BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
GuitarDTO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Our new X3, Performance Delivery Experience!

My wife and I just got back from taking delivery of HER new X3, from the performance delivery center in Spartanburg, SC. All I can say is what an amazing experience! You are treated like royalty from the moment you arrive at the airport. We laughed when our "shuttle" from the airport was a fully loaded X5. The hotel staff was extremely nice and obviously a well oiled machine for this program. So after doing a bit of sight seeing the day before and enjoying a fantastic dinner that evening, we went for what we came for the following morning.

The driving course was amazing. I was disappointed I didn't get to drive an M3 or M5, as I've heard they occasionally will let you drive vehicles that are different than what you are purchasing, but needless to say, after doing the various exercises it was impressive just how much the vehicles could take. My car is a 2008 335i and I've never driven it anywhere near as aggressively as the instructors had us driving the X3 on the course. My wife was scared to death at first with me behind the wheel, but we both soon were comfortable and realized the vehicle was easily controllable under extreme handling. The topping on this cake was riding in an M5 with an instructor driving. Holy crap is all I can say. Amazing.

The factory tour was a sight to see. I'm an engineer, and it was still the most impressive assembly factory I've seen. I wish I could have taken pictures inside the factory.

Now onto the vehicle. She ordered a 2012 x35i Deep sea blue metallic, nevada chestnut interior. Msport package, Tech Package and premium sound. The whole experience coupled with the vehicle sitting on the showroom floor waiting for us just made both of us extremely proud to own this vehicle. The only "surprise" to us was the tone of the interior. Our BMW dealer didnt have a single vehicle with this interior in person to look at, so we ordered based on the website pictures. The pictures on bmwusa do NOT illustrate the reddish tint. It's really quite strange/unique leather as it seems to change from reddish to brownish depending on the light hitting it. The most important part though, was despite our surprise at the difference, my wife loved it and so did I. The vehicle was very comfortable driving back even though we were told to go easy on it for the first 1200 miles and to try not to cruise at a constant speed (That's a little difficult on the interstate!!) Anyways, enough rambling and some pics of the new ride!

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

PCD really is a good experience. I picked up my 135 there in 2008, and hope to pick up my X3 soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
halohead52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 TS w/Mojave

Garage List
2011 F25 28i  [0.00]
2006 E46 330 CiC  [0.00]
Those colors together are super! Enjoy your new X!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

I would highly recommend it as well. We had a blast picking ours up 2/7/11!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Beautiful color combination. Thanks for sharing your Performance Delivery Experience, Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I wish this option was available for Canadian customers...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
GuitarDTO
Private
Rep

So I have a question for fellow x3 owners. Take a look at the last picture above. My wife pointed out the other day that one side of the black honeycomb mesh under the front grille is still filled in, and only has one hole/honeycomb punched out. Its almost as if the plastic mold didnt get punched out or something. The left and center are all completely punched out though. Just wondering if it's like this on all x 3's?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
So I have a question for fellow x3 owners. Take a look at the last picture above. My wife pointed out the other day that one side of the black honeycomb mesh under the front grille is still filled in, and only has one hole/honeycomb punched out. Its almost as if the plastic mold didnt get punched out or something. The left and center are all completely punched out though. Just wondering if it's like this on all x 3's?
The right side is open for the oil cooler on the 35, the other side has the air temp sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
GuitarDTO
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Quote:
The right side is open for the oil cooler on the 35, the other side has the air temp sensor.
So the side with the air temp sensor is supposed to be closed? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
no, just that one segment is supposed to be open on that side. the sensor measures the outside air temp. if the grate were completely closed in front of the sensor, then the sensor would just be exposed to air heated by the engine. your grills are just the way they're supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Great story and your x3 looks phenomenal! DSB with Chestnut are a great combo.
Appreciate 0