BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
hmmwvj
Private
Rep
Drives: F30N 320i

What is a softer suspension option for my '04 E83 X3?

I've purchased a 11-2004 production E83 3.0. While I like the car enough to invest in fixes, the ride is punishing on the rough roads where I live. The car is on stock springs, Sachs (stock?) shocks and 225/55R17s. The entire cabin resonates with a godawful, metallic racket on every bump.

For starters, I don't know what suspension option the car has. There is nothing suspension related on the vin decoder. Realoem shows a blank on my springs https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0395 . I've vaguely heard that "the LCI cars have softer suspension" and "US market '04s had intolerably soft suspension that leans badly in corners so were switched early on to a 'performance suspension package.' " But Realoem is likewise silent on any X3 variant.

Do you know how I can find out what springs and shocks I have, and what I should be looking at?

I might be able to get Bilstein's B3 springs and B3 or B6 shocks.

Should I be looking at LCI gear? Or did the LCI incorporate changes to the suspension geometry that can't be retrofitted?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0