BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

So my 2012 X3 35i was in for service today. I had the passenger occupancy mat replaced, as well as a thermostat and coolant pump. When I picked it up, all of the coding I had done last year was gone. that includes the digital speedo, seat belt warning delete, DRL on/off option, tail gate open / close with remote and a few other things. is this normal? should I mention it to them?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

That has happened to me before as well.

Not sure that the Stealerships will do anything about it since they are simply updating or resetting the software at factory setting...and for example, would not want to be held responsible for unselecting the seat belt chime.

I took mine back and had the items recoded (which is a fairly common occurrence) but was charged only a minimum fee.

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

You didn't know custom coding is wiped out by dealers when they update software?

Pretty standard stuff unfortunately and a risk you take if you pay to have coding done and go in for service...

From bim coding dot com

Will I ever lose the coding?

There are a few different scenarios that could cause you to lose your coding. If your dealer does a software update on the car you will likely lose all the custom coding. Software updates are rare and are not part of regular service. Dealers generally do not update software unless the car has a problem that can't be fixed otherwise. BMW sometimes releases mandatory software updates, when something needs to be updated on all cars (similar to a recall) but again, this is not common. Finally, if you have the dealership retrofit an option, such as an alarm, that did not come with the car from the factory, then they may need to code your car and this too can wipe out your custom coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Thanks for the info folks. I'll know better for next time
Appreciate 0