BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Navigation sys - Fully Functional Underway?

Does the X3 Navigation system retain full functionality while underway or are some functions disabled?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Does the X3 Navigation system retain full functionality while underway or are some functions disabled?
Mine does, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were various national laws and standards that made BMW change it for some markets...

Oh, and we dont say disabled. We say functionally challenged.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
By underway I am guessing you mean driving and not in park?

BMW's iDrive remains almost completely functional while driving... quite impressive if you ask me. The only thing it doesn't let you do is reset the TPMS and read the manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I remember seeing a mod so you could watch DVD movies while the bimmer was in motion. Not that watching DVD's is a brilliant move while you are moving.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Thanks for the responses.

My question is driven by a bad experience we currently have with a Lexus RX350 that renders many of the navigation functions inaccessible useless unless the vehicle is at a full stop. For example, my wife cannot search for restaurants or hotels while underway. It also means we cannot change the route unless we pull over and stop the car.

Although we plan to keep this Lexus, I need a smaller four wheel drive SUV for a long term assignment I have along the shore of Lake Ontario and must be able to safely deal with lots of snow. I have owned BMWs since I bought a new 1988 M3 and have always been partial to these magnificent driving machines.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
obtix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

We just used this last night, while moving I was able to program in the address of a restaurant we were going to. No issues and from what I can tell just the user manual and DVD video are disabled in motion.

I hear you with this - my dad has an Infiniti and he can not set an address when moving unless he speaks to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
voerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 530e

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

My question is driven by a bad experience we currently have with a Lexus RX350 that renders many of the navigation functions inaccessible useless unless the vehicle is at a full stop. For example, my wife cannot search for restaurants or hotels while underway. It also means we cannot change the route unless we pull over and stop the car.

Although we plan to keep this Lexus, I need a smaller four wheel drive SUV for a long term assignment I have along the shore of Lake Ontario and must be able to safely deal with lots of snow. I have owned BMWs since I bought a new 1988 M3 and have always been partial to these magnificent driving machines.
Yeah - my wife and I looked at the Lexus hybrid SUV. The "nanny" function of the nav system was a big turnoff when considering the car. You can not even dial a phone number except by voice command when moving. The same people you brought you drive by wire with no brake override have decided it is safer to stop on the side of an interstate to use your nav than allow updating while moving.

There is an aftermarket switch you can install to fake the nav into thinking you are parked. It is expensive and difficult to install.

We are very happy with our choice of the X3.

Lou
Appreciate 0