BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #111
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The 1.5km distance limit and the cannot-locate-whilst-ignition-is-on are privacy settings. I wish you could remove it as it would be good for peace of mind and useful in the event that your X3 was ever stolen

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #112
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Found the app very useful sat in the cinema on Saturday night waiting for The Iron Lady to start when I had one of those "shit, did I lock the car?" worries. Locked the doors remotely using the app without moving my ass from the cinema seat. All over it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #113
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 f25

Bmw remote for android is here?

Hi,
There was a previous post here about android. I googled it and apparently bmw has released the app back in oct 2011???since my x3 is not here yet can someone try to download it through loging in to bmw assist or sth?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #114
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
doesn't the car locks automatically if you walk away few feets?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #115
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
Only if you have comfort/convenience package for keyless lock/unlock

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #116
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoros View Post
Hi,
There was a previous post here about android. I googled it and apparently bmw has released the app back in oct 2011???since my x3 is not here yet can someone try to download it through loging in to bmw assist or sth?
Technically speaking, I don't believe it has been released. There was a lot of chatter that it was under development though.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #117
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Only if you have comfort/convenience package for keyless lock/unlock
I don't believe this to be correct, at least with my vehicle in the US. Then again, I don't have the option set to lock doors if you unlock them and actually don't open the car. Maybe the two features are related?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #118
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post

I don't believe this to be correct, at least with my vehicle in the US. Then again, I don't have the option set to lock doors if you unlock them and actually don't open the car. Maybe the two features are related?
Although I haven't tried it, I'm pretty sure that it only locks automatically if you unlock it and then don't actually open a door (e.g. if you unlock by mistake). I don't see why you would ever want it to just lock itself if left unlocked. What if your key was inside or you had someone in the back who needed to get out quickly?

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #119
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Although I haven't tried it, I'm pretty sure that it only locks automatically if you unlock it and then don't actually open a door (e.g. if you unlock by mistake). I don't see why you would ever want it to just lock itself if left unlocked. What if your key was inside or you had someone in the back who needed to get out quickly?
This is actually an option that can be set through the idrive. However I think what the above poster is asking is that if you drive your X somewhere, get out and walk away... will it lock after some time. The answer is No. Although it would be a nice feature to have incase you've forgotten and the keys are not within 3 ft from the car. I've forgotten to lock mine a few times. Thankfully the BMW remote app has allowed me to lock it from a distance.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #120
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

This is a really dumb question so please excuse my ignorance. My X3, 35i is on order for early Feb.

I chose NOT to purchase the Navigation package ( I did, however, order, M Sport, DHP and Carbon Metallic Black with Oyster). Is this thread about the iPhone app. still applicable without Nav?

thx guys....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #121
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytnt View Post
This is a really dumb question so please excuse my ignorance. My X3, 35i is on order for early Feb.

I chose NOT to purchase the Navigation package ( I did, however, order, M Sport, DHP and Carbon Metallic Black with Oyster). Is this thread about the iPhone app. still applicable without Nav?

thx guys....
Part of the app is sending destinations to the car so that may rule it out for cars with no nav. You also need a subscription for the car's built-in SIM - usually part of BMW Assist. You can't get this without a nav package in the UK at least. So in short: no, I'm afraid

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #122
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Part of the app is sending destinations to the car so that may rule it out for cars with no nav. You also need a subscription for the car's built-in SIM - usually part of BMW Assist. You can't get this without a nav package in the UK at least. So in short: no, I'm afraid
I'd say its wrong. All you need is an active BMW assist account. Without the Nav, you will not be able utilize the feature as sending an address to your car. Other than that everything else will work.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #123
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
I'd say its wrong. All you need is an active BMW assist account. Without the Nav, you will not be able utilize the feature as sending an address to your car. Other than that everything else will work.
I'm not sure why the car would have or need a SIM if you had no nav and no BMW Online. You only get a SIM with pro nav (UK, Europe) and I think only with the tech package (NA). That's why I stated no, as in no tech package no SIM

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #124
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
I'm not sure why the car would have or need a SIM if you had no nav and no BMW Online. You only get a SIM with pro nav (UK, Europe) and I think only with the tech package (NA). That's why I stated no, as in no tech package no SIM
Is there a way to get to that built in SIM card and replace it with your own?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #125
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
I don't think that website works in NA. I was able to get the connected drive app to work. It uses the email address of bmw assist and the password that I provided my SA earlier this year. I find issues with having the UK iTunes account and the US iTunes account. When I switch back to my US account, the connected drive crashes. I have to delete it, switch to my virtual UK account, then log back in. It's kinda a pain. Actually, Connected Drive is more of a toy most of the time. I honk the horn or flash the lights for friends simply to be a smart ass.

using the map app within the connected drive app is probably the most useful feature. (i.e. to send nav addresses to the car). I like this, a lot. Entering addresses in car is time consuming. However, with a mobile device, it's slick.

On the flip side, it did come in handy when my wife parked the car at the other end of a parking lot and I had to find it! I was walking around aimlessly with my phone in my hand and it was slick to find the car. This was very atypical for me, though.

Good luck, all!
I have the connected drive app--but how do you send addresses from it to the car?

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #126
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajicky View Post
I have the connected drive app--but how do you send addresses from it to the car?
You can't send address to your car with BMW Connected app. You need My BMW Remote app to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #127
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The app however, feeds off of BMW assist. When you set up the remote app, you need to input your BMW assist user name and password in order for it to communicate with your BMW. I am not too sure how it is in Europe but all BMW's have BMW assist regardless of equipment.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #128
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
You can't send address to your car with BMW Connected app. You need My BMW Remote app to do it.
My BMW Remote works for sending addresses to the car, but it isn't required where Google Maps works. If you have BMW Assist then you can send a Destination to your X3 from Google Maps. From Google Maps, Click on the Chain-link icon in the top left quadrant of the screen, Click on Send, Select Car, Select BMW, and enter your BMW Assist e-mail address.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #129
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
My BMW Remote works for sending addresses to the car, but it isn't required where Google Maps works. If you have BMW Assist then you can send a Destination to your X3 from Google Maps. From Google Maps, Click on the Chain-link icon in the top left quadrant of the screen, Click on Send, Select Car, Select BMW, and enter your BMW Assist e-mail address.
Google Maps Send To Car doesn't work on a mobile device though, hence why you need the BMW Remote app

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #130
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen
Quote:
The app however, feeds off of BMW assist. When you set up the remote app, you need to input your BMW assist user name and password in order for it to communicate with your BMW. I am not too sure how it is in Europe but all BMW's have BMW assist regardless of equipment.
You need pro nav (large screen) and a BMW Assist subscription (part of package) in the UK. You'd still need the car to have a SIM either way

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #131
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have the BMW remote app, and it works for the dumb stuff (flashing lights, tooting the horn). I tried sending an address to it, and it said "successfully transmitted" but when I went to the car and checked the messages, it wasn't there. Any advice?

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #132
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajicky View Post
I have the BMW remote app, and it works for the dumb stuff (flashing lights, tooting the horn). I tried sending an address to it, and it said "successfully transmitted" but when I went to the car and checked the messages, it wasn't there. Any advice?
Try sending from Google Maps. You'll probably get the same outcome. Sounds like your BMW Assist account isn't setup properly

Appreciate 0