BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Clunk from the brake

I had a slight clunk from the passenger side front brake. It happened when I first braked in reverse after braking moving forward (and the other way round).

Took it to the dealer last week and they checked with BMW. Apparently there was a slight upgrade to apply to stop what they thought was happening, which is the pad moving slightly in it's housing. This made sense.

Car went in today to fit the upgrade. All sorted. I thought.

Guess what comes next ......

Yup you got it.........

(disclaimer: The following is a reconstruction and any familiarility with real persons is purely coincidental)

Reversed off my driveway.......

Braked........

Clunk!

"WTF"

Anyone else had this problem ? Strangely now only seems to happen when I brake first time in reverse and no longer also the other way round.

Phone call to the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Someone else posted something similar to this, particularly in reverse. Try searching for brakes and clunk. I've not experienced anything like this mine so far and 2000 miles in

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Spot on Sfax. Couple more people reported exactly the same. Both from the front brakes and one specifically from the front left like mine.

There's a conspiracy theory in this somewhere .......

Seems for me at least that the fix isn't a fix. Will pm the other guys and get them to update so there's a trail for all.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Steven40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d F25

It was me, I have it also on my car! It happens when I want to park between two cars.
I stop and brake at the first car, put the car in reverse, turn between the two cars and brake again. CLUNK !
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Is Auto-H on?
      05-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

I don't have the auto hold as a specific feature so no. There are a couple more people out there with this exact same issue too (they mention it in the "engine bounce" thread at the beginning of May.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Spoke to the dealer. This is the first time they have come across the issue (not surprising given the low number of cars shipped in the UK).

The work they did yesterday was a "technical upgrade" as advised by BMW in Germany. They are now submitting a technical report to BMW and will let me know when they hear from them. I will update when I know any more.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I had a slight clunk from the passenger side front brake. It happened when I first braked in reverse after braking moving forward (and the other way round).

Took it to the dealer last week and they checked with BMW. Apparently there was a slight upgrade to apply to stop what they thought was happening, which is the pad moving slightly in it's housing. This made sense.

Car went in today to fit the upgrade. All sorted. I thought.

Guess what comes next ......

Yup you got it.........

(disclaimer: The following is a reconstruction and any familiarility with real persons is purely coincidental)

Reversed off my driveway.......

Braked........

Clunk!

"WTF"

Anyone else had this problem ? Strangely now only seems to happen when I brake first time in reverse and no longer also the other way round.

Phone call to the dealer tomorrow.

had same problem, took it back to dealers who diagnosed passenger side front brake pad moving slightly within caliper .they spoke with bmw technical dept who seemed to be aware of the problem because they instructed my dealer to fit an alternative brake pads to both front wheels .This seems to have sorted problem ,at the moment as the clunking has stopped.
will report back to forum if it returns .Apart from this so pleased with F25 as a car and i have run bmw,s for the last 20 years updating on a regular basis, bmw have produced an extremely good car for all to enjoy .looking to see what the X4 will look like before i look to renew the F25
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Update - Apparently BMW are having this issue on a few models not just the X3. It is they believe being caused by some build up of brake dust from the new pads. They are not concerned it is a safety issue and their R
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Steven40
Private
Rep

How is the CLUNK so far ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Getting a bit better but still noticeable at times. Away this week on business but when back next week plan to speak to dealer to see if there's any update from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Steven40
Private
Rep

How is the "CLUNK" after another month ?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
newX3owner
Rep
Drives: X3

hmm interesting i have this same issue, except it wasnt there until it came back after some service maintaince....now when i brake during reverse, i get this slight clunk.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
11x35SapphireBlk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3.5 Black Sapphire

it is a low cost safety feature designed to make you pause and look around to see if you are hitting something :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

I wonder if one took the brakes apart and put some of the red glue "disc brake quiet" stuff in there, if it would fix it? If I have this issue when I get my rig, I might just try it and fix it myself, if need be.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #16
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

The noise is less frequent but I can recreate it at will.

Still no news from BMW but there is another thread today where someone has this issue and it is going in for a fix. Let's see if it works !
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Just realised that it is you steven40 that is going for the fix!

I got no "circular sum" warning but thought I would cut it off before the whole discussion forum implodes and we are all sucked into the black hole it creates.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
Steven40
Private
Rep

If I have more news, I will inform you.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Spoke to the dealer. This is the first time they have come across the issue (not surprising given the low number of cars shipped in the UK).

The work they did yesterday was a "technical upgrade" as advised by BMW in Germany. They are now submitting a technical report to BMW and will let me know when they hear from them. I will update when I know any more.
So your car's in Beta then?!?

You weren't in Watford Gap services on Weds afternoon by any chance? Saw a car of your spec with Yorkshire plates (Y*60). Then again, came home yesterday and saw another Space Grey X3 with the standard wheels pulling out opposite my house (reg started OO11 - any takers?). Both looked luvverly and made me pleased to have chosen Space Grey and stuck with the standard wheels.
      07-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
The noise is less frequent but I can recreate it at will.

Still no news from BMW but there is another thread today where someone has this issue and it is going in for a fix. Let's see if it works !
my x3 has been in to dealers yet again for the brake clunking ,dealer has tried everything to sort problem,they have spoken with bmw germany tech dept who have told them to fit a modification kit to brakes [which would infer they are aware of a problem with brakes making clunking noise ],but guess what kit not available in UK for approx next 4-6 weeks.in the meantime brakes continue to clunk
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #21
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Quote:

So your car's in Beta then?!?

You weren't in Watford Gap services on Weds afternoon by any chance? Saw a car of your spec with Yorkshire plates (Y*60). Then again, came home yesterday and saw another Space Grey X3 with the standard wheels pulling out opposite my house (reg started OO11 - any takers?). Both looked luvverly and made me pleased to have chosen Space Grey and stuck with the standard wheels.
Not guilty I am afraid. Mine has a private reg on it including "22". Keep a look out !
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #22
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Steven40. Did you get a result on this issue ?
Appreciate 0