BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #1
impudence
Rep
Drives: x3

Constant alarm sound from hatch

Somebody please help me before I go crazy!! I've got a 2015 X3. The rear hatch suddenly stopped working. When you press the key fob or button in the car it releases the latch but doesn't open. At the same time a horrific alarm sound plays non stop while the car is on. It is coming from the rear of the car, possibly under the headliner in the hatch area. I can't get the sound to stop, it plays even when the car is off until the car completely powers down after ten minutes.

I saw a thread about an X5 that had a similar sounding problem. It turned out water was not draining out and had gotten the circuit board for the trunk wet. Unfortunately his instructions to repair do not apply to the X3.

Anyone have any ideas of how to address this? I suspect pulling the fuse for the hatch would stop the sound but have no idea which fuse to pull.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #2
TJLH
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 late 2014

Thumbs up tail gate alarm fixed

Hi, this happened to me on 3 December too. I found the control board was lying in water, which activated the alarm. The entire loading bay floor of the X3 2014 was flooded with around 1-2 inches of water, from rain getting in somewhere. The control board is housed on the LHS of the tailgate floor. You access this by opening 2 coin-turn fasteners, housed under the main loading bay floor panel.

The control board is housed in a white box about the size of a small paperback book. It sits in a polystyrene black coloured tray that fills with water, and knocks out the electronics. Remove the white box by disconnecting the three wiring plugs, one coloured white and two black, and gently pull it out. Dry it after shaking out the water. Use a hot air hand dryer or hair dryer. Empty the poly housing. Refit the white box and wiring plug connecters. It should now work again.
What a relief from that awful alarm after 30 miles of it blasting away.
A useful tip. Just in case the housing gets water in it again, do not push the white box the whole way down in the poly housing. Leave it halfway only. There is still room to lower the loading bay floor properly.

Now to find how water is getting in . This has never happened over 6 years ! It could be rain water tracking along from the sunroof channels, and failing to clear down the bodywork as it should. Something will be blocked. We have had loads of rain here in UK this month, and the Beemer gets little use…
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 12:03 PM   #3
marceloaugusto
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 2016

I connected to this platform just to thank for the response. I had the same issue with my 2016 X4, and the tips for solving the problem were precise. I successfully resolved the issue of this frequently sounding alarm.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Fredo190.50
      01-10-2024, 09:30 AM   #4
deyrag
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 2.8i

Most likely the source of water intrusion is around the high level brake light. Easy fix is to run a bead of silicone around the outside
Appreciate 0