BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
angnron
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 M35i

Sudder on xdrive35i

As title says. CPO 17 36000 miles. Heavy acceleration causes slight shudder in gears 1-3. Normal? It's a very mild shudder. Just got the car and didn't notice on test drive as it was a wintry mix that day. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
angnron
United_States
Rep

SHUDDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by angnron View Post
As title says. CPO 17 36000 miles. Heavy acceleration causes slight shudder in gears 1-3. Normal? It's a very mild shudder. Just got the car and didn't notice on test drive as it was a wintry mix that day. Thank you
Meant SHUDDER in the title-sorry
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Could be the transfer case.
      01-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
NOT normal. Take it back to your dealer and have them ride in it with you as you reproduce the shudder.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
angnron
United_States
Rep

For now I'll continue to drive it as the service techs believe it's the transmission relearning my driving style BUT I doubt it. I'll take it in on my day off. Truthfully the sound and feel it makes is the buffeting you get when you have one window open in the back but not that severe! Very strange!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For now I'll continue to drive it as the service techs believe it's the transmission relearning my driving style BUT I doubt it. I'll take it in on my day off. Truthfully the sound and feel it makes is the buffeting you get when you have one window open in the back but not that severe! Very strange!
I don't buy what the tech's said, bunch of baloney. I've had BMW's for many years, many models and what you are experiencing is not normal and not a tranny learning your driving style. Make them fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

First thing I would do is change your transfer case oil. Old oil gives these very symptoms. I just did mine as it started to shudder and now all is well again.
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
angnron
United_States
Rep

Correct. My 335i NEVER did this although it was the N54 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My X3 would exhibit a minimal shutter just as I was coming to a stop at a stop sign or light...probably when I was under 5mph. It would also give a similar shutter/vibration when I was in a parking lot and the steering wheel was fully clock or counter clockwise at around 5-10mph.

The BMW dealer replaced the transfer case and the shuttering went away. .. .. but it came back about a month later. This happened at around 38-40K miles. I took it back and this time they changed the transfer case oil (like rcsup1 said) and the problem disappeared and is still gone at 80K miles.

So, its NOT normal, go get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Mine does this under hard load in 1-3. Pretty much goes away by the time 4th comes. It is the output shaft on the transfer case that is causing mine. Have to replace the output shaft itself and bearings.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #11
angnron
United_States
Rep

They determined it's the muffler and valves causing the reverberations. They tested an x4 with msport and said it does the same thing. Can't believe BMW would create a muffler that causes pulsing but whatever! It's in the BMW system notes now AND I got the pano roof bulletin taken care of
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They determined it's the muffler and valves causing the reverberations. They tested an x4 with msport and said it does the same thing. Can't believe BMW would create a muffler that causes pulsing but whatever! It's in the BMW system notes now AND I got the pano roof bulletin taken care of
Huh??? How did they come to that conclusion?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #13
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Quote:
That makes no sense.
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #14
angnron
United_States
Rep

So shudder isn't the correct word. It's more like a pulsing as if you open one of your rear windows while driving. So they said it's the muffler causing the pulsing and an x4 just like mine did the same thing! I should record it sometime! Anyways with the roads covered in snow up here it's hard to stomp on the gas so I'll do a recording when the roads are better.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So shudder isn't the correct word. It's more like a pulsing as if you open one of your rear windows while driving. So they said it's the muffler causing the pulsing and an x4 just like mine did the same thing! I should record it sometime! Anyways with the roads covered in snow up here it's hard to stomp on the gas so I'll do a recording when the roads are better.
First they said its the transmission relearning your driving style, now its the muffler. Same dealer I assume? Is there another dealer you can take it to?

You said you can hear it and in one of your posts you said the word "feel" so that means you can feel it too. Can you further describe what it feels like and where you feel it? Steering wheel only, bottom of seat only, center console only, etc? I'm just having a hard time with the results from that dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
angnron
United_States
Rep

Here is diagnosis:
37119 normal operation observed with road conditions in mind (SNOW COVERED), I did my best I could within legal limits to duplicate the concern observed by guest with foreman in car. Felt shudder or vibration from vehicle predominantly at top of 1st gear and rev range. connected battery charger and ran vehicle test. No faults. Ran active test for exhaust flap and flap did not bind or rattle. Lifted vehicle and inspected exhaust and found it secure and tight. Test drove x4 with M performance package and observed similar behavior. Vehicle is performing as intended.

The pulsing can be more heard than felt, however can be felt in your seat and my keys for work rattle more than usual at the top of 1st gear and into 2nd. No pulsing after that. I've had many performance cars with performance exhausts and never felt this from ANY of them. At least it's documented with 2 more years warranty. Thank you all I appreciate the feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is diagnosis:
37119 normal operation observed with road conditions in mind (SNOW COVERED), I did my best I could within legal limits to duplicate the concern observed by guest with foreman in car. Felt shudder or vibration from vehicle predominantly at top of 1st gear and rev range. connected battery charger and ran vehicle test. No faults. Ran active test for exhaust flap and flap did not bind or rattle. Lifted vehicle and inspected exhaust and found it secure and tight. Test drove x4 with M performance package and observed similar behavior. Vehicle is performing as intended.

The pulsing can be more heard than felt, however can be felt in your seat and my keys for work rattle more than usual at the top of 1st gear and into 2nd. No pulsing after that. I've had many performance cars with performance exhausts and never felt this from ANY of them. At least it's documented with 2 more years warranty. Thank you all I appreciate the feedback
Do you have or maybe a friend has, an OBD2 coding tool? You can try to code the exhaust flap to stay in the open and then closed mode while you drive to see if that makes a diff. Faults need a sensor in order to throw a code and from your description, I don't think this is the kind of issue where you would see a code, so no surprise you didn't.

If you start your car, leave it in park and push the throttle to the same RPM as you notice the issue as when driving it, can you get it to repeat?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #18
angnron
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Do you have or maybe a friend has, an OBD2 coding tool? You can try to code the exhaust flap to stay in the open and then closed mode while you drive to see if that makes a diff. Faults need a sensor in order to throw a code and from your description, I don't think this is the kind of issue where you would see a code, so no surprise you didn't.

If you start your car, leave it in park and push the throttle to the same RPM as you notice the issue as when driving it, can you get it to repeat?
I have not so I will try this. Thank you
Appreciate 0