BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Break wear indicator

Hey, just put my x3 in for first oil change at 14000 miles. When the dealer scanned the key he said it was also showing rear brake pad replacement required in 700 miles time !

Told him I found this really strange as my last Audi had done 45000 when I sold it and still had the original pads. He said he would ask techs to check it out

Anyone else had this warning coming up on the vehicle diagnostics in idrive ?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

If it is correct then it is because of the active cruise control. All cars with active cruise control experience accelerated rear brake usage because the rear brakes are used to prevent the vehicle from going over the set speed, such as when traveling down a hill with the cruise on. The rear brakes will be applied to maintain the correct speed instead of gradually creeping over which is the case with non-active cruise control. And 15,000 km's is about right and consistent with other cars such as the VW Passat etc with that feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

These X3s use a break force distribution that really drags the rear brakes. It makes the brakes much more rear biased in easy braking situations. When you hit it hard you'll still send most braking power to the front but in normal driving it seems to rely more on the rear brakes versus the fronts.
Appreciate 0