BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Alpine White X3 - a few questions

Hello All,
Here in India, we don't get to build your own BMW but rather need to select a variant created by BMW. For X3 LCI, we have 2 variants - Expedition and Xline.

I have already booked an Xline variant and have been allocated a VIN number. My car delivery is in a week.. too excited

The standard brochure for the Xline variant says a few things which probably are called differently in US/Europe markets and hence need some help to connect them together.

Brochure says : Dynamic Damper Control with infinite and independent damping
My VIN decode says: S223A Elektronische Dämpfer Control (EDC) Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
EDC description on BMW.com relates but wanted to check if these are the same.
Also this is manual right? that is, I need to set comfort/sport modes to stiffen the suspension? and that it doesn't automatically adjust to the road condition as its mentioned on website.

Next,
Brochure says : Driving Experience Control (EcoPro,Comfort,Sport,Sport+)
My VIN decode says: S4U2A Eco pro Driving experience switch incl. ECO PRO
These look to be similar. The only question is some of you talk about the "Normal Mode" which automatically adjusts the suspension to what is happening below(road conditions) but I don't think there is such a mode atleast in Indian variant. I have a comfort mode but I don't think it adjusts to road conditions. It just has a preset level.

Also, I saw some instrument clusters here in your pictures with an LCD screen on right which completes the speedometer circle with efficient dynamics(blue). I just have a mechanical needle with litre/100km indication. I wish I had the LCD one since I am sure it has more information.

Rest everything in brochures and VIN decoding seems to connect well..
I was also searching for right-hand drive X3 2014 LCI F25 weathertech floormats. The US website will have left-hand drives so won't work and the UK one has right hand drive but the year shows 2013 and besides it doesn't have second row.
I have an option to buy the BMW mats but weather tech seems better. Has anyone here compared the weather tech with the bmw stuff ?

Thanks much - in advance.
To excited ! just have to wait for a week now.

Anup
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

VDC=EDC search VDC tons of threads, and the dampers do adjust depending on the mode you are in plus other stuff like steering etc depending on your options.

As for mats Pre LCi and LCi should fit interchangeably, still looking to buy also.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks X4guy.
I was trying to understand if there are any differences between EDC and VDC/DDC. I went through a lot of threads and I am able to correlate between what I test-drove and what I read.

The car I test drove, allowed me to change the settings to allow Sports mode to apply to chassis and/or drivetrain which means it is the dynamic handling package in your lingo with automatic suspensions adjustment while driving.

The only thing I could not verify from my test drives was the "automatic" adjustment of stiffness of suspensions either in comfort/sport modes - i.e: rear suspensions stiffening when front wheel goes through a pot hole. I don't know if I was able to experience that level of dynamic adjustments. I was able to manually change the modes and observe steering,brake,suspension changes though.

I also read that DDC is called S223 while EDC as shown on my vin decode is S223A. Thats why I have some doubts about the "automatic" part as mentioned above.

Anup
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, my sales rep is in regular touch with me, explaining the current status of the car. The registration formalities have been completed and they are now "coding" the vehicle.
Wow, how did you guys manage the last 2 days before your car deliveries. I am really getting impatient.

I sold my Audi Q3 and stepping up to X3. Everything was great with Q3 but it wasn't so technologically good on the inside. Also it had standard suspensions which were killing me (mainly the back occupants) in the rear sit in interior country roads when going for weekends.
I asked the sales rep to explain EDC to me and the correlation with dynamic damping control. Well, he is not expected to be totally technical and is struggling. This forum provided a lot of info - so thanks for that.
I am still a little doubtful about the "automatic" part of the suspension adjustment. Like - front wheel goes over a pothole the rear wheel automatically stiffens up in anticipation to go over it - that part. in my test drives, I have configured the sports mode with chassis, drivetrain etc. so clear about it. The EDC part is called S223A.

Anybody with EDC/DDC/VDC - can you confirm how this automatic part is working for you. This almost sounds like adaptive suspension and if it is it's too good to be true.
Let me know. Thanks again - I will be a part of this group on Friday !! Yay!!
Appreciate 0