BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
75bullish
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Stupid tail light question

Hi All

I have a 2011 X3 with the Xenon lights.

The "LED bars" on the trunk door (both sides) recently stopped lighting up. Since the warranty is already over, and I am cheap, My friend and I are trying to figure out what is the problem and see if it is an easy fix before I bring the car to the dealership.

After checking the power supply, there is power supply to both light bulbs (#2 and #3 in the picture). (Reverse lights, #2 in picture, are functioning fine) Both light bulbs are good. After reading the manual, I am now confused.

What is the other light bulb (#3 in picture) for?

1) Is it really for the brakes? I started the car and slammed on the brakes but those lights never light up.

2) How do those LED bars or tubes light up? Do they light up by themselves or are they dependent on the light bulb? In other words, are those tubes/bars related to the light bulb which never lights up in my case?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Look here for instructions on how to repair the tail lamp. You don't have to replace them.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ght=TAIL+LIGHT

Last edited by Barbera335; 05-09-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
75bullish
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thank you, we were actually referring to this post and the attachment when we tried to solve the problem.

But do the bar/tubes light up by that small bulb? Or do they light up like tube lights?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75bullish View Post
Thank you, we were actually referring to this post and the attachment when we tried to solve the problem.

But do the bar/tubes light up by that small bulb? Or do they light up like tube lights?
The tube is lit up by an LED driven by a small printed circuit board. The bulb you are referring to is used for brake force display. The reason why you were not able to see it is you have to have road speed along with aggressive brake pedal application. As you were just standing still the light would not illuminate. You can solve your problem by following the procedures listed in the post I linked you too. It is actually shown quite well in that post.
Appreciate 0