulled the switch to disengage the parking brake. However, it would not release. After many attempts at pulling and pushing the switch, it finally let go and I was able to drive away. Now I am not using the parking brake at all in case it happens again.

Any ideas on how to go about fixing this without going to the dealer? If not then as a final resort I'll stop by my local indy guy and see if can clear the error.

Thanks
Appreciate 0