BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

M40i owners: questions on suspension, exhaust note and engine.

Hi
Am looking to get this in the new X3/4, was wondering from the current owners
1) What's the real world consumption in highway and city
2) Anyone know reliability of this engine
3) Is the exhaust note fake or real and does the loudness really that noticeable from eco- sport+
4) How much firmer is the suspension than the regular sports suspension

Last edited by Bimar; 07-27-2017 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Hi
Am looking to get this in the new X3/4, was wondering from the current owners
1) What's the real world consumption in highway and city
2) Anyone know reliability of this engine
3) Is the exhaust note fake or real and does the loudness really that noticeable from eco- sport+
4) How much firmer is the suspension than the regular sports suspension
1) 19 MPG City - 25 MPG Highway. Pretty close to the sticker numbers, I believe.
2) only 10K miles on mine - but rock solid so far. Perhaps check the M2 forum since we share the same engine.
3) no fake exhaust sound on the X4 M40i - that module simply doesn't exist on this car. No change in the sound between the modes with the exception that you will hear some "burps" in the Sport modes when getting off the gas.
4) I have no experience with the "regular sports suspension" - whatever that is. But the X4 M40i suspension is hard - no doubt about it. In some ways, it feels a bit like a pickup truck suspension. Body roll is non-existent and it is absolutely glued to the road.

This car is wickedly fast, great brakes and a nice sporty sound. Of course your MPG will vary wildly since there are so many ways (a.k.a. modes) to drive this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
1) 19 MPG City - 25 MPG Highway. Pretty close to the sticker numbers, I believe.
2) only 10K miles on mine - but rock solid so far. Perhaps check the M2 forum since we share the same engine.
3) no fake exhaust sound on the X4 M40i - that module simply doesn't exist on this car. No change in the sound between the modes with the exception that you will hear some "burps" in the Sport modes when getting off the gas.
4) I have no experience with the "regular sports suspension" - whatever that is. But the X4 M40i suspension is hard - no doubt about it. In some ways, it feels a bit like a pickup truck suspension. Body roll is non-existent and it is absolutely glued to the road.

This car is wickedly fast, great brakes and a nice sporty sound. Of course your MPG will vary wildly since there are so many ways (a.k.a. modes) to drive this car.
Thanks for the feedback, my X4 has sports suspension its firm but not pickup firm so looks like the M40i is even firmer. I wish that engine was available in a less harsh suspension for the new line up is 2liter or the M40i in the X3.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, my X4 has sports suspension its firm but not pickup firm so looks like the M40i is even firmer. I wish that engine was available in a less harsh suspension for the new line up is 2liter or the M40i in the X3.
The X4 M40i comes with a different engine than the X3 M40i. The X3 gets the new B58 whereas the X4 uses the N55 engine. The performance of the two engines is quite similar, however.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The X4 M40i comes with a different engine than the X3 M40i. The X3 gets the new B58 whereas the X4 uses the N55 engine. The performance of the two engines is quite similar, however.
Thanks my deduction to close this off, even with dampers the ride will be very firm and exacerbated by rough roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
mgrecco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X4 M40i

I would say it ranges from 16 when using it in sport mode to 30+ in eco.... comfort mode is about 23 mpg... No power in eco... good power in comfort mode and excellent power in sport mode. I only have 2,000 miles on my 2018 X4 M40i, no problems. I do notice a suspension change when going from comfort to sport, definitely more bounce in sport and the rumbling noise when letting off the gas in sport mode which isn't present in comfort mode. I don't really use eco. Anyway, so far I love this car!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrecco View Post
I would say it ranges from 16 when using it in sport mode to 30+ in eco.... comfort mode is about 23 mpg... No power in eco... good power in comfort mode and excellent power in sport mode. I only have 2,000 miles on my 2018 X4 M40i, no problems. I do notice a suspension change when going from comfort to sport, definitely more bounce in sport and the rumbling noise when letting off the gas in sport mode which isn't present in comfort mode. I don't really use eco. Anyway, so far I love this car!
That's a pretty wide gap in consumption from Eco and Sport. Do you have the adaptive dampers to make it less hard of a suspension?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
mgrecco
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrecco View Post
That's a pretty wide gap in consumption from Eco and Sport. Do you have the adaptive dampers to make it less hard of a suspension?
Here is a picture from my efficient dynamics display this morning on the way to work. This morning I was driving in Eco and comfort, yesterday was in Sport. Even though the legend shows that sport should show in red, it doesn't, it actually shows in a very dark gray/black color. From the screen, you will see worst case scenario is sport 16.8 miles per gallon and best case scenario put it at about 40 miles per gallon. Not sure how accurate it all is.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
mgrecco
United_States
Rep

Efficient Dynamics Image

Having trouble uploading the picture from my iPad and iPhone.. trying it now from my PC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
NewBimmerMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi Msport

Agree with all answers posted however I will mention that while while the suspension is firm it is not harsh and actually IMO more comfortable than my prior 3 series. Might have something to do with the fact that I opted for 20" wheel upgrade which comes with performance NON-run flat tires. I do mostly city driving and I find the suspension to be quite comfortable in Comfort Mode.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBimmerMD View Post
Agree with all answers posted however I will mention that while while the suspension is firm it is not harsh and actually IMO more comfortable than my prior 3 series. Might have something to do with the fact that I opted for 20" wheel upgrade which comes with performance NON-run flat tires. I do mostly city driving and I find the suspension to be quite comfortable in Comfort Mode.
interesting you can get non runflats on 20s from the BMW factory
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBimmerMD View Post
So you feel a difference in the suspension between Comfort and the Sport modes?

See, this is my problem; for the life of me, I feel no difference in the suspension between the modes. However, I do feel a significant difference in the steering between the modes.

I'd love a casual get-together in SoCal with another X4 M40i owner to compare ride quality (suspension feels). Anyone?
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #13
Mightymaus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Black leather X4 M40i

Garage List
2012 X6 M  [0.00]
Currently driving an X4 M40i.

For what I'm getting in performance, I wouldn't trade 10 gals of fuel millage for. This is an M class BMW.

The performance I get in comfort mode, and my driving style deems me not to need sports mode. The horsepower is already there in comfort mode if I need it.

Of course sports mode and stop and go traffic will consume more fuel. Depends on your driving style.

When I feel like having a lot of extra fun while driving. Putting her in sports mode is sheer driving pleasure. It's like a ride at an amusement park you never want to end. The sound of the exhaust and the power of that motor just makes me smile.

It is a joy to drive no matter what circumstance I'm in. Stop and go, highway...etc.

Personally, I absolutely Love the looks, the feel and the sensation of driving her down the road.

I hope your X4 M40i does the same for you. I never thought I be infatuated with a car like this and I've had some nice ones.

I work about 30 mins away. she consumes about 1/4 of a tank in a 7 day week driving that distance. In comfort mode. Hope this helps...

Last edited by Mightymaus; 08-15-2017 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #14
mgrecco
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you feel a difference in the suspension between Comfort and the Sport modes?

See, this is my problem; for the life of me, I feel no difference in the suspension between the modes. However, I do feel a significant difference in the steering between the modes.

I'd love a casual get-together in SoCal with another X4 M40i owner to compare ride quality (suspension feels). Anyone?

YES, for sure feel a difference in the suspension in Comfort vs. Sport as well as the steering. It's a lot more bouncy in sport mode. It's pretty funny how much it burps in Sport Mode when stopping, everyone around surely hears it. An OC X4 get together would be fun. I was on the freeway today with a Black X4 that looked like mine today, though it wasn't an M40i like mine (hehe). I was like WOW, what an awesome car.. now I know what mine looks like going down the freeway!
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
mgrecco
United_States
Rep

M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymaus View Post
Currently driving an X4 M40i.

For what I'm getting in performance, I wouldn't trade 10 gals of fuel millage for. This is an M class BMW.

The performance I get in comfort mode, and my driving style deems me not to need sports mode. The horsepower is already there in comfort mode if I need it.

Of course sports mode and stop and go traffic will consume more fuel. Depends on your driving style.

When I feel like having a lot of extra fun while driving. Putting her in sports mode is sheer driving pleasure. It's like a ride at an amusement park you never want to end. The sound of the exhaust and the power of that motor just makes me smile.

It is a joy to drive no matter what circumstance I'm in. Stop and go, highway...etc.

Personally, I absolutely Love the looks, the feel and the sensation of driving her down the road.

I hope your X4 M40i does the same for you. I never thought I be infatuated with a car like this and I've had some nice ones.

I work about 30 mins away. she consumes about 1/4 of a tank in a 7 day week driving that distance. In comfort mode. Hope this helps...
I'm with you 100%, I really enjoy my M40i. I've always been into cars, use to drive them to auctions for my father many, many years ago when he was a car salesman, so I have driven quite a few. My favorites were my 1994 Mustang Cobra Pacecar, Saleen Supercharged S281 and then the BMW 428i convertible that BMW bought back. Each time my 428i was in the shop with BMW trying to fix the squeak in the convertible, I drove a different loaner so I have driven most models of BMW as a loaner. Hands down, this X4 M40i is the most amazing of the bunch. I leased her for 3 years and I'm already worried the 3 years will go by too fast and I'll have to figure out another car to lease... I'm thinking I'll end up in the same thing.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #16
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I picked up a 17' X4 M40i on Tuesday and I can already tell you there is definitely a difference in suspension in sport mode as well as the exhaust note is much more intense WOT. While idle the note is just slightly different, but certainly there. If not really listening or in an area with a decent amount of ambient noise it would not be noticeable. I agree ride is firm but definitely not harsh! All around loving the car and can't wait to put more miles on to really get to know her! You won't be disappointed if you get one of these amazing vehicles!
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
mgrecco22.00
      09-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #17
mgrecco
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Transporter View Post
I picked up a 17' X4 M40i on Tuesday and I can already tell you there is definitely a difference in suspension in sport mode as well as the exhaust note is much more intense WOT. While idle the note is just slightly different, but certainly there. If not really listening or in an area with a decent amount of ambient noise it would not be noticeable. I agree ride is firm but definitely not harsh! All around loving the car and can't wait to put more miles on to really get to know her! You won't be disappointed if you get one of these amazing vehicles!
Love my 2018, just hit 2500 miles in her... couldn't be happier with this car!
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      09-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #18
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
23850 miles on mine, owner since 3/10/16 still love it more than any other car i've owned

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 04:28 AM   #19
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

Owner of a brand new M40i since wednesday.
Engine noice is fantastic! certainly when you start your car early in the morning and all is still quiet, makes you smile, always
Ride is a bit harsher, but certainly ok
consumption I can not tell yet, testing the car out now, so I am at 14l/100km, but you get something in return!
FSociety3812.50
      09-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
Owner of a brand new M40i since wednesday.
Engine noice is fantastic! certainly when you start your car early in the morning and all is still quiet, makes you smile, always
Ride is a bit harsher, but certainly ok
consumption I can not tell yet, testing the car out now, so I am at 14l/100km, but you get something in return!
Congrats, interested to hear your thoughts from the diesel you had
Appreciate 0