BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #111
houseandtechno
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 528i

How soon can tow our broken engine dead weight cars to the dealership?

Does anybody know if we can start bringing them in now? Or do we have to painfully wait till next year?

What can I do in the mean time insurance wise? Will Statefarm pay for my car rental expenses for extended periods of time?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #112
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 (N20)

why not call your local BMW dealership and ask, stating you know about the law suit and the issue with your car ?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #113
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseandtechno View Post
Does anybody know if we can start bringing them in now? Or do we have to painfully wait till next year?

What can I do in the mean time insurance wise? Will Statefarm pay for my car rental expenses for extended periods of time?
You have your own contract with State Farm and what it is required to do has nothing to do with a lawsuit. Your contract most likely says 30 days. But more importantly is whether your insurance is required to pay for a rental car in this situation at all. Probably not. A failed engine is not a covered loss like an accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #114
Taoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 n20

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseandtechno View Post

i can imagine the service advisors saying " the lawsuit hasn't come to a conclusion yet, so you will need to pay out of pocket".. but don't take my word for it..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #115
Volkom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuta View Post
Thank you for the help @383vett ! Looks like I'm going to do an engine replacement but I do have one more question. Do you think there will be any other damage to different components during the timing chain issue? I'm wondering if I have high chance to get the car back on road by just replacing the engine.

Thank you!
If you lost the oil pump chain like I did a month ago, you will have oil starvation issues and possibly a bad turbo as a result. You can verify this when the engine is out and the turbo off. You can always just replace the CHRA instead of the entire turbo housing, which ends up being just a few hundred instead of like 1500 for a mitsubishi oem replacement.
Besides that, the trans is isolated from the engine via the torque converter so not really much else could be broken mechanically if you're already removing the engine due to failure.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #116
Taoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 n20

so are we all supposed to just wait for february 16th to figure out what to do with our cars? What options are available?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #117
ubviswanath
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoster View Post
so are we all supposed to just wait for february 16th to figure out what to do with our cars? What options are available?
Not to be a prick, but your question is annoying. Can you please think of an option than ask and be told? Not just this case, but for everything in life, suggest a viable solution. Do you want to file a lawsuit, find an attorney who is willing to take this up and let us know. Most of us are waiting for the settlement or a trial. It is already in court. If you own a BMW, I am pretty sure you can fix it out of pocket. We are waiting for it to be in our favor. One option I have thought of is to sell it now for $8000 and never buy another BMW or anything in this luxury segment, since a top of the line Toyota Camry or Honda Accord has all the bells and whistles these shitty cars have, but the great thing is, if it breaksdown, the repairs are not 10x and any repairshop can do it, sometimes we can fix it ourselves. I could not even remove the cabin air filter easily without needing a special screwdriver, since it had some weird head, so had to order one. In spite of that, one screw was so hard to reach.

BMW are only to boost ones ego, since we cannot exceed the speed limits and risk being ticketed. This is like a Hollywood actress for a girlfriend, needs a non-stop attention.

If not this timing chain, there is hoards of things that can go wrong with this auto. In my case, the idiots who did the timing chain replacement wrecked the PCV valve diaphragm, the AC blower fan as well as the float in the coolant tank. Instead of fixing it when they had the whole engine apart, they put it back together as is. Now the suckers want another $3000 for the three pieces of junk.

By the way, the PCV valve cap is a lot easy replacement based on the type that is on your car year/model. Check out www.rockautoparts.com for exact make, year and model. If the cap of PCV has little clips on the side, it takes 5 minutes to replace with only a screwdriver and (maybe some tough grease to prevent air getting sucked in from outside.)

Last edited by ubviswanath; 09-22-2020 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #118
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

Dude don’t be a troll this site is to help people. If you don’t like his post move on.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma810.50
      09-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #119
ubviswanath
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30lover318i View Post
Dude don’t be a troll this site is to help people. If you don’t like his post move on.
You are right, sorry, got a little carried away with the same annoying question "just wait?" over and over with little help. Yes, either wait or do something that helps all of us. I did suggest how to fix the PCV diaphragm in 5 minutes for $30 than the $1700 per BMW service center.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #120
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoster View Post
Unfortunately it seems like you can’t do much until BMW admits defeat. So for example Mercedes has a recall on the w211 fuel pumps, we had a customer with a failed pump... we replaced her fuel pump, 6 months later she got a letter telling her there is a recall on her pump. She went to Mercedes and they re funded her the entire amount for the job we did and then replaced the pump and fuel tank.

Normally what happens is when BMW admits these engines are defective they send out a letter asking the owner to make an appointment to replace the defective parts. Basically what they did with the takata air bag recall.

Your question was completely logical to ask.. I’m not sure about you but I’m not a lawyer I’d ask the same question you did if I were in your shoes so don’t let someone else who clearly is upset he bought a bmw keep you from asking questions, that’s what these web sites are for we all work together to help one another
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #121
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubviswanath View Post
You are right, sorry, got a little carried away with the same annoying question "just wait?" over and over with little help. Yes, either wait or do something that helps all of us. I did suggest how to fix the PCV diaphragm in 5 minutes for $30 than the $1700 per BMW service center.
Understandable man we all get caught up but we all need to work together. I don’t even have an n20 and I value the info on this thread. Just take it easy some people have a harder time understanding stuff and need advice.

Let’s hope bmw finally takes responsibility because this isn’t the first time they made awful guide components “cough cough m62” hahah
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #122
tuta
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

hi guys , I have a quick question...

I have my fav car shop replaced my 2013 N20 engine with another N20 from 2015 donor at 50k and today I went to check the it. I opened the oil cap and tried to look inside the new engine expecting a white timing chain guide (supposed to be the upgraded one) and noticed it is also orange color too.

Am I missing something here ? Does white upgraded timing chain guide changes color over the time with oil or did I also get another engine with older problematic timing chain? I thought BMW changed the timing chain kit on n20 engines after 2014.

I hope he didn't lie to me and it changes color over the time so I am trying to make sure I got what I have been promised.

Thank you for the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #123
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Quote:
hi guys , I have a quick question...

I have my fav car shop replaced my 2013 N20 engine with another N20 from 2015 donor at 50k and today I went to check the it. I opened the oil cap and tried to look inside the new engine expecting a white timing chain guide (supposed to be the upgraded one) and noticed it is also orange color too.

Am I missing something here ? Does white upgraded timing chain guide changes color over the time with oil or did I also get another engine with older problematic timing chain? I thought BMW changed the timing chain kit on n20 engines after 2014.

I hope he didn't lie to me and it changes color over the time so I am trying to make sure I got what I have been promised.

Thank you for the help!
The guides are white when they are brand new, over time it will have discoloration from engine oil. If the engine is produced after 01/2015 it will definitely have updated guides and chain, if not there could still be a chance that engine uses old guide and chain. To see if your replacement engine still have timing chain issue listen for whining noise around 3000RPM.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #124
tuta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
The guides are white when they are brand new, over time it will have discoloration from engine oil. If the engine is produced after 01/2015 it will definitely have updated guides and chain, if not there could still be a chance that engine uses old guide and chain. To see if your replacement engine still have timing chain issue listen for whining noise around 3000RPM.

Thank you sir! Just to confirm, all timing chains are white at the beginning ? Including the original problematic one as well? Unfortuantly I don't have any way to confirm if this engine is really a 2015 other then believing that the shop is telling the truth
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #125
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Quote:
Thank you sir! Just to confirm, all timing chains are white at the beginning ? Including the original problematic one as well? Unfortuantly I don't have any way to confirm if this engine is really a 2015 other then believing that the shop is telling the truth
Yep that's correct all guides are white when they are brand new.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #126
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Isn't there an engine number cast or stamped on the block somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:44 PM   #127
gkimura
Registered
Rep

Timing chain proposed settlement order.

Here is a proposed settlement order form the plaintiff to the judge. It is likely that the judge will approve it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 119116326385.pdf (356.5 KB, 1834 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #128
WPark X4
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White X4

Summary ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkimura View Post
Here is a proposed settlement order form the plaintiff to the judge. It is likely that the judge will approve it.
I pulled up the document and read through it. Lots of legal jargon, etc.. Would it be possible for a lawyer to summarize for the rest of us ? Thanks in advance 😎.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #129
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Just got a letter in the mail for this class action. It will cover you if your chain failed and you had it repaired at BMW before 70k miles and 7 years.
Reimburse you up to 3k for repairs or 7.5k for engine replacement at an independent shop.
If the chain hasn't failed yet, the warranty is extended to 8 years and 100k miles, but will only cover 100% if the failure is before 70k miles and 7 years.
No relief over 100k miles and 8 years.

I've been driving my 2015 x3 28i sparingly as I didn't know what the outcome of this lawsuit was going to be. This result helps those with failed timing chains but no preventative measures from BMW as a result.
BMW has not been defeated and are sticking to their extended warranties.

Was really hoping for a recall but guess we won't get one.
So I'm still stuck driving a ticking timebomb.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #130
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

I'm at 69K miles, but with a purchase date 8/2012, so no relief for me.

I was planning on getting a new car this year, but with Covid put it off, I'll start shopping after the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #131
Mendo2019
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 2.8

Quote:
I'm glad to see the lawsuit is coming to an end but I am out of luck, my engine blew up at 118k.

Did anyone repaired their existing engine by replacing timing chain assembly and possible replacing oil pump ? I don't want to take the risk of buying a used engine not knowing the full history.

My indie shop quoted 3k for rebuilding the timing chain and replacing with upgraded kit + 1500 for oil pump replacement if it is not working. I believe total cost won't be less then 5k at the end but it will worth to avoid buying a brand new car and loosing same money by just driving off of the dealer lot

Any thoughts ?
It really depends, my chain went at 140K miles and only damage done was 1 bent valve. Again, as below comment says, it depends and you won't know until you open it up. I took my head to the machine shop to be inspected and cleaned. He replaced one valve and gave it back as new $200 later. My timing and oil chain replacement was around $1000 total, but i did the work myself right in the driveway. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #132
dealpapa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3

oh my god. Your guys still here? I already sold my x3 one year ago because of this problem. I got this notification too. mb glc is much better than x3.

lol
Appreciate 0