BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
I think some of this concern also has to do with where one lives. If you live in crime central then it may be of a concern.

Personally, I am more concerned with bears in my backyard ripping down my bird feeders and coyotees stealing and eating my cat then someone stealing my car code and taking my car...
Good point and enjoyed reading your concerns but professional thieves don't generally steal cars from crime central. They drive out to the leafy suburbs and steal expensive cars to order from peoples' homes.

It's like people getting burgled and saying "I don't understand it. I live in such a nice area with no crime". Yep, a nice area where people have lots of nice and expensive things that are easy to steal

Whether a new X3 is deemed worth the risk and effort for professional thieves is another matter. New M3, X5 defnitely more at risk.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #24
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Actually, you make a great point as there have been recent break in's in a residential area not far from my home.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
Actually, you make a great point as there have been recent break in's in a residential area not far from my home.
A mate of mine had his 5 series stolen off his driveway a couple of months ago. Break-in, keys hidden in his house, but not well enough. The 5 series also made a handy container for all the stuff they stole too. It happens a lot sadly

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

How sad is it that I too take my car and indeed house keys to bed!?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #27
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

i do that too after my 3.0 z4 was stolen/recovered close to 5 yrs ago. Bearing in mind this was just after it first launched, I'm now looking at installing the trackstar on the x3 as well..if/when i do get it...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

+1 for all keys in the bedroom! And laptops!

Do you think it's worth installing a trackstar? It could mean it gets picked up before reaching a port and being put in a container.

What happens with the insurance if it gets stolen when it's brand new? I heard that you can get a policy that gives you full amount you paid for the first couple of years rather than its replacement value, but haven't read the small print.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #29
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

in my order pack, there's a bmw Retail Price Protection which may be what you're referring to whereby they pay out the diff between the original purchase price of the vehicle and the amount received from the insurer in the event of a loss through damage, fire or theft... for 599 quid...

not read the fine print either...

never had a trackstar before so open to opinions too...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
in my order pack, there's a bmw Retail Price Protection which may be what you're referring to whereby they pay out the diff between the original purchase price of the vehicle and the amount received from the insurer in the event of a loss through damage, fire or theft... for 599 quid...

not read the fine print either...

never had a trackstar before so open to opinions too...
I think that's where I saw it actually. I wonder how watertight that actually is though should the worst happen. I'm always suspicious of policies like that. It's a bit like payment protection insurance which looks good on paper until you try to claim on it and then find out that even though you broke a leg and you have to drive to work, you don't qualify for any payout.

I looked at insurance premium quotes previously and adding a tracker made no difference at all. Will have to do this again for real soon so will check again.

Appreciate 0