BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Cargo space

I'm looking to get an X3 to replace my wife's MDX, and wanted to know about real world experiences with the cargo space in the X3.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I routinely carry two intermediate dog crates side by side in my X3 behind the back seat. As I recall these are about 40" wide together and about 28" long. There is still some room on the sides.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I'm looking to get an X3 to replace my wife's MDX, and wanted to know about real world experiences with the cargo space in the X3.
Thanks.
I owned a(n) MDX about 7 years ago, switched to MB M-Class for a few years, but came back to BMW with the introduction of the 2nd Gen X3 in 2011 which my wife got. She gets the new X3 when time for a new one, and I get her used one, so we are an X3-only family and suspect it will remain that way for some years to come.

I refer to mine (the 2012) as my 'pickup', as I literally throw anything and everything in there. From boulders to fertilizer to 8' long 2x4s to wide landscape rakes and shovels, my saws and extension cords, and ... So I honestly haven't come across a time I needed more space (within reason and being cognizant of what I should or should not be able to transport).

The only issue in my mind, which will persist until the G01 release, is that the backseats don't lay flat when folded so because of that up angle if you have a tall and lengthy item which fits into the cargo area but then needs to be pushed forward because of the length, the height then becomes an issue. This happened recently with the purchase of a large mirror when there were three of us travelling (so I couldn't fold both rear seats forward). It was a very tight fit because of the up-angle of the back seat when folded.

My understanding of the G01 is that the rear seats will now be flat when folded, a significant advance if that holds true.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

I throw a lot of stuff in the back of mine. Large family with regular trips up North in the UK. She has more usable space then my previous 5 series
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Max, where did you pick-up that -rather intimate - INFO about rear seat folding on G01?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Max, where did you pick-up that -rather intimate - INFO about rear seat folding on G01?
Some months ago this started showing up in various articles about the G01. If one searches the key words 'G01 X3 rear seats' a fair number of hits come up, some of which also mention. One of the latest (20 Apr 2016) is here: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...2017s-g01-suv/ ("Inside the cabin, the redesigned seats are said to be slimmer and lighter than before, adjustable in length and recline front and rear, and fully collapsible to provide a long and even cargo area."). The earlier one (14 Jul 2014) I think I initially read was here: http://www.motortrend.com/news/we-he...w-engine-tech/ ("Interior packaging is said to be improved with a fold flat rear seat...")

As indicated, if this holds true in the production vehicles, this will be a significant advancement for those of us frequently hauling large items needing height and length.
Appreciate 0