BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2022, 07:23 PM   #1
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
2011 x28i Transfer Case “Oil Wear” Reset

Hello all, maybe someone can shed some light on this. One. 2011 x28i with 162k miles. I have changed all the Diff fluid as well as the Transfer Case fluid 10k ago at 151K. When i did the transfer case I reset the VTG with ISTA+ and all was good. The other day i was doing some other maintenance and had VTG Fault Code “Oil Wear”. For the life of me I can’t figure out how to get rid of that code? I have went through the Service Function and calculated test plan and it said it completed successfully. I have also resent the VTG and tried clearing fault memory but this will not go away. Is there something I’m missing? A proper order to do this in? Ant help would be appreciated. BTW, I have read somewhere on the inter webs that the “oil wear” will show up at about 150k. I have seen some videos online of 3 series that used Autel scanner and there was a Transfer Case Oil Reset function?

EDIT: I posted this and then did some more digging….so I just did in this order……Service Function, Transfer Case recalibrate…..then cleared fault codes….then the Oil Wear was still ether and i went through the test plan and it completed again. Then I cleared then Fault Codes again and bathe Control Tree was all Green!

Last edited by brianhinton77; 03-13-2022 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Solved
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #2
Cuisor
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 2.0d f25

Hi, i did this operation recently with ista d, basically you need to Run some tests for The transfer case in order to get rid of the oil wear error and then do a recalibration and that s all
Appreciate 0