BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Auto Stop/Start --- Stop and go traffic

Is there a computer that detects stop and go traffic? My first few days with car, when I'm driving in the city, it takes about 3-4 close stops before the car realizes I'm in stop and go traffic. Seems kinda dumb...

I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to trick the car into disabling the auto stop/start feature (without actually disabling the feature via the button press)

So yesterday, I tried to roll the car to a crawl, gently press on the brakes and then ease on it for half a second before fully pressing on them to come to a full stop. With that, the stop/start feature disabled... Engine temp was optimal and wheels were straight at the time. There didn't seem to be any other reasons to account for it being disabled.

Tried the same again today, it didn't work.

I know most people have it disabled, but any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:12 AM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

There are multiple threads on Stop/Start already on here.
As you said, if you lightly brake to a stop, stop/start will not kick in. While stationary just press the brake a little harder and the stop/start kicks in.
Stop/Start only works when the outside temp is high enough (Above 3C?) and the engine is warm + there seems to be a minimum time gap between stop/starts i.e. if you restart the engine by taking your foot off the brake the car will not immediately stop/start. So if you are in very slow traffic the stop/start only seems to work intermittently because of this timer.

You can code the car so it 'remembers' the last setting on the Stop/Start button. So you permanently disable the feature.
The X3 really needs a Hybrid engine (or bicycle pedals ) for stop/start traffic. Use the battery for very slow traffic, engine kicks in when you need speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Stop/start seems like marmite - you love it or hate it.
I get on with it well, but I dont spend a lot of time in traffic as many do. - so when it is most useful it is also most frustrating?
Also it seems it monitors a lot of conditions so in winter it is less "prevalent".
I just go with it and let it do its thing.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:47 AM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Stop/start seems like marmite - you love it or hate it.
I get on with it well, but I dont spend a lot of time in traffic as many do. - so when it is most useful it is also most frustrating?
Also it seems it monitors a lot of conditions so in winter it is less "prevalent".
I just go with it and let it do its thing.
In heavy stop start traffic, if standing still for quite a while I like to have stop-start operating. However, it only works for a short period before disabling itself when the set limit of stored battery charge depletes.

Generally I have a subconscious habit of pressing the disable button immediately after pressing the start button. It really would be nice to have the option of disabling it through the idrive, but then BMW wouldn't be able to quote the C02 figures that they do!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
In heavy stop start traffic, if standing still for quite a while I like to have stop-start operating. However, it only works for a short period before disabling itself when the set limit of stored battery charge depletes.

Generally I have a subconscious habit of pressing the disable button immediately after pressing the start button. It really would be nice to have the option of disabling it through the idrive, but then BMW wouldn't be able to quote the C02 figures that they do!
As per the thread you can get the X3 coded so it remembers the stop/start button setting between uses. Some on the forum have said the dealer will code it FOC, others have said the dealer refused, might be country dependant. Alternatively code it yourself if you have the technical ability. See the coding thread for details.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Depends on model year. I know on my 2015, the car remembers your stop/start setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
Depends on model year. I know on my 2015, the car remembers your stop/start setting.
It remembers, until it forgets.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
It remembers, until it forgets.
Yep!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
I think that's on US models - you have to code it on the UK cars

I've got ours set to always be 'off' at startup - but it will always turn on again if you select 'Eco Pro' mode

I think (but I'm not certain) that if you set it to 'Last Used State' (as the US cars are), the setting is part of the key memory functionality and thus should remember the last setting for each key used
      01-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

I just wish the Auto Start Stop had a configurable setting which I could set. If the car is idle for 10 secs activate Start Stop, something like that.
I don't think the system always does it right. It stops sometimes when not wanted and sometimes I just have to manually stop the car.
Appreciate 0