BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
View Poll Results: would you ever buy another black car
yes 26 42.62%
no 35 57.38%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

07-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Fantastic color when clean, but second job keeping it that way

Would you do it again or are you all done?
Absolutely! Nothing looks better than metallic black paint when it's clean. My last 5 cars have been black and I love it
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Absolutely not. Don't do it. Just don't do it. I hate it. From the side profile, it dwarfs any wheels you get because the black goes with the black plastic fenders and the black wheel wells and the black tires. All you're left with is some silver colored rim and the car looks like it's riding on stylish spare tires. It's so dirty all the time, too. And BMW recommends that you don't wax the car until 90 days of ownership while the paint cures, so any damage your paint takes in that time frame is almost irreversible.
I've never thought a black car looked like it was floating on stylish spare tires; even with black wheels you can tell where the car ends and the wheels begin, unless someone has incredibly blurry vision. Black is really no harder to keep clean than any other color that isn't the color of dirt. I've had black, white, silver, dark blue and red cars over the years and I would argue that white was the most high maintenance for me because of the contrast of dark substances on white paint. Bugs, road tar, etc are all going to really show on lighter colors. I haven't spent any more effort keeping my black cars clean than I did my cars of other colors. Additionally, almost every vendor puts a contrasting color under the primary color to make the top coat "pop". Many black cars have a silver undercoat, yellow has a green undercoat, and my white car had a black undercoat to add depth to the paint, so scratches and dings are the same across the color band as you'll always see the color underneath when you scratch the top coat of any color. I honestly believe that "black cars are harder to keep clean" is just one of those expressions that gets passed around so much that everyone hears it and believes it, without it really having any merit.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #25
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

I am about to order my second X3 and the new one probably wont be black as much as I loved this one:

BMW X3 by Washy82, on Flickr

Just not so sure that black shows the F25 at its best.
      07-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel4865
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Absolutely not. Don't do it. Just don't do it. I hate it. From the side profile, it dwarfs any wheels you get because the black goes with the black plastic fenders and the black wheel wells and the black tires. All you're left with is some silver colored rim and the car looks like it's riding on stylish spare tires. It's so dirty all the time, too. And BMW recommends that you don't wax the car until 90 days of ownership while the paint cures, so any damage your paint takes in that time frame is almost irreversible.
I've never thought a black car looked like it was floating on stylish spare tires; even with black wheels you can tell where the car ends and the wheels begin, unless someone has incredibly blurry vision. Black is really no harder to keep clean than any other color that isn't the color of dirt. I've had black, white, silver, dark blue and red cars over the years and I would argue that white was the most high maintenance for me because of the contrast of dark substances on white paint. Bugs, road tar, etc are all going to really show on lighter colors. I haven't spent any more effort keeping my black cars clean than I did my cars of other colors. Additionally, almost every vendor puts a contrasting color under the primary color to make the top coat "pop". Many black cars have a silver undercoat, yellow has a green undercoat, and my white car had a black undercoat to add depth to the paint, so scratches and dings are the same across the color band as you'll always see the color underneath when you scratch the top coat of any color. I honestly believe that "black cars are harder to keep clean" is just one of those expressions that gets passed around so much that everyone hears it and believes it, without it really having any merit.
Black cars are harder to keep clean AND streak free. I have so much hologramming and streakiness all over my black paint because ANY towel is too abrasive if ANY dust falls onto the car while towel drying. The one day that the car has that beautiful "wet look" is not worth the other six days when the car looks sloppy in the sun.
Appreciate 0