BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Does the X3 have side view? (junction view)

I can find no mention of it in the pdf user guide, only rear view and top view.

However the UK brochure states:

Quote:
Surround-view, side-view and rear-view cameras.
Surround-view offers the driver a bird’s-eye-view of the area around the vehicle, shown in the Control Display. The rear-view camera provides a view of the area to the rear of the car. In addition, side-view cameras ensure better visibility when joining a main road from a side street or junction.
Is this correct? or another case of brochure miss-selling?
      02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Top view is like surround view. it uses rear camera and two cameras mounted under the side view mirrors. Non driver side view bends down while reversing and shows good view of curb etc
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Are you referring to the camera system that's mounted on the side of the fron bumper like they do on the 7, 5 and new 3? I don't think the X3 has this feature. Only top view and surround view.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

The X5 has the front cameras that provide sideview capability. The X3, at least in the US does not. The rear (Backup) camera is available, as are two lookdown cameras in the rearview mirror that provide Topview capability.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

No, the X3 does not have any fender mounted side-view cameras, but it does have one on the bottom of each mirror and one on the trunk handle for parking. These provide two camera modes: rear view and top view. Side view is a feature BMW introduced on the Rolls-Royce with fender mounted cameras. Then the 7 and 5 series saw it, along with the X5 refresh back in 2011. Now almost all of the BMW lineup offers the fender mounted cameras, but the X3 was not introduced with them. I believe BMW initially saw it as a mistake to offer such a prestige option on both of their most consumer friendly cars, the X3 and the X5. If there is too much overlap in option availability, then too many people choose the less expensive X3. If you want the leather wrapped dashboard and multicontour seats and side view cameras, you need an X5. BMW typically isn't about to give up the opportunity to rob you and Stacie McSoccerVuitton of your money. But I expect that the X3 will soon offer the feature as the technology becomes more cost-effective and less for those for whom "a la carte shopping" is no struggle.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I fully understand what is meant by top view / surround view (downward cameras in the mirrors providing a birds eye view of the area around the vehicle) and have ordered this.

I am referring to the side view front bumper mounted cameras available on other vehicles in the BMW range that provide you with a split screen left/right view at junctions.

The UK brochure clearly states that this is available and describes it precisely.

Judging from some of the replies I take it that it does not have this feature and this is another "miss-print" or documented case of miss-selling depending on your view...

Last edited by dnw; 02-14-2012 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
The UK brochure clearly states that this is available and describes it precisely.

Judging from some of the replies I take it that it does not have this feature and this is another "miss-print" or documented case of miss-selling depending on your view...
Yes, rather misleding in the UK brochure if it is not correct.

Quote:
In addition, side-view cameras ensure better visibility when joining a main road from a side street or junction.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Not sure specifically what you're looking at, but I've seen some BMW products that address features available generally on some BMW models. If you haven't already, may want to double-check to ensure the one you're reading is intending to address specifically what's available on the X3.

I've seen no indication of Side View availability on the X3. It was not an option when I purchased mine.
      02-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
If you haven't already, may want to double-check to ensure the one you're reading is intending to address specifically what's available on the X3.
The current official (downloadable online and handed out in dealers) BMW X3 brochure (UK).

I am attaching it (P37).

Surely you can't get more "specific" to the X3 than the official X3 brochure? If this doesn't actually apply to X3, then someone should get shot for lazy "copy and pasting" (from another brochure) and bad proof reading...

QT
Attached Images
File Type: pdf x3_catalogue_latest.pdf (10.41 MB, 468 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

As noted by the OP, Side-View, aka Junction View is indeed listed in the UK X3 brochure, and described similarly to the US X5 Side-View option. I know that Side-Views not available on the X3 in the US. I think that it is a misprint in the UK, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's likely to be a mistake. The original brochure that i picked up in Oct 2010 had quite a few errors. Electronically adjustable steering column? Nope, it's manual regardless of electric seats. Bluetooth descriptions were wrong. Pictures of standard steering wheel were wrong

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

No, definitely no junction view. Only side and rear. The only option I had which, with hindsight, I wish I hadn't bothered with.
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

That sure appears to be a blatant error in the brochure! Bummer, too, I'd have liked to see that feature on the X3. I really like the cameras on this car and use them all the time.