BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
beaminmaryland
Rep
Drives: X3

Sport Mode Mystery

2012 X3 28i. Recently related to a transfer case change, software was reloaded. I noticed (as has another poster) that an option in the IDrive 'settings' appeared that hadn't been there before.........."Sport Mode" which allows driver to select 'chassis + transmission' or can select either individually.
I asked the dealer service dept about this (a good service dept in my experience). I was concerned the presence of this new setting may indicate they had loaded the wrong software. After checking vehicles on their lot (all '13's I assume) they're under assumption that all X3's have the 'sport' button on the console near the 'traction' and the shifter.
My 2012 doesn't have a 'sport' selection button and 'sport mode' did not appear in Idrive settings originally. Leads me to believe that the new settings have zero effect since I can't select 'sport'.........or at least there's no such buttion my console near the shifter.

Question - - - - - on the 2012's was 'sport mode' an option or standard for all X3's?
In hopes that I haven't gone stupid!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

a option mine says the same and i dont have sport mode
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
BMWs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Same new menu appeared on my 2012 after an update. I figured out if you turn off DSC by pressing and holding button for 8+ secs, Sport mode appears on screen. And it really does tighten up steering which I like. I just wish we could select sport steering without turning off DSC. Anyone know of where to code this to make it default to sport steering every time?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Interesting.....I almost posted something like this a couple of months ago. When I first had the update done I notice the option for sports mode in the settings menu. I remember selecting it but I don't think anything took. So I basically blew it off; that it was for someone with sports mode. But a couple of months ago I was driving with my dad in the car, who is still a car and gadget nut at 80+ years old and was showing him the updates on the idrive. The sports selection showed up and I chose the chassis setting. Entering the next corner I swear the car was much tighter and had less body lean. The change seemed to be slight enough that I thought I might be smoking something. I've tried to test between the settings, but reproducing it is difficult.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive
Interesting.....I almost posted something like this a couple of months ago. When I first had the update done I notice the option for sports mode in the settings menu. I remember selecting it but I don't think anything took. So I basically blew it off; that it was for someone with sports mode. But a couple of months ago I was driving with my dad in the car, who is still a car and gadget nut at 80+ years old and was showing him the updates on the idrive. The sports selection showed up and I chose the chassis setting. Entering the next corner I swear the car was much tighter and had less body lean. The change seemed to be slight enough that I thought I might be smoking something. I've tried to test between the settings, but reproducing it is difficult.
The only two ways to make the car tighter in Sports mode is Dynamic Dampers or Variable Sports Steering.

The Dampers tighten the hardness and Sports Steering tightens the steering.

If you have both or one of them, you will feel the difference. Otherwise it's all in your mind.

It could of course be that it affects the transmission, but it would feel the same as putting the shiftlever in DS.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
MrPoorchawa
Poland
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 28i

I have F25 x28i with Electronic Dumper Control (223) and Variable Sports Steering (2VL).
Switching Comfort/Sport mode, we get two different cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

"Chassis" could also refer to traction control
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaminmaryland View Post
2012 X3 28i. Recently related to a transfer case change, software was reloaded. I noticed (as has another poster) that an option in the IDrive 'settings' appeared that hadn't been there before.........."Sport Mode" which allows driver to select 'chassis + transmission' or can select either individually.
I asked the dealer service dept about this (a good service dept in my experience). I was concerned the presence of this new setting may indicate they had loaded the wrong software. After checking vehicles on their lot (all '13's I assume) they're under assumption that all X3's have the 'sport' button on the console near the 'traction' and the shifter.
My 2012 doesn't have a 'sport' selection button and 'sport mode' did not appear in Idrive settings originally. Leads me to believe that the new settings have zero effect since I can't select 'sport'.........or at least there's no such buttion my console near the shifter.

Question - - - - - on the 2012's was 'sport mode' an option or standard for all X3's?
In hopes that I haven't gone stupid!
Yes, I have the same thing on my X3 28i, after a software update occured about 3 months ago. My dealer told me that suspension will not change, but the gear ratio/and the way the vehicle shifts will be more agressive - and will not go into the 7th gear when in sport mode. The settings on your idrive software have no effect, you are correct.