BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
rucanips
Registered
Rep
Drives: 15' X3 x2.8i

Unhappy BMW High Pitch Noise 15' X3 x2.8i ( Whistling in your ear )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/151g...ew?usp=sharing <-- link to BMW High Pitch Noise while driving above 20mph

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well and appreciate the support.

I bought this 2015 BMW X3 2.8i xDrive one month ago at a BMW dealership and have put just under 1000 miles on it. There is this high pitch noise emanating throughout the vehicle. (please see link above to recording) I have a 60 day 3000 mile warranty that comes with the X3 from the dealer, I am 30 days and 2000 miles away from that expiring.

From the start of ownership, this noise has made my daily commute not enjoyable and I leave the car with that high pitch noise emanating in my head at work and when I come home. It's become unbearable.

It has been dropped off to BMW service at the dealership twice. The first time, the lead tech was in the car with me and acknowledged the noise, the second time we drove together, he was quiet and hesitant to say he heard it. An engineer was brought in to assess. After having a loaner for a few days, I arrived back both times, saying nothing is wrong.

I am not sure if its a differential bearing, or actual bearing or a vacuum somewhere in the engine.

Its not dependent on speed or gets louder as you go faster. If you go above 20mph, you start to hear it. As you're driving 80mph, it gets slightly drowned out by road noise but its always present until you drop below 20mph.
When you let go of the accelerator you hear It with more presence, or seems to be clearer to hear, that's why I am assuming some vacuum intake somewhere.
I do feel like its coming from the floor instead of the engine bay.

This is my 5th BMW but first with a turbo in it. Any questions or advice, please drop them my way.

Thank you.

Last edited by rucanips; 02-11-2021 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: easier to identify link to click on
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

It is kind of hard to hear when you listen, but you do hear it. It would have to get louder as you go faster for it to be a bearing. If you want to tell if it's a wheel bearing, see if the noise is present in a turn, both left and right. If it disappears on as you turn one way, it's a wheel bearing. As for a vacuum leak, I think if that was the case, the engine would run poorly. Have you looked under the car?
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Wind noise, drivers door
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
bmwx32015
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Did you figure out what the issue is?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

My daughter's 328i had a whistling noise independent of speed. It would do it when the motor was warmed up at lower rpms. We changed the valve cover and it took care of the problem. The pvc valve is integrated into the cover and apparently sometimes they can cause the whistle.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:09 AM   #6
ortus912
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Xdrive

did you solve the issue??

I am having the exact same noise and problem.

Problem is still present after replacing; transfer case, rear diff

If you found the solution please help me out!!

janghoon219@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucanips View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/151g...ew?usp=sharing <-- link to BMW High Pitch Noise while driving above 20mph

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well and appreciate the support.

I bought this 2015 BMW X3 2.8i xDrive one month ago at a BMW dealership and have put just under 1000 miles on it. There is this high pitch noise emanating throughout the vehicle. (please see link above to recording) I have a 60 day 3000 mile warranty that comes with the X3 from the dealer, I am 30 days and 2000 miles away from that expiring.

From the start of ownership, this noise has made my daily commute not enjoyable and I leave the car with that high pitch noise emanating in my head at work and when I come home. It's become unbearable.

It has been dropped off to BMW service at the dealership twice. The first time, the lead tech was in the car with me and acknowledged the noise, the second time we drove together, he was quiet and hesitant to say he heard it. An engineer was brought in to assess. After having a loaner for a few days, I arrived back both times, saying nothing is wrong.

I am not sure if its a differential bearing, or actual bearing or a vacuum somewhere in the engine.

Its not dependent on speed or gets louder as you go faster. If you go above 20mph, you start to hear it. As you're driving 80mph, it gets slightly drowned out by road noise but its always present until you drop below 20mph.
When you let go of the accelerator you hear It with more presence, or seems to be clearer to hear, that's why I am assuming some vacuum intake somewhere.
I do feel like its coming from the floor instead of the engine bay.

This is my 5th BMW but first with a turbo in it. Any questions or advice, please drop them my way.

Thank you.
This sounds exactly like my rear bearings failing on me. Exactly the same!! I took a wheel off and ran the car up to 80 MPH and could hear the extremely loud noise, which when heard from the inside is muffled to sound just like yours. Have the dealer remove the wheels and run the car up to speed with wheels off and just listen. Here's a video of mine. NOTE the sound is not the same heard from inside while driving with weight on the wheel as it does when the car is in the air. This happened to me at 75,000 miles, after bearings were replaced in the rear, noise was gone.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:58 AM   #8
rucanips
Registered
Rep
Drives: 15' X3 x2.8i

Solution found - rear differential replaced

Hello everyone I replace the rear differential and that eliminated the noise I was hearing. I put it in a secondhand used one that had approximately 45,000 miles on it from a 2014 BMW X3.
This has resolve the issue completely there is no more high pitch noise.
The bearings were definitely not the issue.
On a separate note my right rear spring cracked and broke I had to replace both the rear springs and shocks.

Thank you all for the support.
Appreciate 0