BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Another SAP vs. DHP vs. M-Sport question

I have read several threads on this subject, but they have served to make me more confused. The questions below pertain to the 28i.
  1. From a handling and ride comfort standpoint, why is the Sports Activity Package even discussed? The features you get with SAP seemed to be all cosmetic in nature.
  2. The only feature that is in the list for M-Sport package that is not cosmetic seems to be Performance Control. I have read where some M-Sport owners have switched to Sport mode. Does the M-Sport package also have a feature that allows you to adjust the suspension or are they talking about something else?
  3. The DHP seems to have everything that you'd want if you wanted all of the handling options (Variable steering, Performance Control, Dynamic Damper Control). Is this correct or is there also something missing in this package?
  4. Can you just order the Sport suspension option? I've seen some posts where it seems like you can.
Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Robocheme; 11-02-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
I have read several threads on this subject, but they have served to make me more confused. The questions below pertain to the 28i.
[LIST=1][*]From a handling and ride comfort standpoint, why is the Sports Activity Package even discussed? The features you get with SAP seemed to be all cosmetic in nature.
Not so at all. The seats are very much not cosmetic, much better fit with side bolsters and leg support. Try taking some quick turns without sport seats. I'm not sure but I would guess the 18" wheels have lower profile tires than the standard 17". But you may or may not notice a different there depending on brands and/or psi.
      11-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

The SAP and Msport give you Dynamic Drive Control with the switches. These let you alter the chassis and Drivetrain settings. However, getting the DHP gives you a feature that automatically reads the road as the front wheels hit bumps and alters the rear suspension. This is called Dynamic Damper Control.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

How do you know if you ordered DHP and SAP that you actually are getting DHP installed? I read somewhere here that it isn't listed on the sticker. Is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
The SAP and Msport give you Dynamic Drive Control with the switches. These let you alter the chassis and Drivetrain settings. However, getting the DHP gives you a feature that automatically reads the road as the front wheels hit bumps and alters the rear suspension. This is called Dynamic Damper Control.
Thanks, it's surprising that they don't list that for SAP and M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
How do you know if you ordered DHP and SAP that you actually are getting DHP installed? I read somewhere here that it isn't listed on the sticker. Is it?
It's very convoluted, but there's no REAL way to know unless you have an acute sense of road imperfections or drive one with and one without back-to-back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
Thanks, it's surprising that they don't list that for SAP and M-Sport.
You don't say!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

for 2011 BMW had it listed for a while on the build site saying that Damper control was part of the DHP, but then it dissapeared after a while, making it look like only the active steering and performance control were in that package. Add the M Sport and it looks like $1100 buys you active steering!

I just received my X3 35i M Sport and it does have Normal, Sport, and Sport + settings and it gives me the option to have the Sport setting only adjust the throttle, only the chassis, or both (kind of cool). So people that say you need the DHP package to adjust the chassis, this is not true, the M Sport (and probably the SAP package) have this ability. If there is really damper control or not with the DHP, only BMW knows for sure, my dealer said it was part of it (without me asking).
Appreciate 0