BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

What are the X3 must-haves?

Ordering my first BMW and not sure what to equip it with. What are your must haves in options and accessories?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
loatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i

Xenons!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I think the "must haves" very much depend on who you are, how you drive, what you will be using the vehicle for mainly, and how performance-oriented you are. I don't think I could advise someone else as to what is a "must-have" as my "wants" may be totally different.
      03-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Given all of the options that BMW has to offer I think it comes down to driving needs and personal preferences. In saying that here are a few comments:
1. Base X3 is a great vehicle as is. So if price is a concern opt to by the base car.
2. Leather interior, at least for me is a must and I prefer the Sports package.
3. If you live in colder weather conditions the heated steering wheel and heats are a must.
4. I also think the navigation is a great option.

Again, you should check the options out at your local dealer and balance your purchase based on your personal needs and driving preferences.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

First decide on the time that you are planning to own this car and the purpose of this car to you.

If you are planning to sell it shortly, then add most favorite options that many would like to see in the car, like xenons, pana moon roof, leather seats, heated seats, heated steering, navigation, parking sensor with camera.

If you are planning to own it for a quite a good amount of time say like 8 years or so, then it does not matter what you add now, since the technology will be so different in 8 years. So add only what you need now and skip all the remaining so that you can save some money in your pocket.

Also the purpose, if its for you and you only, then think if you love music, if yes then add premium sound, if this is a family car with kids around most of the time, then you will be playing rhymes and stuff like that for which the standard sound will be enough. Like wise see if this car is for your wife and you, also see how many times you are going to be driving this, if she is going to drive more then check if she likes turbo or not, if not you can go for 28i, instead of 35i but you should looking to add convenience features like comfort access, power tailgate etc...which most women would love to have.

So determine what is the need and ask yourselves more questions and that will give you the best answer. Have Fun
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The car is for me. My husband will drive it occasionally, but it's mine. I do have a toddler and a dog that will be with me
most of the time, so those are factors in some of the must haves. I just wasn't certain if there were any options that you couldn't live without...like for me, heated seats are a must! Just curious and wanted to see if there were many repeats.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
Ordering my first BMW and not sure what to equip it with. What are your must haves in options and accessories?
literally everything but the heads up display.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
literally everything but the heads up display.
Aww, come on, I ordered the HUD and am a little excited for it. Ok, agreed, never a situation where it is needed....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
sblove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

In my opinion, must-haves are:

- Sport seats
- Heated seats (I live in Southern California, but I appreciate these in the early mornings)
- Xenons (once you've had them, you don't ever want to go back)

All the other options are preferences IMO. I have every package and while I do love all the features, I could have done without this and that if it came down to it. I do love the premium package with the panorama sunroof and the navigation.

Good luck with your purchase. I am sure you will LOVE your car, whichever way you decide to customize it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
Aww, come on, I ordered the HUD and am a little excited for it. Ok, agreed, never a situation where it is needed....
I just felt like it would be a distraction, and not only that, I have a house in Michigan with a half-mile long pebble driveway, and I don't want to have to spend 1,000 dollars on a windshield if it gets cracked.

The HUD only costs 1,300 dollars because the glass coating is so expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

-Sport Package
-Dynamic Handling Package

that's all
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

To me, it's not a must-have car. Everything about it is a bonus or improvement on a cheaper car. For must have, you can get by with a much cheaper car.
      03-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
To me, it's not a must-have car. Everything about it is a bonus or improvement on a cheaper car. For must have, you can get by with a much cheaper car.
Yes, I get that. I think that's precisely why I ask. I have never bought a BMW or anything even close to this...so all of it is an improvement and a decadence beyond anything I have ever owned. The base model is far superior in my mind, but not really the point.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
I have the HUD. Best money I ever spent on an option in a car. I'll never go back to a car without it.

I especially like how special navigation prompts show up inside it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, the bonus things I really dig are the power, upgraded stereo, comfort access, xenons. DHP is fun, but I'd be happy with a sport suspension (that's probably a must have for me). Just happier with the DHP. Could ditch the moonroof, but I do like it. For me, I couldn't handle not having he nav and the bigger screen.

Last edited by Nahoa; 03-28-2011 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 28i X3

okay, i have a toddler and a newborn. i got the following packages: convenience, premium, technology and cold weather. the convenience pkg was so that i would have the comfort access keyless entry and the power tailgate <think shopping trips with little ones>
premium pkg was b/c i wanted leather interior and that huge panoramic sunroof. so, the premium pkg was not a "must have" but rather a "really want". technology pkg with me is a must have--i get lost at the drop of a hat. also, the rear back up camera is a nice thing to have if you have kids and dogs that could potentially get in harm's way. finally the cold weather pkg was for the heated seats and steering wheel--what can i say, i'm a wuss.
ps-if i were you, i would not get leatherette. i know some have thought about it since they would have their dog/kids in the car. the leather in bmws is very durable. my previous bmw was a 325xi sedan--i hauled my 2 dogs (pre-kids) around in it all of the time. the leather looked gorgeous up until the day i sold it.
best of luck! you'll love this (hip) mommy-mobile!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well said.
      03-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh, I considered the HUD not to be necessary, but now anytime someone who has one posts, I cringe a little thinking maybe I shoulda gotten it . . .
      03-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgirl View Post
... you'll love this (hip) mommy-mobile!
First time ANY car I've owned has been referred to as a "mommy-mobile". I'm considering trading it in and it's only 7 weeks old.

I'm crushed. Think I'll go curl up in a corner somewhere and hope my voice doesn't go up half an octave.

Last edited by Lotus7; 03-27-2011 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #20
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 28i X3

well i guess i shouldn't have written that. the cool thing about this vehicle is that it can have so many personalities depending on the options/accessories chosen. i didn't get all of the sporty options and i'm sure that would change the "feel" of the car.

and Lotus, don't worry..you still have your LOTUS--never, ever to be mistaken for a mommy-mobile
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #21
maestroX2
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
The car is for me. My husband will drive it occasionally, but it's mine. I do have a toddler and a dog that will be with me
most of the time, so those are factors in some of the must haves. I just wasn't certain if there were any options that you couldn't live without...like for me, heated seats are a must! Just curious and wanted to see if there were many repeats.
toddler and dog. Convenience package IMHO, is a must.

power tailgate - kind nice to automatically open the tailgate for your dog to jump in. Dunno how big your dog is though.
cargo net - so your dog won't jump to passenger seat from Cargo area.
real manual window shade - good for kiddo in the rear from the sun.

I order for my wife and we got Premium, Tech and Convenience Packages.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #22
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
oops my bad, I did not notice the "mrs" part in your name. So with what you mentioned. I would say base 28i + convenience package (comfortaccess + powertailgate + window shade + cargo sheild), cold weather package (heated front and rear seats and steering wheel), xenons, leather seats (if you want the moon roof then go for premium bcos it comes with few other good stuff like autodimming interior and exterior mirrors), tech package (since navigation, rear+top view camera, parking sensors) will be a good package set for you.

Also consider this point when deciding between 28 vs 35, extra power is not always bad, it will sometimes help you to get away from a bad spot in the road. You always do not need to use the extra power, but when you need it, having one will be a superb feel.
Appreciate 0