BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

CD vibration

I put a CD in last nite and ripped it to the HD. AS soon as the CD started playing the mechanism was vibrating the whole dash around the CD. I stopped storing the CD to the drive and it still vibrated. the CD played ok though. This morning i put in another CD and it was fine. Anyone else experience this sort of action?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
You might want to bring that to the dealer. Also you must back up ur stuffs from the car's HD.

I don't know why BMW still uses a big old hard drive which takes time to warm up and load everything.
They should have use a flash drive or card instead. It's faster, smaller, lighter, quitier, cheaper and energy efficient. Like the new MacBooks
      03-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was wondering if the cold weather had anything to do with it. it didn't vibrate coming out of the garage in the morning. I'll check it out. Good idea to back it up though. I also noticed it took longer to rip than it usually does. It seems like it takes about 10 minutes per CD but when it was vibrating it was more like 15-17 minutes. and it seemed to get stuck around 87% for a while. the HD is 90% free disk space so that shouldn't be slowing it down.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

You may also want to try a few other CDs when you get the vibration. If the system spins CDs faster for the purposes of storing the music in the hard drive (all CDROM drives spin discs at more than 20x the speed of traditional music CD players), then the disc's balance will be critical to vibration. Just like an improperly balanced wheel will produce vibration at certain speeds, and improperly balanced disc will cause the drive mechanism to vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
You may also want to try a few other CDs when you get the vibration. If the system spins CDs faster for the purposes of storing the music in the hard drive (all CDROM drives spin discs at more than 20x the speed of traditional music CD players), then the disc's balance will be critical to vibration. Just like an improperly balanced wheel will produce vibration at certain speeds, and improperly balanced disc will cause the drive mechanism to vibrate.
Absolutely right! i was talking to someone about this and he mentioned the same thing. None of my other discs so far have done this. I'm going to test the problem disc when i get some time.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
You might want to bring that to the dealer. Also you must back up ur stuffs from the car's HD.

I don't know why BMW still uses a big old hard drive which takes time to warm up and load everything.
They should have use a flash drive or card instead. It's faster, smaller, lighter, quitier, cheaper and energy efficient. Like the new MacBooks
you forgot much more expensive which is why they don't give you one

But +1 for using flash drives as standard in the future. I have one in my current VAIO and won't go back to HDD now

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0