BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
BMW JA
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 X3, 73 454 Vette,

Eliminate the ugly sun visor notice!

I am kind of a grumpy fanatic in my old age.Things catch my eyes and I wonder why I have to put up with that. I hate the disclaimer that pops up on my X3 when I start it up. I do understand that that could be fixed by using Carly or some other app to eliminate it but I am scared I might mess up some other programing but it is tempting. I mean really? Another one of my irritations are the warning posted on the sun visors. You take a beautiful interior In my case with black dash and Nevada Mojave leather seats and then add yellow and white caution notices that stick out like a sore thumb. Well, this weekend I had my fill. After trying to cover them up with some carefully sprayed Plasti-dip I discovered that the brake cleaner I had used to take off the remains of the spray was also taking off the notices. Using the spray can to wet the cloth I was able to wipe the remains off the drivers side visor clean. On the passenger side I took a different approach. Cutting a piece of paper towel a bit larger than the notice, I wetted it down with brake cleaner and pasted it over the warning for about 2 minutes and was literally able to slide the remains off the visor. Now beware! You will have some additional scrubbing and when you are finished it might look like the visor material has stretched. At least that is what I thought. Since I was still happy with the results because I didn’t have to look at the stickers. The next day I was about to take a hair dryer to see if the glue could be reactivated. To my surprise the vinyl had tightened and EVERYTHING was AOK! I guess it took a while for all the brake cleaner to evaporate. Now my X3 is a 2013 and maybe your visors are of a different material but this procedure worked for me. Proceed at your own risk!

Last edited by BMW JA; 03-10-2020 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

There is basically zero risk of messing anything up to remove your iDrive warning, as well as your backup camera warning. If you download Bimmercode and buy the VeePeak bluetooth OBD adapter, it will take you five minutes. The cost of both will be $60ish. I can walk you through every step if you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JA View Post
I am kind of a grumpy fanatic in my old age.Things catch my eyes and I wonder why I have to put up with that. I hate the disclaimer that pops up on my X3 when I start it up. I do understand that that could be fixed by using Carly or some other app to eliminate it but I am scared I might mess up some other programing but it is tempting. I mean really? Another one of my irritations are the warning posted on the sun visors. You take a beautiful interior In my case with black dash and Nevada Mojave leather seats and then add yellow and white caution notices that stick out like a sore thumb. Well, this weekend I had my fill. After trying to cover them up with some carefully sprayed Plasti-dip I discovered that the brake cleaner I had used to take off the remains of the spray was also taking off the notices. Using the spray can to wet the cloth I was able to wipe the remains off the drivers side visor clean. On the passenger side I took a different approach. Cutting a piece of paper towel a bit larger than the notice, I wetted it down with brake cleaner and pasted it over the warning for about 2 minutes and was literally able to slide the remains off the visor. Now beware! You will have some additional scrubbing and when you are finished it might look like the visor material has stretched. At least that is what I thought. Since I was still happy with the results because I didn’t have to look at the stickers. The next day I was about to take a hair dryer to see if the glue could be reactivated. To my surprise the vinyl had tightened and EVERYTHING was AOK! I guess it took a while for all the brake cleaner to evaporate. Now my X3 is a 2013 and maybe your visors are of a different material but this procedure worked for me. Proceed at your own risk!
You are a brave soul, not a scared one. Can you post a couple of clear well lit pix of what that visor area looks like now that the decals are gone? I too don't like seeing the iDrive warning, its a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
There is basically zero risk of messing anything up to remove your iDrive warning, as well as your backup camera warning. If you download Bimmercode and buy the VeePeak bluetooth OBD adapter, it will take you five minutes. The cost of both will be $60ish. I can walk you through every step if you want.
Hmmmm, I recently bought the VeePeak reader and used it in combination with BimmerLink but have not used BimmerCode yet. I guess from reading your post there must be a button to click in BimmerCode to zap the warning, yes?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Hmmmm, I recently bought the VeePeak reader and used it in combination with BimmerLink but have not used BimmerCode yet. I guess from reading your post there must be a button to click in BimmerCode to zap the warning, yes?
Yes. Bimmercode is very well organized, and there is a sub-category of "warnings" that you simply select on or off, then click on "code" and it will finish in 20 seconds or so.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Yes. Bimmercode is very well organized, and there is a sub-category of "warnings" that you simply select on or off, then click on "code" and it will finish in 20 seconds or so.
Thanks Opie55, I'm going to do it. I hate the stupid warning, makes me feel like an idiot that they have to remind me how to drive - ugh!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
BMW JA
Private
Rep

Here are some shots!

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...1&d=1583885403
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
BMW JA
Private
Rep

Here is one more.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...1&d=1583886326
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I can't believe you removed that warning notice off the visors, that's worse then removing a mattress tag under penalty of law...jk... Good Job

I removed that ugly warning notice off the visor of my 2007 Z4 ///M Coupe many years ago. The visors were back as most everything in the interior so they stood out like a sore thumb. I used Goof Off. It worked well and doesn't evaporate as quickly as brake clean. It was scary since, like you the visor skin got all stretched out and wavy, but after several hours in the sun, the skin tightened up like nothing ever happened, except no more warning notice.

As for removing all the other electronic warnings, I used e-sys to code them out. There's a lot more cool stuff to do with coding then just removing some nag screens.

-Close Trunk/ Tailgate through button on FOB
-Close Trunk/ Tailgate through button on driver side
-DVD in Motion
-Disables iDrive legal disclaimer during iDrive startup.
-Disables camera legal disclaimer
-Add Pressure and Temperature Readings to the TPMS Screen
-Remove seat belt warning chime
-Digital Speed in BC
-Allow Windows To continue to Roll Down When Door Is opened
-Fog Lights stay on w/ High Beams
-Add Blinkers to HUD Display
-Enable Side-View Cameras at all Speeds
-Close mirrors + windows + moon roof through Key Fob
-Macro_trailer_coupling (zoom in camera)
-Enable sport transmission
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JA View Post
Impressive, I would have thought it would ruin the material. Wow!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

that looks so good, and clean. i'll be doing the same, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
BMW JA
Private
Rep

Bimmercode soo cool!

Ok I took the plung and got the dongle and Bimmercode and I am having a blast! Now that I have my X3 almost the way I want it, I want to install ambient lighting in the footwells and cup holders. Then I am done! Anotherwords project planning!
Appreciate 0