BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
ttvparker
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i

Interior creaks and squeaks

Just picked up the new x3 yesterday afternoon. Its beautiful. We drove it home about 130 miles last night and didn't notice any interior noises. However, this morning I took her out to get some coffee and I heard this apparent squeak or creak seeming to come from behind the driver's door. It happens over minor bumps or small curbs.

I did play around with the cargo cover (i closed it) and I am wondering if this is the culprit. Has anyone else had a similar problem and has it been the cargo cover? Is this normal and is there a way to fix it short of taking it out (If this is, in fact, the problem)

Thanks for sharing your advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
ttvparker
Rep

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttvparker View Post
Just picked up the new x3 yesterday afternoon. Its beautiful. We drove it home about 130 miles last night and didn't notice any interior noises. However, this morning I took her out to get some coffee and I heard this apparent squeak or creak seeming to come from behind the driver's door. It happens over minor bumps or small curbs.

I did play around with the cargo cover (i closed it) and I am wondering if this is the culprit. Has anyone else had a similar problem and has it been the cargo cover? Is this normal and is there a way to fix it short of taking it out (If this is, in fact, the problem)

Thanks for sharing your advice!
After taking a look at it from the backseat while driving, it seems to be coming from the drivers side of the moonroof. The noise either comes from above the headliner or just behind the drivers seat right around the moonroof.

The squeak reminds me of those terrible noises in the shuttle buses from the airport. It mainly happens when turning or going over a small curb. Anything that flexes the body slightly.

What I am wondering now is do I take it back to the dealer I bought from (about 1.5 hrs away) or do I take it to the nearest dealer (more like 10 minutes away) I wouldn't want to get hit with any warranty deductible on the car since I just bought it a couple of days ago. Let me know some thoughts. Appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
ttvparker
Rep

video of the creaks. Anyone else have this?? Its rather loud and annoying. Wondering if I should alert my CA. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
My car doesnt squeak quite like that, but only does it when i hit a bump and the left and the right side of the car aren't "even" if that makes any sense.

the car is tight and solid, but when all four wheels are doing something slightly different the car creaks from the back.

not when im driving though, just when im rolling over a major bump slowly...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
ttvparker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
My car doesnt squeak quite like that, but only does it when i hit a bump and the left and the right side of the car aren't "even" if that makes any sense.

the car is tight and solid, but when all four wheels are doing something slightly different the car creaks from the back.

not when im driving though, just when im rolling over a major bump slowly...
Mine also does this when the wheels aren't "even." But it doesn't just do it on the more major bumps, but on the smaller ones too or even around corners like a round-a-bout. Its only on the left side near the back of the sunroof when open. I sent my CA an email with a link to the video to see if he thinks its normal. I just can't imagine people overlooking it, at least at the frequency I am experiencing. I don't feel I am nit-picking. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I would definitely take it in to have it looked at. That is not normal. Mine makes zero noise. It is covered under warranty so no reason not to have them try to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Wow, nicely recorded ! Sounded like the sunroof to me. Good luck at the dealer's.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
ttvparker
Rep

called the dealer and pointed him to the video. He said he hears it and plans to get back to me after speaking with a service advisor.
Appreciate 0