BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Build your own X3 on Canadian website

I noticed that, as of today, you can now build your own 2011 X3 on the BMW.ca website.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

thanks for the heads-up!

base model starts at 41,900. lots of standard equipment, but auto dimming mirrors no longer standard, not available as individual option either (package only)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Great, thanks.
      11-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

It's interesting. I've selected Hi-Fi Sound system and it would cost me $6300 in options packages. Somebody is very smart in BMW.

But overall it is well equipped with features. Too bad that one i want most is not available...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah... the packaged option thing is starting to get pretty rediculous. I fear that BMW may begin to alienate many customers with that soon.

I priced out a 28i the way I'd take that car and it was about $45K. I did the 35i the way I'd take it and it was about 56$. Not bad for the money considering what you get higher in the line up for way more money.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I am thinking of getting one to replace my daily driver, however, am disappointed that we have to wait to January to see the 2011.

I hate to make such a purchase something I cannot touch and see

Any comments?

PS. I did see a spotted one (video I cannot relocate the clip)

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
yeah... the packaged option thing is starting to get pretty rediculous. I fear that BMW may begin to alienate many customers with that soon.

I priced out a 28i the way I'd take that car and it was about $45K. I did the 35i the way I'd take it and it was about 56$. Not bad for the money considering what you get higher in the line up for way more money.
I have to agree, perhaps a Mercedes LM 350 is in order

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

A fully loaded x35i is about $6.5K more than our US neighbor. That's about a 12% premium on a dollar that is close to par. At around $63,400 Canadian, there is a lot more competition with some nicer features out there.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 11-07-2010 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
A fully loaded x35i is about $6.5K more than our US neighbor. That's about a 12% premium on a dollar that is close to par. At around $63,400 Canadian, there is a lot more competition with some nicer features out there.
Hi Stephen,

When you say "there is a lot more competition with some nicer features out there"

What make and models do your refer to? Cadillac? Toyota?

I am in the market for a smaller SUV to replace the family car, guess I need to wait till February and check it out at the International Auto Show in Toronto.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Hi Stephen,

When you say "there is a lot more competition with some nicer features out there"

What make and models do your refer to? Cadillac? Toyota?

I am in the market for a smaller SUV to replace the family car, guess I need to wait till February and check it out at the International Auto Show in Toronto.
Well, I don't plan on purchasing for another year or so, but I like the technologies that Ford has come out with, with the Ford mytouch developed by Microsoft. I am a tech geek and like as much as I can get for the money.

On the luxury side I just looked at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC). New territory for me as I am not sure about reliability etc. but again I will keep an eye on it over the next year or so and follow the reviews. I have had serious problems with my last E39 540 as well, and history shows over the past 10 years that BMW and Mercedes have had serious reliability problems as well. I love my 335i and would love the same performance in a mid size suv but not sure the x3 is worth 64K. But there is comfort in the similarity between the X3 and the 335i. If it came loaded for under $50K the decision would be a lot easier.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland models come standard with Nappa leather, reclining rear seats, heated seats front and back, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats and comfort access. The NAV is a $500 upgrade and not a $2,000 upgrade. The Overland model has real wood, a leather dash, piping on the seats and leather on the doors. The Limited model can be had for about 45K to 50K and the Overland can be had for about 50K to 55K Canadian (still a lot more than in the US). The Overland also has air suspension and both models have select-terrain for different road and off road conditions. Again this is from a restructured Chrysler and I would give it a year or so to see if it is really as good as it looks.

I have never owned a North American auto, always Japanese until my last two cars which were a 98 540i and my 08 335i. As much as I love my 335i am struggling with the 33% to 50% premium in owning a German auto. I never thought the quality was there with North American autos but I like what I have been seeing coming from Ford the past year and if Chrysler can give the JGC a decent highway ride and reliability, as they have really upgraded the interior with this new model, then I will seriously look their way next year. It looks like Chrysler has targeted LandRover with the new Grand Cherokee.

Still undecided and still looking for the best value for my dollar.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 11-07-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I don't plan on purchasing for another year or so, but I like the technologies that Ford has come out with, with the Ford mytouch developed by Microsoft. I am a tech geek and like as much as I can get for the money.

On the luxury side I just looked at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC). New territory for me as I am not sure about reliability etc. but again I will keep an eye on it over the next year or so and follow the reviews. I have had serious problems with my last E39 540 as well, and history shows over the past 10 years that BMW and Mercedes have had serious reliability problems as well. I love my 335i and would love the same performance in a mid size suv but not sure the x3 is worth 64K. But there is comfort in the similarity between the X3 and the 335i. If it came loaded for under $50K the decision would be a lot easier.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland models come standard with Nappa leather, reclining rear seats, heated seats front and back, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats and comfort access. The NAV is a $500 upgrade and not a $2,000 upgrade. The Overland model has real wood, a leather dash, piping on the seats and leather on the doors. The Limited model can be had for about 45K to 50K and the Overland can be had for about 50K to 55K Canadian (still a lot more than in the US). The Overland also has air suspension and both models have select-terrain for different road and off road conditions. Again this is from a restructured Chrysler and I would give it a year or so to see if it is really as good as it looks.

I have never owned a North American auto, always Japanese until my last two cars which were a 98 540i and my 08 335i. As much as I love my 335i am struggling with the 33% to 50% premium in owning a German auto. I never thought the quality was there with North American autos but I like what I have been seeing coming from Ford the past year and if Chrysler can give the JGC a decent highway ride and reliability, as they have really upgraded the interior with this new model, then I will seriously look their way next year. It looks like Chrysler has targeted LandRover with the new Grand Cherokee.

Still undecided and still looking for the best value for my dollar.
Hi Steven,

Thank you so much for the excellent feedback it is very much appreciated. I guess having been born in Germany I tend to look at cars made in the old country so to speak. I've owned 7 German cars so far in my lifetime (5 BMW's and 2 Mercedes). I also owned a great deal of American cars among them 2 Jeeps (one Grand Cherokee and one Orvis Edition).

I have to agree with the quality statement of the German cars. I had for 10 months a 2008 Z4 3.0is and found the quality not to be what I saw in Germany when I visited Die Welt and factory in Germany comparing it to the 2009 Z4. I do realize that the 2008 Z4 30is is not in the same ball park as the 2009 Z4 35i, still the quality on the 2008 was not what I had expected.

As for the 2009 Z4 35i if I had researched it more before I purchased that car I would have not made the purchase. I say this in regard to the RFT and the HPFP issues. I'm almost convinced that the RFT have caused 2 rear wheel failures on my car on my US vacation trip this year (one was replaced by BMW under warranty the other I had to pay for ... long story I'm still trying to get my money back for that one). Seams that BMW is run by accountants that try to save a penny here and there and in the process they will loose some former BMW customers (that check and care like you and I).

So yes I do agree, quality on the German cars seams to be at a stand still and the American & Asian car manufactures seam to be catching up. So soon the German car manufactures will have a hard time to justify that high percentage differential in selling price.

Thanks again for the heads up, perhaps I need to wait a bit before I trade in my existing AWD family car

Thanks again for your so detailed input

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

where are you guys getting $64K from?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
where are you guys getting $64K from?
As stated a fully loaded x3 35i comes out to $63,400 before delivery charges so it would be around $64K. You can build one on the bmw.ca site for less. I fully optioned it to compare the US price vs Canadian price due to the difference in option packages. I could forgo some of the options but I wouldn't want a bare ass one. Still way over priced in my opinion when you see comfort access, lighting package and other items as an option, (in much pricer option packages), when they are standard on many lower priced vehicles. And I can't believe they have the balls to charge an additional $800 for any color other than black or white!
Attached Images

Last edited by Stephen5242; 11-07-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As stated a fully loaded x3 35i comes out to $63,400 before delivery charges so it would be around $64K. You can build one on the bmw.ca site for less. I fully optioned it to compare the US price vs Canadian price due to the difference in option packages. I could forgo some of the options but I wouldn't want a bare ass one. Still way over priced in my opinion when you see comfort access, lighting package and other items as an option, (in much pricer option packages), when they are standard on many lower priced vehicles. And I can't believe they have the balls to charge an additional $800 for any color other than black or white!
I see... sorry for not understanding.

Yeah, I feel like BMW Canada is nickle-and-diming us more and more. They seem to think they have no competition anymore... just look at the MSRP for a C63 AMG versus MSRP for the M3. While I would choose the M3 any day of the week, it still bothers me that they feel like they can charge $6,900 more MSRP for a competing car.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3

Interestingly, I just finished having an email conversation with my sales advisor in Calgary. We're looking at leasing an 35i in February or March of 2011. While the package pricing hasn't been announced, I was advised to budget $1000 +/- per month for a lease payment with zero down. Seems a little steep to me for a compact luxury cross over, wouldn't you all agree? I remember paying $539 per month for our '05 3.0i X3; three years ago when we leased it!

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advance
Asif
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #16
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryX3 View Post
Interestingly, I just finished having an email conversation with my sales advisor in Calgary. We're looking at leasing an 35i in February or March of 2011. While the package pricing hasn't been announced, I was advised to budget $1000 +/- per month for a lease payment with zero down. Seems a little steep to me for a compact luxury cross over, wouldn't you all agree? I remember paying $539 per month for our '05 3.0i X3; three years ago when we leased it!

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advance
Asif
sounds like they are really trying to cover their ass on the residual value this time around! They must still be feeling the sting that the leases ending in 2008/2009 left them with (i.e. the residuals on those leases were much higher than what the cars could be sold for used due to the meltdown)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep

Wow, thats a big jump. But as I mentioned earlier there is still roughly a 12% premium on buying the x3 in Canada over buying it in the US. Over the past few years, there have been some incentives offered rather than lowering the Canadian Prices. I would suspect that incentives will continue as I expect the Canadian dollar to remain at least at par for the next few years. However, the first to buy on a new model always pays top dollar for the privilege.

You may want to compare the lease rate with the X5 and see how much of a difference there is?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #18
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
You may want to compare the lease rate with the X5 and see how much of a difference there is?
My thoughts precisely. I could likely get into an N55 powered X5 for about the same or a little more...
Appreciate 0