BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
Feedback after one week

Just wanted to give some quick feedback after having my X3 35i for about a week. I did PCD then drove back to Atlanta, then drove to Jacksonville beach last weekend - so have driven about 1,100 miles so far. Have gotten 21.7 mpg.

Things I got and like:

Lines ... one of my favorite things about the car are the lines on the side - the way they swoop down in the front - sets it apart from any other SUV (or SAV). I've had five people come up to me on the street (at gas station, parking lot) to comment how cool it looks.

Wheels ... at first I was really regretting not getting the 309 wheels - but got to say I really like the 308s now.

Sport ... when you push the sport and sport+ buttons it totally changes the feel of the suspension & steering - got to love it. but it seems to revert to normal mode when you turn off the car - anyone know if you can set it so it stays in sport?

DHP ... I got this option but really can't comment on the difference because I haven't felt it without it - don't think there's a way to turn it off to compare. I do like the steering in parking lots - super easy.

Things I didn't get, but wish I had now (in order):

1. auto rear door opening/closing ... the back door is really heavy - my wife can barely close it on her own. regret not getting that. if you are on the fence about this one - order it - you won't be sorry

2. lumbar support ... on the 6 hour trip to Florida I totally noticed not having the lumbar support. and the sport seats kind of stick in to my sides in a slightly uncomfortable way. I'm 6' and 195 lbs but have to fully deflate the sport seats or else it kind of hurts my back. I think the lumbar would have helped this a lot

3. side window shades ... even though there are some funky looking hooks for the side shades I wish I had ordered them. instead I got $5 suction cup ones from Pep Boys

4. inside lighting package ... since I don't have this the inside of my X3 is pretty dark at night. I haven't seen one with the package but from reading about it sounds cool

5. storage upgrade - there are no nets without it - would have been nice

6. navigation & head up display ... would have been cool but was a little too expensive. they block out about 1/2 the Nav screen if you don't order it - kind of looks funky like that. instead I have to fumble with my iPhone Maps app. also, not sure about this one but if I set up two iPhones I have to manually tell it which phone is active - if I had gotten the technology package would they both be active all the time?

Overall I absolutely love this car - makes me excited to go out and drive every single time. But next time I'm going to suck it up and order ALL the packages so there's nothing I have to regret for the next three years of driving it till my lease is up.
Attached Images

Last edited by gregoryw1; 02-19-2011 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: adding pic
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

The new X3 seems to be going down a storm

Interesting to hear your comfort comments on the sports seats without lumbar support - I will have to wait and see

Hoep your keeping that oyster leather clean!

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I thought the Sports Seat option actually came with lumbar support. Obviously not the case...weird because I could've sworn the Sports Seat option in Canada had lumbar. I know it did with my Z4. Couldn't order the sport seat option with the 28i unfortunately.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks for the report, very helpful

I totally agree with you about the rear door. I initially chose the auto rear door for the coolness factor but on my first test drive I noticed how heavy that hatch is, also quite high. Making the auto hatch the first option I added. I'm quite surprised I have not seen it listed on many members option lists.

I also added what they call the extended storage in the uk which includes some nets in front passenger well and on rear of front seats, £150 is a bit steep for some nets but then it is BMW I guess..

Very pleased you seem so happy with your X3, April can't come quick enough for me!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewob View Post
April can't come quick enough for me!!
Mines due 14th April (have you got a due date? Ours are probably on the same shipment?)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I wish I had included both the electric boot close (but not the full convenience package with keyless entry as I'm not convinced about how secure this actually is) and the extended storage but it was too late for me to add either. I would probably recommend both.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
3. side window shades ... even though there are some funky looking hooks for the side shades I wish I had ordered them. instead I got $5 suction cup ones from Pep Boys
Thanks for the review, very useful!

I think other members had already convinced me to add read window blinds to my order, but you've confirmed that view.
I was hoping the privacy/sun protection glass would be enough - afaict you have rear privacy glass (calls sun protection glass in the uk) - but I guess for you that was not sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
the privacy/sun glass on mine is good for driving around town but on my long trip to florida with the sun coming up from the east the back seat passengers said it was just too bright for them - they had to hide behind pillows
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Not quite Florida sun for us Marmite

Gregory, they do a set of genuine bmw blinds as an accessory (includes trunk windows)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #10
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewob View Post
April can't come quick enough for me!!
Mines due 14th April (have you got a due date? Ours are probably on the same shipment?)
They may well be on the same ship, I can't see BMW having that many shipments per month.

I do however need to check as I was originally under the impression the car would be delivered to me April but perhaps I misunderstood. I guess it's a good few weeks from arriving in uk, getting to dealer, pre checks and delivery to me! Oh the wait goes on.....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
oh that's great, I'll check it out
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
oh that's great, I'll check it out
Description from BMW site

They call them - Sun Screens

"Quick and easy to attach to the rear side windows, luggage compartment windows and rear windscreen. When not in use, it can be stored in the bag supplied"

Stock photo of typical bmw below used on accessories page

Name:  sun screens.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  96.5 KB

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The above is an after market add-on? Cool. Any idea if they've offered those for the rear cargo are windows on other vehicles? Previous X3? X5? Checked the F25 accessory page and couldn't find anything there yet (US). I have the integrated ones, but wouldn't mind additional screening to the side cargo area windows, if possible.
      02-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
The above is an after market add-on?
Genuine BMW accessory http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/owner/acc...4ubmV0,00.html listed under interior options for F25 X3

Price indication at approx £385 pds sterling = approx $623 US Dollars (expensive)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0