BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
micromyth
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 20d M Sport Auto Alpine Whi

BMW Connected Drive - Worth renewing?

I have just taken ownership of a 61 plate (2012) X3. I had the car for the past 6 months on lease as a company car and decided to purchase as my company is only offering an allowance going forward. I kept it as the spec had pretty much everything.

x3 F25 20D mSport xDrive Auto with Professional Nav, Head up Display, Heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, keyless drive and remote boot opening and all round reversing cameras. No DAB radio. Alpine white. Not sure how much of that was standard or options at the time

The Connected Drive would need to be re-registered and the yearly renewal. I did have this on a 3 series Sport Plus on a 60 plate (2011) and liked the google send to car feature, although with 2 smartphones (work and personal) that is less of a wow feature than it was 5 years ago.

So the crux of the matter.

Is there any particular benefit in renewing/re-registering connected drive and would any apps work with my phones. We are an Android house with HTC One (M7), Samsung Note 3 and Galaxy S5. I have already seen SMS and email don't work on the display.

Would an upgrade to DAB be worthwhile? I did see a youtube video where someone instead overlaid an Android touchscreen onto an E60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuFnTaZdED8&t=8s

Thoughts, comments and suggestions please?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
micromyth
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 20d M Sport Auto Alpine Whi

Just an update. I have been able to get SMS working even though my dealer stated they would not. Just a case of eventually getting to the menu to turn on office and pictures. Yet to see pictures in action but its a start.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromyth View Post
Just an update. I have been able to get SMS working even though my dealer stated they would not. Just a case of eventually getting to the menu to turn on office and pictures. Yet to see pictures in action but its a start.
You do not need ConnectedDrive for Office Functions. ConnnectedDrive is for remote features like Sent-to-Car and Flashing headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Do you have a ConnectedDrive account running with this car?

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...tal/dashboard/
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromyth View Post
So the crux of the matter.

Is there any particular benefit in renewing/re-registering connected drive and would any apps work with my phones. We are an Android house with HTC One (M7), Samsung Note 3 and Galaxy S5. I have already seen SMS and email don't work on the display.

Would an upgrade to DAB be worthwhile? I did see a youtube video where someone instead overlaid an Android touchscreen onto an E60.
I am an Android user as well. The only thing needed for SMS and email is 6NS EBT coded. SMS works over BT. Email only works, at least for me, using default mail app (white envelope with red @), not gmail; alternatively, it is slower, but with active ConnectedDrive account, you can pull in mail over German services by registering email accounts.

Apps like Spotify or Pandora will work without active ConnectedDrive account.

DAB is a personal preference. I just let my Satellite radio laps on one of my vehicles because I find local HD stations better and most of the time use flaac audio via USB.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
ptco911
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I am an Android user as well. The only thing needed for SMS and email is 6NS EBT coded. SMS works over BT. Email only works, at least for me, using default mail app (white envelope with red @), not gmail; alternatively, it is slower, but with active ConnectedDrive account, you can pull in mail over German services by registering email accounts.

Apps like Spotify or Pandora will work without active ConnectedDrive account.

DAB is a personal preference. I just let my Satellite radio laps on one of my vehicles because I find local HD stations better and most of the time use flaac audio via USB.

I have a 2017 X3 28i and thought I had figured out how to get to Pandora on my phone (Android). I have since gotten a new phone (Android) and am having trouble getting Pandora to show up. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptco911 View Post
I have a 2017 X3 28i and thought I had figured out how to get to Pandora on my phone (Android). I have since gotten a new phone (Android) and am having trouble getting Pandora to show up. Any suggestions?
No idea. I never stream bluetooth. I use USB's with flac audio.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 01:48 AM   #8
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Is it even one that expires - as long as you have an account registered to your car should be ok but try the link above. I certainly have not renewed mine and still showing active at nearly 4 years old.

Only thing I renew is RTTI (Real Time Traffic) at £40 a year (I think) as find it really handy.
Appreciate 0