BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
adamandmikah
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Performance Center Pickup!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I will be going through the Performance Center Pickup tomorrow morning! Can\'t wait to get my X3 28i!

I will write a full report and hopefully will remember to take pictures. So far the hotel experience has been very good.

Adam

2013 328i - Mineral Grey, Dakota Black, Technology Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Sunshades
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Kahunawahoo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 335i

Looking forward to hearing about your experience, congrats!!!
Pictures please
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
adamandmikah
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Update!

OK -- here is my recap of my pickup from Friday...pictures included! First thing to say -- it was awesome! And as you will see...we had beautiful weather!

We (my wife and I) flew down to GSP Airport and were picked up at the airport by a Gran Turismo on loan from BMW. They took us over to the Marriott, which was also covered by BMW. Quick note about the staff there -- everyone was UNBELIEVABLY nice and helpful. Could not have been nicer. Anyway, we ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel, called Giatu. The food was excellent as was the service. This was covered by BMW as well.

The next morning we ate breakfast and headed over to the Performance Center. After a quick driving lesson in the classroom (where they make it clear that it is "Not Your Car" so you can push it hard), we headed out to the track. Each group (there were 8 on Friday) got a car that was similar to what they were buying...so we had an X3. We split into 3 groups and my group took on the emergency braking course first. We drove at a set speed (20 then 35, then 40, then 50) and slammed on the brakes while trying to control where you were looking and going.

IMG_0279 by lenmccart, on Flickr

I don't have pictures of the next course, which was the slalom course. Here they are teaching you the basics of race driving. Not being a car race person, it was really interesting to learn how to use brakes effectively, and hitting the apex of a curve, etc... It was a lot of fun!

Next we went to the skid pad, which was soaked down. Here they were showing off their traction control. This was the only event when the pro was in the car. We had to switch to the 335i because the test won't work on an xDrive vehicle. We started around the pad at 20 mph and floored it. Of course you started skidding immediately...which is super fun. After a couple of rounds like that he turned the traction control back on. The car didn't skid out after that, which was pretty impressive.

IMG_0281 by lenmccart, on Flickr

Now that the course work was finished we all got to go on a Hot Lap with the pros driving. We were in the last generation M5...which was incredible. There was also another M5 and an M3. As I said before, I am not a racing person...but it was incredible. I have video of them taking on the skid pad...but it is taking too long to upload. Here is a picture of me with the M3.
IMG_0759 by lenmccart, on Flickr

After lunch we took delivery of our car: a Space Grey X3 28i! We went with the brushed aluminum interior.

IMG_0285 by lenmccart, on Flickr

IMG_0292 by lenmccart, on Flickr

After lunch we went to the offroad course. We drove through water and up and down rock hills. The hill descent control is pretty impressive.

Then we went over the factory tour. They took away our phones...so no cameras. They did let us drive up on the sidewalk to take some pictures though.

IMG_0774 by lenmccart, on Flickr

So that was basically it...we drove the 8 hours home in the new car! I would highly recommend doing the pickup if it makes sense for where you are living. It was really fun and a different experience than a normal car purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I was there too! Me and by friend did the factory tour and the performance course. We were at the delivery center from about 3PM to 5:30PM! We got to drive the X5 around the off road course and got to drive an X5M, 750Li, 135i, and Z4 35is around the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

PC Delivery

Does the Performance Center offer deliveries Monday thru Friday?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

How was the prep and detailing of your vehicle?

My local dealer has a history of prepping cars just awful: lots of dried wax on black plastic trim. I honestly think they hand their orbital buffer to a 5 year old. So I'm considering Performance Center pickup for the reason of simply avoiding my dealer. I'd imagine the BMW factory people have been trained how to prep a vehicle properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
adamandmikah
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
JoeyO -- the car was great. Just one little mark that they took care of right away. I would highly recommend the experience!

2013 328i - Mineral Grey, Dakota Black, Technology Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Sunshades
Appreciate 0