BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 f25

F25 internet + android

Hallo,
Two days ago i have ordered my X3 with all connectivity options. I was wondering if someone managed to connect an android phone with the internet option of the car, because i have tried with the dealer many times and did not succeed (my phone is a samsung galaxy S).
I have tried to do it by tethering the 3G connection via Bluetooth.
Does anyone know if there is a possibility to tether the 3G via the USB port to the car?
thanks,
theodoros
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoros View Post
Hallo,
Two days ago i have ordered my X3 with all connectivity options. I was wondering if someone managed to connect an android phone with the internet option of the car, because i have tried with the dealer many times and did not succeed (my phone is a samsung galaxy S).
I have tried to do it by tethering the 3G connection via Bluetooth.
Does anyone know if there is a possibility to tether the 3G via the USB port to the car?
thanks,
theodoros
BMW officially doesn't allow to use external Internet to the car but I had read somewhere that there are hacks to do such thing. X3 has a slow built-in Internet connectivity basically for emergencies and unfortunately that's being extended to certain apps like Google search...this connection is like an age old mobile connectivity. BMW charges $199 a year for making use of this slow speed Internet.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,
Thanks for the answer. I am basically intrigued in finding a way to push my e-mails to the car and have them some how read to me (if possible) rather than browsing.
Do you think the internet option is useless then (code number 614)? It's funny also that my dealer did not mention anything about extra charges for using the internet?!!
He told me that the car connects to the internet via bluetooth tethering from the phone and he did not mention anything about a bmw service. What kind of service would i be paying for exactly for ~200$/year??
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for the answer. I am basically intrigued in finding a way to push my e-mails to the car and have them some how read to me (if possible) rather than browsing.
Do you think the internet option is useless then (code number 614)? It's funny also that my dealer did not mention anything about extra charges for using the internet?!!
He told me that the car connects to the internet via bluetooth tethering from the phone and he did not mention anything about a bmw service. What kind of service would i be paying for exactly for ~200$/year??
There probably are no extra charges. Internet works differently in different markets. Some markets do use tethering but the UK and the US use an in-built SIM card in the car which requires an active BMW Assist subscription (hence the charge mentioned above). In the UK you get 3 years included as part of the professional multimedia package. The in-built SIM doesn't support 3G which is why it is slow. Tethering is preferable provided you won't get charged extra by your mobile phone operator

You don't need the internet option to make use of reading and displaying emails on iDrive with BMW Office, just a compatible phone like a Blackberry

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

Has anyone managed to get the e-mails in the office suit of BMW with an android? And if yes how??
The site is not very clear on the compatibilities, at least for me.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Has anyone managed to get the e-mails in the office suit of BMW with an android? And if yes how??
The site is not very clear on the compatibilities, at least for me.
thanks
Native Android does not support the Bluetooth Message Access profile (MAP). There are a few Android based phones that do have MAP, because the manufacturer added it to their build. Both of these phones list support for MAP. Droid Bionic and Droid X. But have not personally verified they work with BMW Office.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Only certain BB handsets work with iDrive Office, this may increase in future. I have this feature working but IMO the value is limited.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #8
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

i have a samsung galaxy S and the X3 with nav pro, office, BT aso... it does not work. My dealer told me that the galaxy S was not supported but the galaxy S2 was supported! So you may change your mobile for the new S2, or wait some monthes until Samsung release the galaxy s3.

with the Samsung Galaxy S, I can:
- read my mp3 files
- read my address book and use it to phone someone or use it as destination for the navigation system

that's all.
I can't:
read sms or send sms
read email or send email
use internet services
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #9
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

For forwarding e-mails to the phone:
I did some research on this. pault is right. This post is informative:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1384975
(if it is not allowed to post links i am sorry in advance)

for internet:
there are two android apps that enable bluetooth tethering. The one is called PDA Net (free) and it does not require rooting and the other is called Wireless Tether and it does require rooting. I have tested the first on the dealer's car but without success. I cannot say 100% that it doesn't work cause i didn't spend much time trying. At least it doesn't work right away. The other one i will try when i get my car which will be in ~6 months and most probably I will have bought a new phone by then..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Native Android does not support the Bluetooth Message Access profile (MAP). There are a few Android based phones that do have MAP, because the manufacturer added it to their build. Both of these phones list support for MAP. Droid Bionic and Droid X. But have not personally verified they work with BMW Office.
I recently switched from a Blackberry Torch to a Droid Bionic. Messaging worked with the Torch, not so with the Bionic thus far. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Have a droid 3. Have bmw apps and assist. according to the www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth my phone should be able to get sms.

It doesn't, and I can't figure this out.

Would it work if it was plugged into the usb rather than just bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #12
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Quote:

for internet:
there are two android apps that enable bluetooth tethering. The one is called PDA Net (free) and it does not require rooting and the other is called Wireless Tether and it does require rooting. I have tested the first on the dealer's car but without success. I cannot say 100% that it doesn't work cause i didn't spend much time trying.
I installed PDANet yesterday on my Galaxy S, but it doesn't work. The app work as a client, and ask you to install the server version on the Computer. And of course it's not possible to install ther server app in the X3...

So let's make a commun mail to Samsung or Google and ask them to add the correct technologies in their devices.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

PDA net worked without any trouble in my pc and i did not have to install anything. But for the X3 yes it is a different story. If there is someone in the forum that has a rooted sgs or android phone and could test the "wireless tether" as well it would me great!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

I tested MyWi for iphone, it didnt work.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
obtix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

I guess I'm confused here. It would be awesome if I am wrong but the X3 can't connect to an available wifi network so all the tethering programs are a waste of time.

FYI, still waiting on my X3. I run an Atrix with a custom ROM and rooted of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

we are always talking about tethering via bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtix View Post
I guess I'm confused here. It would be awesome if I am wrong but the X3 can't connect to an available wifi network so all the tethering programs are a waste of time.
Its claimed that X3 in some countries can connect to external network, we were wondering if we in US can do the same. I tried to tether through blue tooth and did Google Search on NAV and got an Error. But when I tried Google Search without tethering, I got a message to contact BMW for enabling Assist program.

This concludes that Google Search is routed thru BMW in X3 s of US and thus external internet tethering will not help.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
obtix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Its claimed that X3 in some countries can connect to external network, we were wondering if we in US can do the same. I tried to tether through blue tooth and did Google Search on NAV and got an Error. But when I tried Google Search without tethering, I got a message to contact BMW for enabling Assist program.

This concludes that Google Search is routed thru BMW in X3 s of US and thus external internet tethering will not help.

Actually if you got an error when tethered in any fashon that means it is overriding the "contact bmw" and that's a good thing generally. I am assuming that the iDrive is looking for a specific setting/connection/port and just a specific APN setting. When I get my car I'll play with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtix View Post
Actually if you got an error when tethered in any fashon that means it is overriding the "contact bmw" and that's a good thing generally. I am assuming that the iDrive is looking for a specific setting/connection/port and just a specific APN setting. When I get my car I'll play with it.
Wish you get your X3 soon.

I know if we can some how get into the settings of iDrive, we can use external internet but I have no idea/ means to get into iDrive SW.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #20
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Wish you get your X3 soon.

I know if we can some how get into the settings of iDrive, we can use external internet but I have no idea/ means to get into iDrive SW.
In Europe we have an option called Internet for the price of US$180

No. 614 + 615 - Internet.

The description is as follows:
Internet-browser in the control display via compatible mobiletelephone in the adapter or via USB cable. Data transfer costs is not included

As far as I can tell, this makes you telephone as the carrier for internet data transfers to the cars display.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Yep... I ordered the Internet option. Think it was £100. When clicked it connects to My 3G iphone 4 and any data is charged through that. Luckily I have an all you can eat data plan!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
Yep... I ordered the Internet option. Think it was £100. When clicked it connects to My 3G iphone 4 and any data is charged through that. Luckily I have an all you can eat data plan!
I'm surprised this works on an iPhone. Don't you normally have to pay extra to tether your iPhone's internet connection? You used to get charged extra regardless of whether you have an unlimited data contract unless you jailbroke your iPhone

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0