BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
MFox_Iowa
Rep
Drives: '04 X3

04 X3 3.0i -Engine Stumble

Hello All,

The vehicle has 92,000 mile and recently had air filter, NGK plugs, Transmission and Transfer case juice replaced. The spark plugs were replaced as there was
a stumble, (when cold, acceleration, or when warm) Not all the time, but enough to press the changing the plugs.

The bad news is that the stumble is still there, not maybe as much, but definitely the engine is not as smooth as it should be. My guess as there are no engine check light warnings, is that one or more of the coils are getting weak.

Is this the culprit? Obviously the dealer screams you need BMW coils, are any other after market, Bosch, BavAuto, coils equal? Any general comments on this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F07 535i GT

A cheap(er) way of testing is to buy a single coil and then then test it on each cylinder. If the fault is there you should locate it this way without having to buy a full set. The other option is to take it to someone who can do engine diagnsotics on computer whilst the engine is running. If it is a coil there may be error messages indicating which one it might be. If it isn't a coil then the diagnostic check should help in locaing the problem. Hope this helps. BMW coils come from a number of suppliers. Bosch should be fine.
Appreciate 0