BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
llangston1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1999 323is

Replacing a Xenon headlight bulb

Does anyone know how to replace a xenon headlight bulb on a 2007 X3. My passenger light is bad and although I can open up the back of the headlight assembly to get access to the bulb but I can' t figure out how to release the thin wire clip that holds the bulb to the headlight frame. Its hard to see any catch or latches that need to be opened. Her are some pictures I took in the blind with my phone. As you can see the wire clip start in the big loop at the bottom, crosses across tieback of the silver ignitor box and then runs to the side and up and over the top of the bulb somewhere. Do i have to remove the headlight to get enough access to release the clip? These stupid bulbs cost $99 at the local parts stores which is ridiculous for a light bulb. the pictures are all rotated 90 deg clockwise from the way they are located in the car. In the last 2 pics you can see the wire pass throughout a C or U bracket at the upper corner before it bends toward the front of the car up under the front cross bar. That U piece prevents you from just pushing or rotating the wire out of the way. I appear to release up at the top and then swing down on those large wire loops on the bottom corners. I just can't see any sort of latch and the only way you can even see it is by using a mirror.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I think you'll find that if you push down on the looped end of the wires, then push sideways, it will release. The steel clip is spring wire, and should bend some.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
X5autostart
Rep
Drives: X5

Does anyone know if I can purchase halo headlights to replace the stock headlights on my 2007 X3
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
prj57
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 3.0d LCI

Hi, I had to recently (3 days ago) replace a passenger side D1S xenon bulb on my 2007 X3 LCI and was a bit intimidated by the tight spaces under the hood. No worries, its a 5-10 min job (helps if you have small hands). I had to take out the washer fluid container to access the back of the light.

The washer fluid tank is held in place by a single bolt (upper part, behind the cap). It was a 10 wrench if I remember right. Undo the bolt, unclip the big rubber pipe which runs between the tank and radiator, the tank is pulled straight up, careful not to pull too hard.

Without disconnecting anything, put it slightly to the side/top of the engine and access the back of the headlight. From there is pretty straight forward. Disconnect "scart" looking cable to headlight (I like to not have power supply available when working on high voltage systems).

Looking at your pics, the metal clip holding the bulb unplugs on the bottom - spring like thing, when disconnected opens to the sides, take out bulb carefully and unplug it from the connector. Change it, check to see if lights are operational after refitting the cables. If all is OK, assemble in reverse procedure. When attaching the washer tank, carefully check not to clip or break any cables/piping running underneath it.

Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0