BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2023, 09:30 PM   #1
MrSeabass
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Passender side vents no heat/sometimes freezing cold

Not sure how long this has been happening but just noticed this the other day when trying to defrost my windshield and the passenger side was not defrosting at all. 2013 35i, 187Mi/300Km on the odometer.

Basically, the passenger side is putting ot almost no heat, and even feels like the AC is on even though it is switched off in both manual and auto mode. Below are a few pics I took last night after warming the engine up and ensuring the coolant was a proper high temperature. I also ran all the flaps calibration options with ProTools and could see the flaps in the vents move in response (at least the center dash vents) and it made no difference. As shown in the photo, both zones were set to the maximum temperature in manual mode, and the rear vents were closed off.

These photos were taken last night, and if I were to set one side to 60 and the other to 84 and alternate every minute or so, the driver side temperature changed accurately, but the passenger side would *maybe* get slightly warmer but retirn to a cold state again. Driving ther car around with similar testing conditions gave similar results, but also the passenger side would very clearly run AC cooled air too. Moving the blend(?) wheel next to the hazard button also seems to only affect the driver side and makes minimal changes to the passneger side besides it blowing slightly colder. Also it *seems like* the air blowing from the passenger side is not as strong as the driver side but it's not definitive.

I'm stumped and not sure what else to check/reset/test to see what could cause this. I have seen slightly similar issues where the heater core could be clogged/bad (possible but would need a free day to remove hoses/pressure/flush) or the heat control valve is bad (does this model even *have* one?). Also there is no change is the oil/coolant temperatures and run normally, no visible coolant leaks, or any other tell tale signs of defective climate control systems.

Hopefully someone else has experienced this and can point me in the right direction, and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:01 AM   #2
MrSeabass
Private
Rep

Bumping because it's still a problem. Is thre something I can do to physically check/move all the vent vanes without ripping apart my entire car? To be **very** clear, it's not that the passenger vents are a lower temp than the driver side, it's that they are not blowing any hot air whatsoerver.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:47 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Use ista+ to operate the hvac flaps and see if it has any errors.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:05 PM   #4
MrSeabass
Private
Rep

I have ProTool and will try again tomorrow/pull some codes if there are any. Currently don't have a convenient way to use ITSA+
Appreciate 0