BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
Mikeragu
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

2013 X3 28i Maintenance

Ok sorry guys this may have been asked before....

I'm new to the F25 game I had an 07 E90 before this so major upgrade. I bought the car with 77k on it from a BMW dealer (certified pre owned) I now have the "maintenance required" message popping up cuz of the 81k mark. Can someone tell me or point me to a list what needs to be done for all these. The car runs great. The thermostat was replaced already and that's about it. No issues. Thanks. Once again sorry if this is a double post.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Have you checked in iDrive?

Vehicle Info
> Vehicle status
> the car icon which is Service required
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeragu View Post

I'm new to the F25 game I had an 07 E90 before this so major upgrade. I bought the car with 77k on it from a BMW dealer (certified pre owned) I now have the "maintenance required" message popping up cuz of the 81k mark. Can someone tell me or point me to a list what needs to be done for all these. The car runs great. The thermostat was replaced already and that's about it. No issues. Thanks. Once again sorry if this is a double post.
The messages you get may serve as good reminders to at least consider something, but that system does not really know any better what your car actually needs than my grandmother does, and she died in 1976. The car basically tracks 4 things - oil changes by miles or time, brake fluid flush, and front and rear brake pads. It may also just have a general service reminder based on miles. But the system is not actually measuring anything, it's just giving you a guess based on when somebody last reset each component of the system. So, whether you need an oil change depends on when it was last actually done. Or do you need spark plugs? At 81k you are overdue if they were never done, but not due yet if somebody changed them at 50k. See what I'm saying? Same with air filters. A dealer might say you should change filters at 81k. But are they dirty? When were they last done? And don't believe when the system says you need brake pads. Go by actual measured pad thickness. There is no 81k list of items that BMW puts out. Most things are keyed to oil changes - like do this or that every third oil change type of thing. But most of that is overkill. At 81k you'd be better off having the suspension inspected because bushings will start going bad about then, and maybe have your tranny fluid/filter changed even though BMW says it's "lifetime."
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Do recommend transmission drain/fill - and new integral pan w/filter install - at about 75K miles. Ditto on transfer case fluid. This is about what tranny Mfgr ZF recommends.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:

The messages you get may serve as good reminders to at least consider something, but that system does not really know any better what your car actually needs than my grandmother does, and she died in 1976. The car basically tracks 4 things - oil changes by miles or time, brake fluid flush, and front and rear brake pads. It may also just have a general service reminder based on miles. But the system is not actually measuring anything, it's just giving you a guess based on when somebody last reset each component of the system. So, whether you need an oil change depends on when it was last actually done. Or do you need spark plugs? At 81k you are overdue if they were never done, but not due yet if somebody changed them at 50k. See what I'm saying? Same with air filters. A dealer might say you should change filters at 81k. But are they dirty? When were they last done? And don't believe when the system says you need brake pads. Go by actual measured pad thickness. There is no 81k list of items that BMW puts out. Most things are keyed to oil changes - like do this or that every third oil change type of thing. But most of that is overkill. At 81k you'd be better off having the suspension inspected because bushings will start going bad about then, and maybe have your tranny fluid/filter changed even though BMW says it's "lifetime."
I just talked to the dealer today, plugs were changed at 50k. I need brakes and rotors all around so I will have him do the brake fluid flush while he's at it, along with the Trans fluid, and i guess now the transfer case fluid. I'm new to the X3 game so this was a lot of help. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce24 View Post
Have you checked in iDrive?

Vehicle Info
> Vehicle status
> the car icon which is Service required
The idrive says oil service but the oil level is fine and brakes but I just changed the oil 2k miles ago so I'm confused why. Going to go a brake fluid change as well
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
The idrive says oil service but the oil level is fine and brakes but I just changed the oil 2k miles ago so I'm confused why. Going to go a brake fluid change as well
Did you (reset oil) tel the car the oil was changed?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #8
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
Did you (reset oil) tel the car the oil was changed?
Uhhhh. I don't think so. Do I need to do it from
The car or download that program oh my laptop and connect it to the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just talked to the dealer today, plugs were changed at 50k. I need brakes and rotors all around so I will have him do the brake fluid flush while he's at it, along with the Trans fluid, and i guess now the transfer case fluid. I'm new to the X3 game so this was a lot of help. Thank you
Transmission service is bit pricey, but definitely worth doing if you plan to keep the car upwards of 150K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #10
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Transmission service is bit pricey, but definitely worth doing if you plan to keep the car upwards of 150K miles.
I actually bought the kit from FCP euro with the new pan, filter and liqui molly
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      01-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Resetting the oil counter is easy - no programming needed. You only use the odometer reset button. The procedure has been posted quite a few times. If you don't find it I can post it again.

My question is how a CPO car needs new pads and rotors after 4,000 miles?? Are you saying it was CPO at 77k miles? I didn't know BMW would CPO a car with that many miles. But if it was, then part of the CPO would be to ensure the brakes had at least half their life left. I'd be raising hell for at least half the cost of that work. But if you do need to have it done, don't do it at the dealer. Have an indy do it for half the price.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Resetting the oil counter is easy - no programming needed. You only use the odometer reset button. The procedure has been posted quite a few times. If you don't find it I can post it again.

My question is how a CPO car needs new pads and rotors after 4,000 miles?? Are you saying it was CPO at 77k miles? I didn't know BMW would CPO a car with that many miles. But if it was, then part of the CPO would be to ensure the brakes had at least half their life left. I'd be raising hell for at least half the cost of that work. But if you do need to have it done, don't do it at the dealer. Have an indy do it for half the price.
Yeah not quite sure how this happened with the brakes, quite honestly it's no big deal I got a shop here in Brooklyn who specializes in German cars that's been around for 30 years and way cheaper the then the dealer. $125 an hour opposed to what is it now? $250?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #13
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually bought the kit from FCP euro with the new pan, filter and liqui molly
Exactly what I did bro
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If it were me and I bought a CPO that needed brakes and rotors within 4k miles, I'd have the dealer I purchased it from do the work free of charge. They should not have sold the vehicle as a CPO without ensuring the brakes had more life left in them.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If it were me and I bought a CPO that needed brakes and rotors within 4k miles, I'd have the dealer I purchased it from do the work free of charge. They should not have sold the vehicle as a CPO without ensuring the brakes had more life left in them.
In contact with them to. They also had to change the thermostat after 100 miles because it was stuck open. I'll never go to this dealer again.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #16
Mikeragu
Rep

Just got some service done guys with at 83K:

Oil change
Brakes and Rotors
Brake Fluid Flush
Air filter
Cabin filter
Tie Rods
ATF flush
Transfer case flush

Took my car for brakes found out I needed tie rods. After tie rods I found out I needed a rack and pinion. Any one know where to get a good used one or remanufactured without having to rob a bank? Tomorrow I'm going to get an alignment and the Diff fluids changed as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #17
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Took my car for brakes found out I needed tie rods. After tie rods I found out I needed a rack and pinion. Any one know where to get a good used one or remanufactured without having to rob a bank? Tomorrow I'm going to get an alignment and the Diff fluids changed as well.
What's wrong with your steering rack that it needs to be replaced? Also curious if your tie rods really needed to be replaced or they thought they did cause the steering rack has play and needs to be adjusted or install the steering rack repair kit (new thrust piece) 32-10-6-891-974. All this on a CPO? What do they actually certify, that it's drivable?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:33 AM   #18
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What's wrong with your steering rack that it needs to be replaced? Also curious if your tie rods really needed to be replaced or they thought they did cause the steering rack has play and needs to be adjusted or install the steering rack repair kit (new thrust piece) 32-10-6-891-974. All this on a CPO? What do they actually certify, that it's drivable?
The tie rods were bad they showed me a lot of play, after all I do live in Brooklyn NY the pot holes and road conditions are horrible
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #19
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The tie rods were bad they showed me a lot of play, after all I do live in Brooklyn NY the pot holes and road conditions are horrible
And the tie rods were fixed and tight but the left wheel still makes a sound a little bit
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #20
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And the tie rods were fixed and tight but the left wheel still makes a sound a little bit
The left wheel will have play when the steering rack needs to be adjusted or better yet install the steering rack repair kit (new thrust piece) 32-10-6-891-974. I doubt you need to replace the rack. With the engine off, turn steering left to right very quickly and it you hear a knocking sound, the rack has play and needs adjusted.

Is the CPO dealer fixing these issues or are you paying out of pocket, cause a CPO should not have these type of issues? Tie rods shouldn't develop play in 4k miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #21
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The left wheel will have play when the steering rack needs to be adjusted or better yet install the steering rack repair kit (new thrust piece) 32-10-6-891-974. I doubt you need to replace the rack. With the engine off, turn steering left to right very quickly and it you hear a knocking sound, the rack has play and needs adjusted.

Is the CPO dealer fixing these issues or are you paying out of pocket, cause a CPO should not have these type of issues? Tie rods shouldn't develop play in 4k miles.
I am in a huge fight with them. Thank you for your help
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #22
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am in a huge fight with them. Thank you for your help
You should not have to fight with them. If you're not getting anywhere with the dealer, contact BMW customer relations and tell them your story and ask them to step in and make your CPO vehicle right.
Appreciate 0