BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Maintenance

Is there a list showing the official x3 maintenance schedule and what is done during those maintenance's?

I found information posted by a supposed BMW mechanic who says all maintenance intervals were doubled after BMW started offering free maintenance. Certain fluid changes that used to be recommended every 30,000 miles became lifetime including lifetime fuel filter rather than the previously recommended 30,000 miles so he recommends changing things like spark plugs/fuel filter/brake fluid, etc more often than the new interval if you plan on keeping the car.

I was thinking of doing my own oil change at 1,200 miles for the initial brake-in.. not sure when the first official maintenance is scheduled for.

Any recommendations for an online wholesale parts store you've had good experiences with?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I've had excellent service from ECS Tuning. Their prices are fair and they are reliable.
http://www.ecstuning.com/

For standard maintenance parts like oil filters you will want to stick with the BMW OEM parts. That means a Mann filter kit which includes the (2) required "O" rings that are changed at every oil change.
You can buy them over the counter at any BMW dealer for about $11 or from on-line suppliers for as low as $7 plus shipping (the lowest prices I've seen are from Amazon.com.)

To change the oil. it's also a good idea to get an Assenmacher V 410 Oil Filter wrench (about $15). Some people use strap wrenches or stamped metal wrenches, but if you want to minimize the chances of damaging the filter cover, the Assenmacher is the best choice.

BMW spec oil is available over the counter at your local dealer, or via several BMW dealerships that have Internet outlets usually at a 20% discount. German Castrol synthetic is also approved by BMW, but it usually costs as much as the BMW spec oil. If you do a internet search using the BMW part number: (BMW part number 07 51 0 017 866). It's available for around $7 or $8/qt.

BMW now specifies that the transmission, transfer case and F/R differentials are "lubricated for life". However, that statement depends on your definition of "life". A number of owners of older X5s and a few X3s have reported transfer case failures due to lubrication problems in their transfer cases at around 80,000 miles. I'd certainly want to change those fluids at 50K or so.

The problem with trying to change those fluids is that the X3, like many new vehicles, has neither drain plugs or filler ports on many of the driveline components. What used to be a simple job requiring only hand tools, now takes special, factory pumping equipment, and can't be done by home mechanics or most independent shops. If you want that kind of maintenance done you're obligated to go to a BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
BMW now specifies that the transmission, transfer case and F/R differentials are "lubricated for life". However, that statement depends on your definition of "life". A number of owners of older X5s and a few X3s have reported transfer case failures due to lubrication problems in their transfer cases at around 80,000 miles. I'd certainly want to change those fluids at 50K or so.

The problem with trying to change those fluids is that the X3, like many new vehicles, has neither drain plugs or filler ports on many of the driveline components. What used to be a simple job requiring only hand tools, now takes special, factory pumping equipment, and can't be done by home mechanics or most independent shops. If you want that kind of maintenance done you're obligated to go to a BMW dealership.
Is there a time limit aside from the mileage? My driving characteristic is mostly around town with frequent stop and go traffic over short distances. 50k miles would possibly mean "for life" to me (my previous car is an '01 Mercedes with approx 38,000 miles to the odo). I don't want to take any chances though and I plan to keep this car longer than 5 yrs (that is if i'm not tempted to something else )
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice Lotus.

I usually keep my cars around 100,000 miles, which is typically 5 years. Up until now I've owned Japanese cars (Nissan/Acura/Lexus) and I've never needed to change transfer case fluids. Sold the Acura at 135,000 miles with no issues.

Good (but disappointing) to know I need have all these fluids changed at 50,000 miles now. I plan to keep this car at least 100,000 miles so I do want to avoid any issues.

Anyone know how accessible the fuel filter is? It was a 2 minute job on my Sentra but impossible in my other cars as they moved it into the gas tank.

If I upgraded to the 6 year, 100,000 mile coverage, would service such as new spark plugs, brake fluid, drive line fluids, etc be part of the scheduled service or are those extra charges?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

I had a Cpo 2003 330i competition package (sadly now gone) that I paid to extend maintenance on and I thought it was worth it and plan on extending maintenance on my 2012 x3 when it arrives as I plan to keep mine to 100k/4years the way I drive.

Anyway, when my 330 approached 95k my service advisor told me to come in at 98/99k miles and they changed the plug before maintenance out. Of course during that visit they told me my control arm bushings were shot and would cost 2k to replace so I used that money and traded it in for the Mazda with warranty (regrets, yes).

Anyway, if you have a good service rep u like they seem to be able to hook u up with certain things- I find they stop short of sexual pleasures to get those "5's"
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Thanks for the advice Lotus.

I usually keep my cars around 100,000 miles, which is typically 5 years. Up until now I've owned Japanese cars (Nissan/Acura/Lexus) and I've never needed to change transfer case fluids. Sold the Acura at 135,000 miles with no issues.

Good (but disappointing) to know I need have all these fluids changed at 50,000 miles now. I plan to keep this car at least 100,000 miles so I do want to avoid any issues.

Anyone know how accessible the fuel filter is? It was a 2 minute job on my Sentra but impossible in my other cars as they moved it into the gas tank.

If I upgraded to the 6 year, 100,000 mile coverage, would service such as new spark plugs, brake fluid, drive line fluids, etc be part of the scheduled service or are those extra charges?
I'm sure there are plenty of X5's with well more than 100K on them with the original transfer case and transmission fluid (probably most of them). Cars are driven differently and complex mechanical assemblies are put together with different assembly tolerances. However, there have been enough BMW out of warrantee transfer case failures that a class action suit has been discussed.

Apparently, there is premature chain wear that seems to be related to lube failure. Every vehicle is different, and it's possible that BMW has learned from the rash of transfer case failures and improved parts or changed to a different lubricant. Unfortunately, once the worn chain begins to slip, changing the TC fluid will do no good at all.

Just try a Google search for; "BMW Transfer case failures"

Regarding Japanese cars; Honda originally recommended a long (I believe 60K mile) interval for changing the transmission fluid in the CVT Honda FIT. After having a ton of failures and a recall they now are recommending changing it much sooner (I believe every year regardless of mileage). Manufactures want their vehicles to appear to require minimum maintenance, at least during the warrantee period. Lubricants are better, but operating conditions are tougher. Thinner lubricants are used to reduce viscosity drag (lowers mileage) and engines and driveline assemblies are operated at higher loads and much higher temperatures than only a few years ago. But, fluid change intervals are often doubled or rated "for the life of the vehicle"

Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Once I get my car I'll be sure to leave clear notes reminding me to get all those "lifetime" fluids changed at 50,000 miles.

Lotus, would this be the correct oil filter for the 35i? It says N54 engine, while other sites say N55. (For the 2011 X3 35i)

Air filter

What do you think of this oil filter wrench? It's the only one ECS carries. If it works well enough I'd rather place my entire other from them and not pay shipping costs to 2 companies.

Is there a listing of OEM part #'s for our cars? I didn't see it in the PDF manual.

Thanks

Last edited by Dukat; 09-10-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Yep, once I get my car I'll be sure to leave clear notes for myself reminding me to get all those "lifetime" fluids changed at 50,000 miles.

Lotus, would this be the correct oil filter for the 35i? It says N54 engine, while other sites say N55.

Is there a listing of OEM part #'s for our cars? I didn't see it in the PDF manual.

Thanks
That is the correct filter for any X3(F25) 28i or 35i. It's called the "N54" filter, but fits the 28i, N52 (N52B30A), and the 35i N55 (N55B30A) as well as the older N54 engines.

The Mann-Hummel part number is: HU816X
and the BMW Part number is: 114 275 663 27

The Mann-Hummel air filter for the 35i is: C28125.

I don't have the 28i air filter number handy, but it is a completely different design.

I wouldn't go near that 3-arm wrench. It might work but the Assenmacher V 410 is really the only one I'd want to use. There are stamped steel "socket style" wrenches that will also work, but those can slip if the filter cap has been tightened too much. The Assenmacher V 410 is made of very good quality die cast alloy and fits perfectly. If you damage one filter cap, it will cost significantly more than the cost of a proper wrench to replace it.

I haven't seen a comprehensive parts number listing for the F25 cars, but the RealOEM catalog http://www.realoem.com/bmw/has many parts listed and between it, third party suppliers like ECS Tuning, and manufacturers like Mann-Hummel, one can usually find the correct part numbers. Of course, as a last resort you can always call your local BMW parts department.

At RealOEM you will also find parts assembly drawings, which can be helpful when a "unusual" part may not have an obvious name.

Here's the drawing for the 35i Oil Filter Housing:
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 09-10-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info Lotus. Placing my order now!
If only I had my car now!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

Amazon.com has the Assenmacher V410 and Sears has the Schwabe tool which is well made as well
Appreciate 0