BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Door Locks

One thing that is really starting to annoy me now is the door locks on my car. When I and / or my passenger get out of the car, I would expect all the other doors to unlock as they did in my previous car, but in this, when I or my passenger go to get a jacket or something off the back seat, we find the back doors locked and either have to fish around in my pocket for the keys to unlock them or get back in the car to press the unlock button. Is there a setting that I'm missing here (or do I need to set it up for all doors to unlock on the remote rather than driver's door only on first push of the remote) or is this just plain bad design??!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

In our US model, with door locks set to "all doors" under the settings menu, all doors will unlock with the first push of the remote. Using the central locking button on the center of the dash, everything unlocks, 4 doors, hatch and fuel door.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me View Post
One thing that is really starting to annoy me now is the door locks on my car. When I and / or my passenger get out of the car, I would expect all the other doors to unlock as they did in my previous car, but in this, when I or my passenger go to get a jacket or something off the back seat, we find the back doors locked and either have to fish around in my pocket for the keys to unlock them or get back in the car to press the unlock button. Is there a setting that I'm missing here (or do I need to set it up for all doors to unlock on the remote rather than driver's door only on first push of the remote) or is this just plain bad design??!!
Bad design. I have not found a way to get the back doors to unlock automatically with the front doors. Either need to dig out the fob or push the master unlock button. Stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
There is a setting for this in the idrive. either unlock driver or all doors in your 1st push.
      02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

02-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I RTFM!!! I want all of the doors to unlock when I open my door. I shouldn't have to press any button when I get out of my car. I've got 4 SUVs in my driveway, and while my X3 is clearly my favorite, it's also the only one with a f****d up locking system.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

So explain how your other 4 suv's work. I'm missing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
So you want all the doors to unlock when you pull on the handle twice on the driver side door? That's weird to me. At most, in other cars that I've driven - you either have to press on a all-door lock/unlock button (like the x3) - or some cars unlock all doors when you put it in park (which I don't like, actually). Not sure how that makes the x3 to have a eff'd up system.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
If you are new to BMW ownership I would suggest to get used to it since the locking system is identical yet excalt in all series from 2000- current as far from what I owned.
      02-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

With these settings my back doors are unlocked and I have not experienced the problem you're describing.

I'm just guessing here but do you have the "lock after start, to drive" box checked? If so I think that's causing your problem. If you frequently have kids sitting in the back you could leave the box unchecked but turn on the child locks by toggling them on the inside of the door. If you need to have the doors lock after driving there doesn't seem to be any way around having to use the remote.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

I don't seem to have this problem. I usually throw my briefcase onto the back seat and have no trouble opening the back door to retrieve it when I park up. No need to fiddle with the key.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlofessex View Post
I RTFM!!! I want all of the doors to unlock when I open my door. I shouldn't have to press any button when I get out of my car. I've got 4 SUVs in my driveway, and while my X3 is clearly my favorite, it's also the only one with a f****d up locking system.
Oh, you mean when you open your driver's door you want all of the other doors to open at the same time? It won't do exactly that, and it shouldn't because that's a huge safety issue. However, all you need to do is press the central locking button in the middle of the dash. It feels like an extra step, but it also eliminates one pull of the door handle. So, if you hit the central lock (and the doors were locked) all will unlock and you'll only need to pull the driver's door handle once to get out instead of twice.

I disagree. The locking system works better than any vehicle I've ever had. Flexible and safe, but it is different and takes a little getting used to before it's natural to easily achieve what you want.
      02-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh, if you have Comfort Access and have it set to "open all doors" and you're already outside trying to get that jacket out of the back or whatever, remember you can just put your hand through the front door handle to unlock vice using the key.
      02-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

This is extremely annoying to us as well. I find myself cussing out the X3 anytime I have to get something out of the back and even the tailgate. I can't get ours to unlock all doors and tailgate upon parking the vehicle. So annoying.

Standard procedure iMHO should be: 1) Put X3 in park 2) All doors unlock.

On our Tahoe and ML350, both unlock all when put in park.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
This is extremely annoying to us as well. I find myself cussing out the X3 anytime I have to get something out of the back and even the tailgate. I can't get ours to unlock all doors and tailgate upon parking the vehicle. So annoying.

Standard procedure iMHO should be: 1) Put X3 in park 2) All doors unlock.

On our Tahoe and ML350, both unlock all when put in park.
I see it vey differently and would never buy a car that did that. Unlocking the doors on park can be an extremely dangerous thing. Perhaps convenient much of the time, but in the instance where you don't want that to happen and can't stop it, you're hosed.

A suggestion: When you put the car in Park, your hand is just below the central locking button. Perhaps make it a habit of "park button to unlock button" and it'll be almost like your previous vehicles?

Last edited by Nahoa; 02-20-2012 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Isn't this only a problem because you're locking all of the doors in the first place? Just change the iDrive settings so that the doors don't automatically lock when you start driving (lock after start to drive to OFF). If you want the extra security of having all the doors lock when you drive away it seems sensible not to just unlock all of them when you put the car in park

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Ideally we would like ot have it both ways, similar to how our existing vehicles operate. Put car into drive, all doors lock. Put the car in Park, all doors unlock.

I wouldn't want to give up the 'lock doors on drive' feature to keep the doors unlocked.

I am trying to create muscle memory in that every time I park I have to hit the center unlock but my gosh, I've never had so many post-park procedures. Park in a spot, press park button, press engine start/stop button to turn engine off, press start/stop button to turn radio off, press center unlock button (twice I think to get all doors and tailgate to unlock) exit vehicle and be on my way.

Compared to our other vehicles: Park in spot, shift into park, turn engine off and exit vehicle. When exiting the radio and accessories automatically turn off, all doors and tailgate unlock automatically.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You don't have to turn the radio off, the car does that on it's own when you close and lock the doors. Central lock takes only one press.
      02-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

I know I have also faced this situation many a times that when I drive back home and get out to pickup my items from rear , it's do annoying to find rear door locked.

I wish BMW had additional list item with "Open doors when park".

I am lookin for coding to achieve this.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
You don't have to turn the radio off, the car does that on it's own when you close and lock the doors. Central lock takes only one press.
We don't always lock the X3 especially when parking in the garage. Regardless though it still seems like a lot of button pressing when I just want to get out of the car, grab some stuff from the 2nd row and be on my way.

Could be right about the central lock button just taking one press. I'll mess with it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Glad to see that my gripe has caused such a quick flurry of responses and that most are with me in that the way the car is set up is a pain. I want the car to lock itself on drive away (as it does) as I don't relish the prospect of some random stranger jumping into the car when stopped at lights or a junction. I would however like it to unlock all the doors when I am parked up on my drive and have opened my door so I can get stuff off the back seat instead of finding that back door locked. It's a pain, period!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me
Glad to see that my gripe has caused such a quick flurry of responses and that most are with me in that the way the car is set up is a pain. I want the car to lock itself on drive away (as it does) as I don't relish the prospect of some random stranger jumping into the car when stopped at lights or a junction. I would however like it to unlock all the doors when I am parked up on my drive and have opened my door so I can get stuff off the back seat instead of finding that back door locked. It's a pain, period!!
So it supposed to hook up to your GPS too and know which post codes are safe? What about if you park in a dark car park late at night? What about if you live in a dodgy area? Not sure how strangers are more likely to jump in when on the road driving than they are when parking somewhere. Much better and safer to let the driver decide whether it's safe to unlock IMO

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0