BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 N52

X3 Brakes fail at 25,000 kms

Fellow owners, is this normal? I have a 2012 X3 with 25,000 kms. I recently had my brakes replaced by service because I complained the brakes were stuttering. $1500 to replace brake pads and rotors - ouch. (expensive considering the mileage )

Service manager says I do not drive the car enough and the rust on the rotors is causing the problem. He also said this is normal for BMWs because of the material of the rotors.

I have owned an Audi and Lexus and never had this problem. Wow brakes overhauled every 25k Kms !?! Any thoughts? Just wondering if this is normal since I paid the service bill already.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
5against8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80. 3 pedals.

There is a good discussion and poll here:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933224

A pad change-out at ~15000 mi is not typical, but possible. Changing rotors that early is odd, but I guess rust could be a cause with infrequent driving. I have a 2012 with 44k miles and haven't done any rotor service (I changed rear pads at 32k).

More importantly, how was this not covered under factory maintenance since you are under 4 years?
      12-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5against8 View Post
There is a good discussion and poll here:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933224

A pad change-out at ~15000 mi is not typical, but possible. Changing rotors that early is odd, but I guess rust could be a cause with infrequent driving. I have a 2012 with 44k miles and haven't done any rotor service (I changed rear pads at 32k).

More importantly, how was this not covered under factory maintenance since you are under 4 years?
because he is in Canada
rotors and brakes are not covered

OP, which dealership in GTA?
please do not tell me u agree with the service. get another opinion
also $1500 is too much for both front and rear
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

please help me understand this.. I've noticed a few owners, even in other posts, that paid for maintenance and repairs on their "still fairly new" BMW with low mileage. WTF! Am I missing something but aren't these things covered under BMW's free maintenance and warranty period?

I've had 3 BMWs in the past. Never kept them for longer than 5 years or past 50k miles but never paid a cent on any repairs or maintenance as long as I brought it in before they expired. Had rotors done, brake pads, electronics replacement, tailgate repair, moonroof repair, software updates, etc. Not one cent.

why are you paying $1500 for rotors and brake pads? Aren't you bringing them in for regular service? Is there a hidden fine print that I may have missed? or are they charging you because "officially" you failed to follow their regular maintenance program? what's the technicality?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Rear pads seem to have an unreasonably low service interval clock, but if you look at them closely there's probably a fair bit of material left. On my dad's X3 the rear brake warning started going at about 25,000km and we dragged it out to 35k. He's now at 50 and it is telling me to do it in about 8000km.

If the brakes are stuttering you could have brake pad deposits on the rotors. Try this next time:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...eposit-removal
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Buzzman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F26 M40i

DRODNYC: That stuff is not covered in Canada... Having said that, I have 14K km (roughly 8.5K miles) and my rotor were rusted big time. I do not think this is normal at all. I mean the inner rotor (ventilation strips or whatever they are called) were almost crumbling and I had pulsations in the brake pedal under harder braking. I complained to my SA, they checked with BMW and I just had a full brake job done under warranty. They replace pads, rotors and other parts.
2007 E92 Space Grey - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
5against8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
because he is in Canada
Ahh, understood. Bummer.
      12-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
5against8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Looks like OP already paid and completed service
      12-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodnyc
please help me understand this.. I've noticed a few owners, even in other posts, that paid for maintenance and repairs on their "still fairly new" BMW with low mileage. WTF! Am I missing something but aren't these things covered under BMW's free maintenance and warranty period?

I've had 3 BMWs in the past. Never kept them for longer than 5 years or past 50k miles but never paid a cent on any repairs or maintenance as long as I brought it in before they expired. Had rotors done, brake pads, electronics replacement, tailgate repair, moonroof repair, software updates, etc. Not one cent.

why are you paying $1500 for rotors and brake pads? Aren't you bringing them in for regular service? Is there a hidden fine print that I may have missed? or are they charging you because "officially" you failed to follow their regular maintenance program? what's the technicality?
Brakes (pads and rotors) are covered in the US under the 4y/50k maintenance program. That's not the case in Canada- you're fine, there's no fine print.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #10
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
because he is in Canada

OP, which dealership in GTA?
Bmw Mississauga. I asked my service manager to provide me with the service manager's name but he ignored me. I would not recommend this dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkman View Post
Fellow owners, is this normal? I have a 2012 X3 with 25,000 kms. I recently had my brakes replaced by service because I complained the brakes were stuttering. $1500 to replace brake pads and rotors - ouch. (expensive considering the mileage )

Service manager says I do not drive the car enough and the rust on the rotors is causing the problem. He also said this is normal for BMWs because of the material of the rotors.

I have owned an Audi and Lexus and never had this problem. Wow brakes overhauled every 25k Kms !?! Any thoughts? Just wondering if this is normal since I paid the service bill already.
Having personal experience with rusting discs (rotors) what you were told is not abnormal at all to me.

I've had issues on my BMW cars, it is not age or mileage but the climate which accelerates the rust/corrosion, particularly when the car is not used every day. We have lots of moist days through the winter months in my environment, doesn't take many days for the discs to show corrosion.

Even with heavy braking before I get home, to dry and polish the faces, still hard to control.

My son had his E83 X3 brakes renewed for this very issue, brakes were in an awful condition, even though low mileage and not worn down.

BTW, it is not just BMW, his Audi A3 went the same, even though used most days, rust just worked in from the outer edge of the discs.

I see it on many vehicles around me, here in the Scottish Highlands. If the brakes start juddering, there is virtually no way out, but fit new parts.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Having personal experience with rusting discs (rotors) what you were told is not abnormal at all to me.

I've had issues on my BMW cars, it is not age or mileage but the climate which accelerates the rust/corrosion, particularly when the car is not used every day. We have lots of moist days through the winter months in my environment, doesn't take many days for the discs to show corrosion.

Even with heavy braking before I get home, to dry and polish the faces, still hard to control.

My son had his E83 X3 brakes renewed for this very issue, brakes were in an awful condition, even though low mileage and not worn down.

BTW, it is not just BMW, his Audi A3 went the same, even though used most days, rust just worked in from the outer edge of the discs.

I see it on many vehicles around me, here in the Scottish Highlands. If the brakes start juddering, there is virtually no way out, but fit new parts.

HighlandPete
For comparison, I have my 2008 Lexus IS parked right next to the newer BMW x3. I just replaced the rotors on the Lexus at 60kms. I open the hood and look at the BMW engine looks like it has aged... corrosion around a lot of the bolts and screws etc. The car looks great on outsideside except for the rusty rotors that were replaced. Interior looks good except for the door seals...they turned brown and started cracking. I also had those replaced. Maybe its me. I like the car but I am surprised.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

bummer about not being covered in Canada. sorry.

my wife's car sat most of the time in an outdoor parking lot. uses it a few times a year for local driving just to put some miles in it. at the end of the year the rotors and pads needed to be replaced because of inactivity. they immediately noticed, based on mileage, that the car was not being used.

parked and exposed to the elements will do this all of the time. it's a fight we have all of the time. (use it or lose it...)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
fx03ok
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkman

I own 2012 x3 28i , 75,000km and brakes still going strong. About the same mileage as you the computer indicated the pads were low. Turns out it was a computer glitch error. Pads were fine and computer re-programmed. Did you actually see your pads?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #15
wingless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Was it front or rear that had worn out?

The stability control and traction control cause the rear to wear out. The OP's Toronto snow could be a contributing factor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I spent $354 in parts from BMW for the rear.( pads, rotors,sensor)
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012988
      01-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #17
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx03ok View Post
I own 2012 x3 28i , 75,000km and brakes still going strong. About the same mileage as you the computer indicated the pads were low. Turns out it was a computer glitch error. Pads were fine and computer re-programmed. Did you actually see your pads?
I took the front and rear pads and rotors. They are sitting in my garage and they look fine to me but I only did a 10 minute inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #18
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Guys, I am wondering. Does the X3 has brake wear sensors that will let you know that it's time to change brake pads?
Or is it just determined via CBS computer?

In my previous mercedes, the brake sensors will let you know if the brake pads are running thin, there was no indication/estimate to change brake pads in xx km like in BMW's CBS computer (mine is older Mercedes, not sure how is it like in the current Mercedes)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #19
jeschiotz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
Guys, I am wondering. Does the X3 has brake wear sensors that will let you know that it's time to change brake pads?
Or is it just determined via CBS computer?

In my previous mercedes, the brake sensors will let you know if the brake pads are running thin, there was no indication/estimate to change brake pads in xx km like in BMW's CBS computer (mine is older Mercedes, not sure how is it like in the current Mercedes)
Here is what I found:
My car had 57k KM on the counter. It started to give me warnings on the rear pads. The thing is that it has a sensor build in so when pads wears of it will also at one point start to wear of that sensor. At this point a yellow warning will be shown. Before this point You can go into the menu yourself and reset the value for next service. Also,if you change the pads yourself the service could be resetted to new pads. When the yellow warning shows it wil start to count down. If you change the pads at this point,remember also changing the sensor(only 1, on the right wheel)If not, timer could not be reset as the sensor has a variable resistor giving the countdown.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #20
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 (2011), X5 F15 (2017)

Garage List
Those brakes on X3 F25 it's looks like big shame on BMW. Especially rear pads...
My friend with 100k on clock passed several services already.
Also many people here complain about very shorted lifetime.

I have this car few months so far, so initially I've make measurement of pads and disc thickness, wrote display values and watching it now...

To compare- my previous X3 E83-
Front pads replaced first time at 110tkm, discs still ok for next set (next approx.100tkm.)
Rear pads replaced first time at 140ktkm, discs also good condition for next set.
And I'm not slow rider!
What's wrong with new BMW???
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #21
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

It's the cruise control braking with rear brakes instead of front brakes (or instead braking at all) to avoid front-end of the car dip.

Also xDrive and Powercontrol uses rear brakes, but I guess that was with the E83 too?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #22
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We have just changed out rear pads (£280) after 30000miles. Front still indicating OK for 16000miles.
We use cruise control as we mostly do longer runs so that may be why we had to change them so "early?"
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0