BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Pyrrhe
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 X28i

X3 package with "X" mark on headrests?

Okay, so kind of a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere . . . .

I am looking at 2017 X3s and have seen pics of a whole bunch, driven a couple, but there's one that has an "X" on the headrests (xdrive 28i).

I've been able to find a few images online, but can't figure out if it is a trim-level thing or package or what. They certainly can't be the standard or I wouldn't have seen them on only 1 out of over 20 cars!

Not sure it matters, but it is bugging me that I can't find a quick answer and the dealer didn't know either (not a BMW dealer).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
never seen it before...might be custom
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
Pyrrhe
Rep

Interesting - no one seems to know. It looks like it is just the headrest that's different.

Here's an image - not the car I am looking at, but the headrest is the same. And I've seen them in different colors.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Hn5Sjc8hWcBQ6zQ56
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

I'd guess that it's part of the xLine package which your image indicates that car has.

-Bruce
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Pyrrhe
Rep

That's what I thought too, but I can't find anything in the X Line package that mentions that. Also, I *think* I have seen others that say they have that package that don't have those headrests, but listings on used cars aren't always great.

I do think that's the best explanation though. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Pyrrhe
Rep

Okay, so after looking a bit more, the car I am going to test drive has the exterior features of the X Line package although the listing doesn't include it.

There are some interior features to the X Line, although I have yet to find a mention of that marking on the headrest, but I think this is the answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
Bowtiefanatc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Never heard of the "X Line", but I can vouch that my 2017 M Sport doesn't have those on the headrests. Neither does my wife's 2016
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Those seats are special to xline. There are the regular seats, xline seats, and sport seats.
For 2013 model, xline was a part of of the sport activity package (ZAP). However, I don't think it had those special xline seats because it came with sport seats. The xline seats have the "X" on the head rest and the stitch running down the middle on the upper of the seat back.
For the 2014 model, the ZAP was deleted and the (3XL) X-Line exterior trim package became and option which is where I THINK the xline seats came into existence.
After that, the xline was introduced as a package (ZXD) that just included the exterior trim, interior trim, and the style 608 wheels.
So I think the x-line seats were only available for the 2014 model year as an option.

In reference to the link you posted, it'd be hard to believe the previous owner changed the seats out (on a leased car).
I couldn't find enough information on those seats either, but I did see some X3's with these in them back when I was shopping for one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Headrests with an "X" embroidered on them does not show up in realoem.com for any year I can see for the F25.

My guess is this was a custom job done by the dealer for a showroom and/or auto show display model along with vinyl graphics on the outside to promote the X-line that was later removed by the dealer or previous owner. I recall seeing some X1's with vinyl "X" graphics when they were launched in the US but then never saw any on the road with the big X on the side.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #10
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The plot thickens...I did a quick search on autotrader looking in Alabama to find the vehicle Pyrrhe is talking about and I found 2 X3's with the "x" headrests, front and back:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
and
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Doing a Google search for "bmw x3 xline seats headrest" I was able to find many images of headrests with the X but just for model year 2015 to 2017.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Pyrrhe
Rep

Hahahaha. I love that you sleuthed it!

But it is neither of those cars. It is this one: https://www.carmax.com/car/18629613

That said, I just found this one in GA . . . .

https://www.driveadream.com/details-...3g0d91559.html

I'm thinking the 2016 is better than the 2017 (lower mileage, fancier packages), but I'd have to drive 8 hours roundtrip to get it. Not necessarily a deal-breaker.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i had 2016 X4 with msport package and mocha interior that had X on headrest.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #14
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrhe View Post

But it is neither of those cars. It is this one: https://www.carmax.com/car/18629613

I'm thinking the 2016 is better than the 2017 (lower mileage, fancier packages), but I'd have to drive 8 hours roundtrip to get it. Not necessarily a deal-breaker.
I suppose this has nothing to do with the headrests or anything, and obviously my opinion may differ from yours and everyone else's, but the one regret I had with my 2016 X3 was the same halogen headlights that both of these have. If it were me, And I had to do it all over again, I'd probably cut half the packages mine has out just to get an X3 with the halo /angel headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #15
Pyrrhe
Rep

Quote:

Scrap the 2016. It's a manufacturer buyback . . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:

Last year, I looked at a private party sale for a low mileage loaded 2011 X3 with sport package. The original owner described it as meticulously maintained. When I looked at it, I found a neglected vehicle. There were 3 different major oil leaks, door dings, scratches, stained scratched leather, dog hair everywhere, curb rashed wheels, dented roof, etc... The owner showed me all the receipts since new and there was a $20k body shop repair from a rear end collision when new that they confessed to after I called them out on it.

A month later, the same vehicle was at a local carmax with a clean Autocheck report and a description coming off as it was a cream puff. I will never purchase a vehicle from carmax after knowing what kind of POS they'll take in and make appear presentable. Not saying they don't have good vehicles, but this was not one of them
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
e46Laguna
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 X3 35i Msport

I have it on my X3. Not sure what package it is because I pretty much have them all.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #18
Pyrrhe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Last year, I looked at a private party sale for a low mileage loaded 2011 X3 with sport package. The original owner described it as meticulously maintained. When I looked at it, I found a neglected vehicle. There were 3 different major oil leaks, door dings, scratches, stained scratched leather, dog hair everywhere, curb rashed wheels, dented roof, etc... The owner showed me all the receipts since new and there was a $20k body shop repair from a rear end collision when new that they confessed to after I called them out on it.

A month later, the same vehicle was at a local carmax with a clean Autocheck report and a description coming off as it was a cream puff. I will never purchase a vehicle from carmax after knowing what kind of POS they'll take in and make appear presentable. Not saying they don't have good vehicles, but this was not one of them
Wow! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #19
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

My '15 F25 had the X on the headrests
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #20
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Pyrrhe:
If this is your first time buying a used BMW, be a smart shopper whatever car you get serious about pay a independent shop/mechanic to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection - that is $150 or so of very well spent money when it comes to used Bimmer buying. It's fine to look at CARFAX, etc. and prior service/maint. records, but nothing beats a trained mechanic for the real scoop on a car's condition.

Regards the F25 X3's: read a bit of history about the 4 cylinder (N20, 28i) motors and some issues that have cropped up over the past few years with cratered timing chain guides, oil pump chains, etc. There is currently an open class action lawsuit in process on this; additionally, BMW upped the warranty on these motors to 7 yr / 70K miles after they redesigned these components, sometime in early production model year 2015. Personally, I think the 3.5 liter inline 6 is a more solid motor; you can't hardly beat a BMW inline 6 engine, they're close to bullet-proof.

Lastly, speaking of seats - drive cars with regular and sport seats. The regular seats IMO are so-so; the sport seats are a lot more supportive and comfortable in about every respect; tho they do lack lumbar support - at least my 2012 model year w/sport seats has no lumbar.

Be a smart shopper - read these forums for info about the plusses/minuses of the F25, and what suits your needs; I own one, solid cars but every brand/model has its weak spots....that's what you want to avoid owning , a car with known significant weakness.

Good Luck/Bill
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #21
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Be mindful of the dealership as well, be it Carmax, an actual dealership, if so which one, and so on. There are online ratings to look at.

MichiganMike here reminded me of that when I got my car, it steered me towards buying locally from a highly rated dealer I'd also had good experiences with, vs. driving to another city to another dealer with terrible ratings just so I could save a few $'s. That other dealer might have actually been fine to buy from, but I'm still glad I didn't take the gamble.

Last edited by tracer bullet; 01-22-2020 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      01-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
Pyrrhe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Pyrrhe:
If this is your first time buying a used BMW, be a smart shopper whatever car you get serious about pay a independent shop/mechanic to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection - that is $150 or so of very well spent money when it comes to used Bimmer buying. It's fine to look at CARFAX, etc. and prior service/maint. records, but nothing beats a trained mechanic for the real scoop on a car's condition.

Regards the F25 X3's: read a bit of history about the 4 cylinder (N20, 28i) motors and some issues that have cropped up over the past few years with cratered timing chain guides, oil pump chains, etc. There is currently an open class action lawsuit in process on this; additionally, BMW upped the warranty on these motors to 7 yr / 70K miles after they redesigned these components, sometime in early production model year 2015. Personally, I think the 3.5 liter inline 6 is a more solid motor; you can't hardly beat a BMW inline 6 engine, they're close to bullet-proof.

Lastly, speaking of seats - drive cars with regular and sport seats. The regular seats IMO are so-so; the sport seats are a lot more supportive and comfortable in about every respect; tho they do lack lumbar support - at least my 2012 model year w/sport seats has no lumbar.

Be a smart shopper - read these forums for info about the plusses/minuses of the F25, and what suits your needs; I own one, solid cars but every brand/model has its weak spots....that's what you want to avoid owning , a car with known significant weakness.

Good Luck/Bill
Thank you! This is really helpful. So if I understand you, you're saying the 35i is the better engine (which makes sense) and originally, I was looking at only the 35i, but as much as I like the idea of the extra power, I don't really *need* it. (To which my German friend says, "Need? No. Want? Yes.")

But, if what you're saying is that the engine in the 35i is a beast and won't have the issues that the 4 cylinders have, then maybe I need to go back to my original plan.

Thoughts on a 28i diesel? I'd love to own another diesel (I'm originally from the UK where it is quite normal).

I've definitely been reading all around in the forum, but now I am questioning all of my life choices!

It's slim pickings for used X3s where I live. We don't even have a BMW dealer - closest is 90 miles.

Anyway, thanks for the great advice!
Appreciate 0