BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #155
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I'm not pulling a wheel to take photos. I'm satisfied that I have controls for SPORT and SPORT+, and I can feel a difference when I use them. That's all I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #156
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theepz View Post
Wait till another 2 weeks i will upload a picture...
Hope this will help clear up the confusion, although some may still say - well in the U.s. it'll be different.
      05-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #157
Cx35i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Here is a photo of a 35i (non-M-Sport) with DDC.
DDC equipped X3's have a cylindrical appendage on each of the front struts which terminates in an electrical cable. Not to be confused with the rectangular attachment which all X3's have which is the TPS pick-up antenna.

In addition, there is a small position sensor attached to the front suspension (not shown) that is also present only on DDC equipped vehicles.

Anyone have a photo of a M-Sport's front strut?
Yea - my M-Sport's suspension doesn't look like this (granted, it's really hard to get a clear view of the rear suspension w/o removing a wheel) and frankly, while I feel the steering tighten up (try the toggle parked, the wheel will actually move), I'm not convinced that my suspension is stiffening.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #158
tetten
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 20i

I just checked the Norwegian brochure and it says that you get the Dynamic Driving Control (Rocker switch??) if you have EDC (223) or VSS (2VL) or 8-speed sport automatic (only on 35i).. I have 2VL in my order for 20D M-sport so I'm just waiting another week or so to confirm :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #159
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetten View Post
I just checked the Norwegian brochure and it says that you get the Dynamic Driving Control (Rocker switch??) if you have EDC (223) or VSS (2VL) or 8-speed sport automatic (only on 35i).. I have 2VL in my order for 20D M-sport so I'm just waiting another week or so to confirm :-)
Just wondering... do you guys get a special option - Norwegian Wood? Isnt' it good!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #160
tetten
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Just wondering... do you guys get a special option - Norwegian Wood? Isnt' it good!
It's part of the deal - the glove compartment is full of it at delivery...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #161
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theepz View Post
Wait till another 2 weeks i will upload a picture...
Where's your picture over 2 weeks?

I read this whole thread & I still have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #162
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

I Will Solve This Debate/confusion

Ok everyone listen.... I'm going to help by finally solving all of this once and for good with an answer from the horse’s mouth...and yes I mean the horse’s mouth..BMW...and not just BMW, but BMW's engineering group...like yes the people who make these vehicles...seriously I can't read another post on DHP.

Since I've gotten on these boards DHP has been the #1 discussed topic that everyone seems to know everything and nothing about. (Including myself to be honest)

Well here it goes...although you need to give me some time on this... I live only a few miles from BMW-NA headquarters in NJ and thus know a bunch of people who work there...and not just work there, but work in "significant" positions. For example...I am friends with the woman who created the M3 ringtone. (Her son goes to school w/my daughter). This woman is also partly responsible for the X3 video project that all of us love so dearly.....she was a key person in this project...she told me about this project even before any spy photos of the X3 were released...yes that long ago. She also knows the name of the few people (there are only like 3 of them) who download and format every one of our videos...she even called of them when I told her a camera was out on my X3...she put me on the phone with him and he apologized and then sent me a video of his work area with him formatting videos so I knew it was really him. No I'm not making any of this up...why am I telling you?

Well... this woman (let's call her Jane) personally knows some of the engineers who invent/test/build the technology we use in our daily lives and debate uselessly here. Sorry for the edge but this can’t be debated any more. So anyway….since my friend knows the people who are responsible for DHP/DDC/EDC (whatever you choose to call it) being in our vehicles, I’m going to use my “lifeline” to get us an official answer. I do not do this often and although “Jane” has no problem doing it for me, I only do it when something like this gets out of control and we as users talk ourselves into answers that are probably incorrect. As you can imagine the engineers are not the easiest group of people to get a hold of, but when you do they are actually very accessible. (I’ve actually met with one once when he was here in the US…he was out riding around with “Jane” when she picked up her son from school) Anyway…since I can do this and b/c this topic needs official answers, I’m going to start the process.
So…here is what we are going to do…I want 5-8 good questions to lob over to the group…this is about the number of questions I normally ask and they never balk. I have a few which I have in my mind, but b/c this is a group function I want the folks here on this thread (since it’s long) to come up with some questions and either a) post them on this thread or b) PM me and I’ll gather them. Once I have about 15-20 good questions I’ll sort through them and send the best ones over to “Jane” who will act as a broker into the engineering group. I thought about re-posting the 20 and having everyone vote but honestly that’s too much work for me unless someone can come up with an easier way for all of us to vote on them….if we can vote I’d rather do that but it can’t be any more work for me…I’m not going to tally votes manually so any ideas will work.
Ok?? And I’m serious about this…no b*llsh*t. It may take a few weeks to get the questions answered but I promise you I’ll get them answered.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #163
tetten
Private
Rep

My 20D M-sport just arrived. It definitely has the rocker switch for normal/sport. I have NOT ordered the EDC and I do not have the sport automatic (only for 35i) BUT I have the Variable sport steering - So in my opinion this is confirmation of my earlier post and that the brochure in Norway is correct...
The brochure/pricelist says the VSS is only for 6-cylinders but somehow I managed to convince my dealer to order it :-)
I had my first test drive on Friday but still have to wait another 6 weeks to get the car (Used as demo car at the dealer.). I already posted pictures in the M-sport thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #164
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Mole, if you can get some real answers that would be awesome!

I'm most interested in the 28i M-Sport. Does this years 28i M-Sport come with the rocker switch if I don't order DHP. Will it (28i M-Sport) be available next model year with the N20 engine and will that come with the rocker switch without ordering DHP? If it does come with the rocker switch without DHP, what functions does it control/modify? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #165
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Is there a difference in throttle response between m-sport and m-sport+

I do not find any.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #166
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Mole - the only question I've had (since wondering if the buttons would be present on my M-Sport at all) is whether they function the same way that the DHP function would, essentially:

- stiffen the suspension
- enhance steering response
- increase throttle response

But, even though I started this thread I am not as rabid about the technical answers as some are, I was initially just trying to figure out if those controls were included in M Sport (which they are, at least for the 35i).

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #167
LFC
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM3W View Post
Mole, if you can get some real answers that would be awesome!

I'm most interested in the 28i M-Sport. Does this years 28i M-Sport come with the rocker switch if I don't order DHP. Will it (28i M-Sport) be available next model year with the N20 engine and will that come with the rocker switch without ordering DHP? If it does come with the rocker switch without DHP, what functions does it control/modify? Thanks.
No rocker switch in the 28i M Sport. Must order the Dynamic Handling package for the rocker switch and electronic dampers.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #168
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
No rocker switch in the 28i M Sport. Must order the Dynamic Handling package for the rocker switch and electronic dampers.
LFC, thanks. Not that I doubt you as I think that the 28i M-Sport doesn't come with the rocker switch, too, but it is my opinion based on my best guess. lol

Did this info come from your engineer friends? Perhaps when you respond you can preface with "this is from the engineers from BMW" so a source can be attributed to the statement versus more of "...everyone seems to know everything and nothing about." Just a suggestion to remove confusion and debate. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #169
LFC
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM3W View Post
LFC, thanks. Not that I doubt you as I think that the 28i M-Sport doesn't come with the rocker switch, too, but it is my opinion based on my best guess. lol

Did this info come from your engineer friends? Perhaps when you respond you can preface with "this is from the engineers from BMW" so a source can be attributed to the statement versus more of "...everyone seems to know everything and nothing about." Just a suggestion to remove confusion and debate. Thanks again.
My dealer (Herb Chambers Boston), placed 2 production orders for me for the X3 28i with the M sport package, all identical options, except one with dynamic handling package and one without ($1300 difference in price). They arrived at the same time, I test drove both, the model without dynamic handling did not have any rocker switches. I confirmed this as well with several other dealers who had the 28i M sport package without dynamic handling and by looking at cars.com and autotrader.com for all X3 28i with M Sport package listed in the US with interior photos. The model with dynamic handling package did have the switch as well as a different steering feel with the variable sport and electronic dampers. For anyone interested the other model is sitting in the showroom as of June 11th. You should be able to purchase for $250 above factory invoice + $299 doc fee, or at least that was my quote for either vehicle.

Full options (for the vehicle without Dynamic Handling package)
Carbon Blk
Blk Leather
Brushed Aluminum
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Tech Package
Heated Front seats and steering
Smartphone integration
BMW apps
Premium hi fi
Xenon
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #170
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep

LFC - nice info.

It's clear to me that folks who want electronic dampers should order the DHP.

I guess no one with M sport X335i (without the DHP option) has bothered to take off a wheel to photograph the suspension component. that'll put this thread to a nice rest (for US or Canada owners). Physical evidence is useful. Quotes from BMWNA have not been helpful.
      06-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #171
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
LFC - nice info.

I guess no one with M sport X335i (without the DHP option) has bothered to take off a wheel to photograph the suspension component. that'll put this thread to a nice rest (for US or Canada owners). Physical evidence is useful. Quotes from BMWNA have not been helpful.

Yep and hence the reason why I plan on using my contact at BMW to go around BMWNA's useless quotes and get hard concrete info from the engineering team who invents this stuff. Physical evidence is great and photos are definitely going to be useful, but they will only be so if we as users will know how to interpret them...which may still be an issue.

My offer is out there to contact the actual BMW engineering team...NOT BMWNA marketing folks who don't know anything...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #172
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Mole 7374

Maybe whilst you're at it you could ask your friends at BMW when the X3M will on sale in USA.

MTIA!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #173
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Maybe whilst you're at it you could ask your friends at BMW when the X3M will on sale in USA.

MTIA!
Guys...please...not sure if you are being sarcastic with me, but if you are doing so I'm going to just drift away and not ask a damn thing. If you guys thing I'm full of sh*t then fine I'll ask for myself and just not share...but if you really care and don't want to be sarcastic please give me some legit things to discuss.

The one thing that is completely off limits is questions about futures..that is 100% off limits with these guys. If you just want to play games then I'd prefer you not reply.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #174
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep

I know what I need to know, but for the benefits of most, please confirm:
- M Sport in the U.S. doesn't have electronic damper
- Sport/+ modes in ZAP packages of X335 does not change suspension settings

what I forgot: is variable sport steering part of M Sport in the U.S.?

Last edited by ManMachine; 06-14-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #175
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
LFC - nice info.

My jack adapter just arrived, so maybe I'll get a chance to do this over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #176
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
My jack adapter just arrived, so maybe I'll get a chance to do this over the weekend.
Thanks, you'll do everyone a favor. Progress is made by doing things.