BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Steering knocking and MOT advisory

Hi guys,

Wife's F25 has had an issue with the steering making a knocking noise for a little while now and I just haven't got around to looking at it yet. It had its MOT a few days ago and has passed with advisory:

Offside Play in steering rack inner joint(s) excessive and knocking

I'm not totally clueless when it comes to doing work myself and I'm fine with basic stuff like oil changes, brakes etc and I've helped a friend change shocks and springs on his car, but I've never really done any suspension stuff before.

My question is, what is this likely to be, how difficult is it to DIY on the driveway and if I went to a garage how much would you expect it to cost? I know that an alignment would be needed after. I'm assuming it's quite likely to be the tie rod after having had a look at RealOEM: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_1863 I'm hoping it's that rather than the rack anyway.

Any thoughts appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Install the "Repair kit Thrust piece for electronic power steering part #32106891974". It's a redesigned part made with higher quality and takes <1 hour to install.
Appreciate 1
bradsm87594.50
      08-29-2023, 06:00 PM   #3
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Yep thrust piece repair kit helped a lot for me. It didn't completely eliminate it because the rack is more worn at the straight ahead position than it is near the extremes so often the final adjustment is a compromise between tight feeling steering near the extremes and rattling at the straight ahead position.
Appreciate 0